Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog (2yo greyhound) wakes up every single morning between 5:45 and 6:15 and starts barking like crazy. Doesn't matter whether he sleeps in our room or in the next room. I've tried ignoring him and letting him bark but he won't stop and we have neighbours.. If I give him attention and play with him for a while he will stop and go back to sleep (and sleep like a baby for hours). I know that it's rewarding bad behaviour but I don't know what else to do. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hmm, sounds like he may be barking at something? Maybe one of the neighbors getting up or maybe he hears something outside? I would try and get up before he starts and give him lots of praise and treats for staying quiet. Without knowing if he's barking at something in the distance it might be tough, their hearing is so good it may be hard for you to pinpoint.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Does something happen at that time? The garbage truck? A train? Something? If he was a racing greyhound perhaps that's when they were fed breakfast and his body clock just wakes him up and tells him to bark ? Otherwise maybe just wake up around 5:40 before the barking starts and give him a kong with peanut butter or something. That way he's distracted and you're not rewarding the barking, you're heading it off at the pass.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trying to wake up before him is a good idea. Maybe trying to do that a few days in a row and see what happens? I don't think that anything is going on at the time, at least I can't hear anything, the whole building seems quiet and we're on the 6th floor so there isn't a lot of noise from outside.. I really think that it's about him being bored and wanting my attention. (we've tried taking him for a really long walk the evening before, he was exhausted but still did his thing in the morning). He only started doing this in the last month or so and we've had him since September, so it probably isn't connected to his previous life in the kennels..

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Him just wanting your attention is possible but he's a dog so he might very well be hearing something we humans aren't capable of hearing as well. Let us know how giving him something before the barking starts works!

Reactions: kj21
1 - 5 of 5 Posts