Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't take it! Dog hair everywhere! There will be days I'll jus be sitting around and discover that there's a dog hair in my mouth. When I'm done eating, I sometimes see a small dog hair in my bowl because a little bit flew through the air.

Dog hair all over my clothes and bedding and socks. Even washing twice and drying twice with dryer sheets, and they come out of the dryer with dog hair n them. And they are actually woven in there - they don't come off with a lint brush.

Anyway, this is the thread to discuss your tips and questions related to keep your home and clothes clean with a shedding dog. How do you get them off your coat? How do you do laundry? Does dog friendly bedding work, and is it worth the money?

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
How often are you cleaning? Carpet or hard flooring? With carpet I vacuumed quickly once or twice a day and thoroughly once a week and I found that was sufficient. With hardwood...I've been sweeping less and vacuuming less and mopping and it's not sufficient, but I've been more lax because of other things (still, one good clean weekly). It sort of collects under the bed and I clean that out once a week at worst.

I have allergies, so this is actually super important for me. Not that I mind fur.

Laundry: work clothing/hang to dry clothing gets done in a separate wash than casuals. Barn clothes gets its own wash too ;) Casual laundry is mostly cotton and fabrics that don't attract fur. I have one shirt that will act as a fur combiner in the dryer so it gets hung to dry and is worn less often if I'm being honest.

Bedding: I don't let Koda on until I've made the bed, the bed is almost always made, and I made a jean quilt which really doesn't trap hair all that well but is great at protecting everything underneath it. Its starting to show signs of wear from how much use it gets-I never take it off the bed and we play/wrestle/everything on there.

Coat: My work coat gets put on the 'nice coats' side of the closet, others go on the other side. My coat smells sometimes but fur isn't really a problem because I go for waterproof everything when I can. My work one is wool, so I just keep it away and safe. Dogs are crated so I have a chance to take it off anyways, but if not training a wait on your mat until I visit would be sufficient.

Any other questions? XD I've definitely got a practiced hand at this.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Umm I'm afraid I don't even notice it anymore. I cannot remember the last time I left the house without dog hair on my clothes.

The covers on the dog beds get washed once a week, the blankets in their crates get washed once a week, and the blankets we put on the couch get washed once a week.

I sweep every morning and I wash the floors (tile) once or twice a week.

The dogs get brushed daily but really I just don't care all that much about dog hair! maybe if we were social people I'd be more concerned but the only people that visit are people with multiple dogs of their own.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Last night I saw this post and thought I wouldn't ever have anything to post because Stella is a low to moderate shedder and Tyrion doesn't shed at all. Then I went to get ready for bed and found a Stella hair on my toothbrush. : |

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I find the hair to be kind of hilarious. Like I'll be cooking in the kitchen and you see some hair float by your face. It doesn't bother me at all. We have those sticky rollers to use before we go to work. I vacuum one every couple of days, and wash bedding once a week.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Instead of offering tips, I've got none other than clean more frequently and feeding a high quality diet/omega 3s to reduce shedding. I've come to a place in my life where I accept the fur. Fur at my home is both a fashion statement AND a condiment. I clean frequently, but I have a lab mix so my cleaning is negligible.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
230 Posts
Vacuum ALOT, use a good comb when brushing, and good food. I got annoyed today cause i was wearing a black sweatshirt that was very staticy and wpuld attravh the dog hair right after i ised a lint roller. But then again its part od owning pets

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
See my sig line...lol

I vacuum several times a week...to try to keep the hair down and brush HaHa almost every day. Jaya is a bit trickier, as she still scares so easily when being handled...but I do try to brush her about once every two weeks...and then it's just very gentle, slowly done and I stop brushing her when it looks like she's getting too stressed by it.

When I fix food for myself, the dog are not allowed in the kitchen, but if I'm fixing a dinner because a friend is coming over to eat, I will vacuum the house first, then sweep the kitchen floor and wipe down the counters....after which, I go and change my shirt...as a new shirt won't have the chance to collect dog hair like the other one did during the day and while cleaning. I then wash my hands and arms...just to make sure no dog hair there either.

I don't really care for dog hair in my food...if I'm alone and eating and see one, it's just kind of a shrug my shoulders and remove it...don't like it but it doesn't freak me out. But if I have company over, I would be utterly embarrassed if I served them food with a dog hair in it...so I do my best to try to prevent that.

Jaya and HaHa are allowed to follow me into the kitchen, but not when I'm cooking...also Haha is a licker....a person's hands are not safe around the dog...lol
So, another thing I end up doing through out the day is washing my hands.

When I cook, if I do leave the kitchen I try to avoid the dogs...so as not to bring dog hair back into the kitchen. It almost kills HaHa that I won't pet him 24/7 but he's resigned to the fact that sometimes for a half hour or more, I'm not going to pet him. He'll actually mope about, his feelings hurt when I do that. Silly boy.

As others said, hair floats...so sometimes it's unavoidable to totally get away from it, but I think a lot can be done to reduce the chances of it working itself into dinner. :p

Stormy

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
funny song...lol

I wear glasses and I think hair gets trapped between them and my eyes. I once told my brother once, that I've pulled enough cat and dog hair out of my eyes over the years, to knit a sweater with... ugh...

Stormy

·
Registered
917 Posts
It's simple, I don't worry about dog hair, or cat hair. It's just hair, I find mine everywhere too. I do like that my dane has really short hair and it's black. I normally wear black and other dark colors so you don't really see it. Hair is just part of having a dog.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I hate seeing dog hair. Being a neat freak, it grosses me out. Thankfully, my dog doesn't shed.

However, a German Shepard used to live in the house I'm living in for this year and I still see it's hair everywhere. The rolly things, vacuums etc can't seem to get it all up. It's so gross.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Though my current mixed breed dog is quite long-haired (see avatar), he sheds less than any of my previous long-haired mixes. However, today, after I applied some peppermint lip balm, he jumped in my lap, smelled it, and did his best to lick it off (guess it tasted good). In the process, I not only lost the lip balm but gained a hairy upper lip. So, he does shed some and sometimes it's definitely noticeable.

Two dogs back, I had someone ask me where I'd found the old-fashioned angel hair on my Christmas tree and why I'd only spread it on the lower quarter of my tree. I told her that it was not angel hair, but dog hair, and the dog was short, so he only managed to shed on the lower part of the tree. I offered to brush out a bag of "angel hair" for her own tree, but she declined the offer.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Guess I'm really grateful that Samantha doesn't shed. We knew before we adopted her, that we wanted a non-shedding dog knowing the trade off was monthly trips to the groomer and daily brushing. After six years, its all worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts