Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well I would just call around the labrador breeders in your area and see if they have any available, or if they will. Otherwise you can go to Warne's Labs website, they're a wellknown fox red lab breeder. They even ship anywhere across the US if you aren't near them, but I'd check how it's done.
This is their website.
Fox Red Labradors | Labrador Retriever |

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The website seems to mention that the reason they breed the labs is to keep the fox red gene. If that's all they are breeding for, that's a really poor reason. I don't see any titles or points at all when you look at the dog's pedigree. (The few websites I found of reputable breeders usually show pictures of their dogs titles and points and even announces when they will be going to shows and where they will be going.)

If I were you OP, when you contact this website, I would be asking tons of questions. Here is a good sticky http://www.dogforum.com/new-additions/considerations-before-buying-puppy-11762/ Blue Pup really hits the nail on the spot.

Take a list of questions and bring it to that breeder in the website provided and hopefully they will be able to answer everything with confidence. Breeding for color first is usually something I steer clear away from when looking for a breeder because as much as I love 'reds' and red sables, and sables, I am first looking for a well adjusted, most healthies pup I can find. But who knows, maybe they didn't need to put the points their dogs earned on their website. It would be awesome if they did field work with them. That would be a big plus in breeding for me if I were looking into labradors of fox red.

Reactions: Grabby

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Some labs change color as the get older and with the season. Colder temps = more fur = darker color. So even if more yellowish at first they can get darker.

Here is Simba in the summer:

Here he is a few weeks ago in the winter (yes his tail is in eminent danger of being evaluated as a chew toy):

He was an adoption so I have no idea if his color is intentional or not.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'll definitely be the first to admit I know next to nothing about breeders, all mine are shelter dogs. I was just suggesting a site for them to look into, I didn't really read through it because I honestly don't know what to really focus on, but I'm very grateful for being informed about this kind of stuff. I'm really learning a lot from this place. I just sort of assume the OP knows what to look for in the sites I give.. probably should have mentioned that..

Reactions: natenqen

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I'll definitely be the first to admit I know next to nothing about breeders, all mine are shelter dogs. I was just suggesting a site for them to look into, I didn't really read through it because I honestly don't know what to really focus on, but I'm very grateful for being informed about this kind of stuff. I'm really learning a lot from this place. I just sort of assume the OP knows what to look for in the sites I give.. probably should have mentioned that..
a bit off topic, I was the same as you until I found this site and found everyone helpful and open minded.(though it's hard to tell if someone is being rude or not) I just skimmed through the site and it said that the dogs he got were champion lines, which doesn't really say anything for the first two pups he got unless he did shows or some sort of field, hunting, ect work.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I didn't even look at the site you posted. The OP may not care that breeding Labs for a specific color is not good practice for the health of the breed. I don't usually spend much time trying to sugar coat my opinion but sometimes I come off harsher than I intend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts