Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
This is my first post and I have a question that is weighing heavy on me.
I have three large dogs. An almost 8yo Great Pyrenees, 5yo Bernese Mountain Dog and a Newfoundland pup.
My pup has been a major picky eater since we brought her home. To the point where she would go days without eating. I was so concerned about it I was desperate to find anything she would eat! She has never seemed to like kibble and though I tried watering it down (which helped some but she would basically only eat to find the water), adding broth, warming it, picking up after 15m (which she cared less about), even giving her chicken was no treat. Nothing seemed to work. The only times she would eat some was when my Pyr got too close. This has and still does occasionally cause full out fights. She didnt want the food but she didnt want anyone else having it either! She would make sure my Berner didnt get to eat either but it didnt cause fights. Once she had "taken" their food (taking a few bites until he gave up and left or my pyr backed down) she would then stop eating.
I took her to the vet and had extensive blood work, stool and urine tests done. Nothing could be found wrong. The head vet was even asked because the vet working with us was baffled. My pup wasnt eating, was barely gaining weight and seemed to stop growing.
I had a pup years ago who had congenital renal failure and passed at 11 months. She was extremely sick those 11 months. My pup now is nothing like she was (was my first thought). My newf is full of energy. She has more energy than any pup I've had lol. She looks proportioned just very small. I have looked up everything I can find on stunted growth, even dwarfisim (and anything else). Nothing fits her.
I had thought she was around 10 months now but she actually almost a year old now. She fluctuates between 50-60lbs and is only about 20-21inches at withers. I keep hoping she is just growing at extremely slow rate and will soon have a growth spurt but being her age Im starting to panic.
Recently she has begun eating and eating way better than ever. It almost feels like its too late now though! It has been so frustrating and heartbreaking. Besides her size, she appears perfectly healthy. No problems at all besides eating. I just dont know what to do and worry she will be a mini newfie forever.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Is there a chance she might have a skeletal disorder? or Are you sure she is purebred?

She doesn't seem that short, I thought that Newfies ranged from 26-28 in. She more just seems super light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is purebred yes. I have her CKC papers. I looked somewhat into that but not a lot. I am not overly familiar with skeletal issues. She has no issues with movement, joint pain or stiffness, leaping, jumping (can jump onto my bed, which my boys cannot, with ease), running, etc. I'll look a little closer into that. I know someone who has a pup from the same breeder, different parents though, whose dog is two months older but weighed 140lbs and was 33+in before a year old. My sons father has a dog also from same breeder who developed hip dysplasia by 2yo.

·
Registered
880 Posts
@julietspage1 My cousin, who is a vet, said that Newfies can be prone to some heart value problems such as Pulmonic Stenosis and Subvalvular Aortic Stenosis that can cause "poor weight gain or lack of appetite" (most involve a wait and see approach to treatment once diagnosed). She said from the description of your pup that she would have her heart checked out for a murmur, noting that sometimes these murmurs will not be picked up in a basic routine vet check up (without the chest x-ray, ekg, or echo if the are low grade). She said an chest X-ray, EKG, or Echo-cardiogram are the best was to ensure that this is or is not what is going on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@TruckersMom Thank you for asking your cousin (please thank her for me as well). This is not something that would have ever crossed my mind! I would not have put the two areas together to being the issue. I will def look into this more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just wanted to give an update on my girl. I went and got a third opinion from another vet (whom I ended up switching all my pets to). Second vet just said switch her food and had no clue. Being I've done this multiple times with no success, I wasn't put much faith in this vet. Third vet had many suggestions and listened to mine. We had her tested for EPI, IBS and B12. All came back fine. Her pancreas, liver, kidneys, etc are all fine. She's anemic. That's is still the only thing that shows! I decided to give in and start giving her raw. I do the pre-made patties, and give 2-3 patties in the morning and kibble in the afternoon with another pattie at night. The vet has her on prednisone hoping it will stimutate her appetite more. In the week between second and third vet, (two days on the patties), she gained 7lbs, so the hope is the patties and prednisone will get her really eating! She loves the patties. I think she would eat the entire bag in one day if I let her lol.

The thing is she still seems so small. She is 14 months and still hasn't gotten much taller. We still don't know why she has had such high a hard time gaining and keeping weight on or why she hasn't grown to "full Newfie height" or if she will now. Her attitude has improved but there are still times her and my pyr fight. I basically need to separate her when any food is around, whether it be hers or mine.

Is it still possible for her to get to normal height now? I guess she has grown some as my 6'4 son says he doesn't have enough to bend as far to pet her now lol. I just worry I didnt do enough for her.

·
Registered
880 Posts
@julietspage1 I am glad she is all okay :) It is sometimes fine to be little and dainty ;)

Is she a resource guarded?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol I like how you put that! She gaurds food, whether it be hers or mine it seems. So we keep her away when we eat and feed the boys separately from her. Seems to be working. She is fine with toys though and likes to play when the boys are willing! Lol.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My dog was a very bad eater. It took me quite a few foods to figure out what really works for her. (it was blue Seal Natural 26) The only other dog food she will eat is the disgusting kibbles and bits she had in the shelter before I got her. She also is a grazer. Putting food out for her in 15 minute increments only made her starve herself and get so weak she didn't want to eat. Or, she'd bindge and then throw up. Changes in routine will also make her stop eating...my parents visited this weekend and she didn't eat for about 48 hours. She is bribe-able though. In general I think she just has a small stomach....and she needs lots of little "meals" throughout the day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@seashoreduck that is exactly how my girl is! It makes me feel a bit relieved honestly that its not just her! The raw patties have been doing wonders. My son was so determined the other day she had gained more weight he attempted to weigh her again. Since I first wrote all this, she is up roughly 12lbs! Its shocking and amazing. I had really started to believe she would meber gain weight. It still worries me how small she is. I try to tell myself she seems smaller next to my boys, even though she is only a few inches shorter than my Berner, but he is only about 26in. (she is about 3 or so in shorter)
She is in the weaning off stage from the pred now. I was apprehensive about putting her on it. I feel its more the food than the meds helping with the weight gain but I'm sure it has helped too.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It sounds like you just may a petite female as far as height is concerned, but if you want her to gain weight because she is too thin, go online and get the recipe for 'Satin Balls' this is used to put weight on dogs and has been used by show breeders for eons!
Really easy to make and since it uses raw hamburger most dogs relish it!!!!

P.S. DO get off the pred! Very harmful in the long run!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts