Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm heading to the army in about 2-3 weeks, I have 2 dogs and I live alone. Here comes the problem....I'm only allowed to go home on the weekends (sometimes not at all), so I'm not sure how to care for my pets when they are home alone. They are potty trained but sometimes they do make mistakes and mess up the place, another issue is bringing them for walks as well as feeding them on a daily basis. I'm quite cash strapped as well so I won't be able to hire someone to come over to my place to feed them daily. Is my only option to send them for adoption? I've had them for 7-8 years now and I don't want to part with them.

Edit: 1 is a Japanese Spitz, the other is Jack Russell/Chihuahua mix (This one was adopted)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can't help you but can you tell me what breed this dog i
You cannot possibly leave two dogs alone all week , thats the idea Im getting from your post.

If you are going to be away a long time and cannot afford care then yes re-homng is your best option.
Leaving them to fend for themselves would be classed as neglect.
Yes that's exactly what I'm trying to say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course you cannot leave them for a week at a time.

Do you have friends or family who could take them?
Nope, only have a sister but she has her own family and hate pets. As for friends, most of them would rather get a new puppy than adopt a new pet. I'm wondering if there are any solutions that exist and I don't know about.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You say you are going into the military in many countries there are organisations and volunteers who are willing to step up and help out military personnel maybe you could reach out and look for one of these kind of groups they might know away to Foster your dogs during the week so that you could still have them when you come home at weekend and when you have finished your Tour of duty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You say you are going into the military in many countries there are organisations and volunteers who are willing to step up and help out military personnel maybe you could reach out and look for one of these kind of groups they might know away to Foster your dogs during the week so that you could still have them when you come home at weekend and when you have finished your Tour of duty
Thanks, I'll have a look into this!

·
Registered
Z, Rescue Mutt
206 Posts
Would none of your friends be willing to babysit, not adopt, your dogs?
As for friends, most of them would rather get a new puppy than adopt a new pet.

·
Registered
Perseus, retriever, 5 years
5 Posts
If you don't have acquaintances who could just come to walk and feed the dogs, I advise you to hire a special person for this or put them in a hotel for dogs, and on the weekend you will pick them up. Just don't leave them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts