Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking into putting up some fencing in my yard to have a space for my puppy to run and play. Anyway, I would like to know what you guys use and if you have ever used the in ground fencing. The invisible dog fence. Maybe share some pros and cons to each fence. The reason I was looking into the invisible pet fencing was because I know the wood fencing is costly to have someone do it. So I would have to put it up myself. So share your thoughts on it. Tell me what you payed...etc

This is what I was looking at
Amazon.com : PetSafe In-Ground Radio Fence : PetSafe : Wireless Pet Fence Products : Pet Supplies

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use the petsafe for our dogs and it really works for us and our dogs. I think it all depends on the dog and how big they are. It is easy was to train our dogs ( they are both hound lab mixes) and they respond very well to it. Our neighbors have a big boxer mix that constantly gets out loose and runs away almost every couple days that have the same invisible fence but. It all depends on the dog and there size. I would give it a try because it is a really great system to use. We have had our fence for over five years with no problems and we installed it ourselves. Good luck:)

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
So I am looking into putting up some fencing in my yard to have a space for my puppy to run and play. Anyway, I would like to know what you guys use and if you have ever used the in ground fencing. The invisible dog fence. Maybe share some pros and cons to each fence. The reason I was looking into the invisible pet fencing was because I know the wood fencing is costly to have someone do it. So I would have to put it up myself. So share your thoughts on it. Tell me what you payed...etc

This is what I was looking at
Amazon.com : PetSafe In-Ground Radio Fence : PetSafe : Wireless Pet Fence Products : Pet Supplies

Go with the wood fence. I can pull you some threads about people asking for help because they had an invisible fence and their dog was so scared to get shocked that they would not go into the yard.

The other drawbacks of invisible fences are that dogs can and do run through them and then are afraid to go back into the yard. They do not keep any other animal from coming into your yard. They can stop operating and when that happens the owner does not know about it until they find out their dog is exploring the neighborhood.

Stick with a good solid fence, it's more expensive but well worth the peace of mind it will give you if it's set up well, and does not have any of the risk that invisible fences have. It has the added benefit that your puppy will not be shocked and potentially learn that the yard is a dangerous place to be because he does not know what hurt him just that something did.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I use the petsafe for our dogs and it really works for us and our dogs. I think it all depends on the dog and how big they are. It is easy was to train our dogs ( they are both hound lab mixes) and they respond very well to it. Our neighbors have a big boxer mix that constantly gets out loose and runs away almost every couple days that have the same invisible fence but. It all depends on the dog and there size. I would give it a try because it is a really great system to use. We have had our fence for over five years with no problems and we installed it ourselves. Good luck:)
It doesn't depend on the size of the dog, it depends on the temperament and how bad the dog wants to go after whatever it is they desire. Some dogs are willing to risk the shock and leave the yard for whatever reason, others become to petrified of the shock to go into the yard, and others are like your dog and it does work to keep them in the yard. Unfortunately even it it works with your dog it will not keep other animals out of your yard, if your neighbor's boxer mix wanted to he could come into your yard and start a fight with your dogs.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree it depends on the dog. I've known some that do great with in ground fences, but others that just run through. Personally I would never use them because i would be too afraid of an animal getting my dogs. Lots of loose dogs and coyotes around here, and i would never take the chance.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Wood fencing. Aside from the problems that can crop up (like @Rain mentioned, my old neighbours had a terrier mix who is ALWAYS out on the road, despite them having an underground fence), I'm way more worried about other animals getting in than my guys getting out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would say a wooden fence. You don't have to worry about your dogs getting out or other dogs getting in. My neighbors have a beautiful backyard so they went with the invisible fence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts