Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some things we can practice to work on Nala's impulse control? My main problem is around other dogs. Now that my boss has allowed me to bring Nala to work, everyone's decided they want their dogs here too which is totally fine.. BUT Nala is blocked off in my cubicle, she sleeps under my desk 90% of the time and the other dogs that are now in the office have free range and run around the office as they please. This has been disrupting Nala's routine and she now whines and whines because the other dogs are up and walking around while she's sectioned in my cubicle. It's not that I don't trust her, it's just that IMO it's work, not a puppy playdate so she shouldn't be running a muck around a place of business, she should be calm cool and collected under my desk as she had been previously. So what can I do to calm her impulse to want to escape and play? Please keep in mind that no treats/bones/toys/etc stand a match for another dog in Nala's world.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've taken my puppy to work since I adopted him at 10weeks of age. He's now 4.5 months old and is pretty good. I make sure he gets a LONG walk before coming in to work so that all excess energy is gone. He also loves bully sticks so I make sure he has one. I am allowed two 15 min breaks and one 30 min break and take him on brisk walks during each one. The walks REALLY help him, and if you can manage, I definitely recommend it. OR if your dog has more energy than that, I really advocate taking the dog jogging or biking in the morning. The extra exercise can only benefit you both, as hard as it might be at first. It's an awesome way to keep dog's fit and happy, my older one really enjoys his bike runs.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've taken my puppy to work since I adopted him at 10weeks of age. He's now 4.5 months old and is pretty good. I make sure he gets a LONG walk before coming in to work so that all excess energy is gone. He also loves bully sticks so I make sure he has one. I am allowed two 15 min breaks and one 30 min break and take him on brisk walks during each one. The walks REALLY help him, and if you can manage, I definitely recommend it. OR if your dog has more energy than that, I really advocate taking the dog jogging or biking in the morning. The extra exercise can only benefit you both, as hard as it might be at first. It's an awesome way to keep dog's fit and happy, my older one really enjoys his bike runs.
Thank you for your input, but we do all of that and then some. She gets raw bones, kongs with PB, knucklebones, bully sticks, etc. Nothing lasts more than 30 minutes. She gets 2 15 min breaks, we're only here 6 hours so no lunch. In the morning she gets at least an hour at the dog park right before we go to work, plus a walk first thing in the morning and 30 minutes of a food puzzle. It's not the energy that's the problem, it's when the other dogs are here, she can't help but to whine and want to be with them. She's fine when they're not loose or around, but when they're running around the office while she's restricted, she gets antsy. It's an impulse control issue, not that she doesn't get enough exercise.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Have you tried rewarding calmness? Anytime she's just laying down and being chill, click/treat, or marker word/treat, or just treat, or whatever works for you :p. Do this when there aren't dogs around, but also when there are. Maybe even up the reward when there are other dogs present, if it seems really difficult for her.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried rewarding calmness? Anytime she's just laying down and being chill, click/treat, or marker word/treat, or just treat, or whatever works for you :p. Do this when there aren't dogs around, but also when there are. Maybe even up the reward when there are other dogs present, if it seems really difficult for her.
Yeah, I try and her puppy-ness goes in overdrive lmao. We're doing LAT in class so I've been trying to work on that with dogs barking in the apartment and the jingling of their tags because even if she hears another dog is in the office she's like "OMG FRIEND FRIEND FRIEND WHERE?!" hahahha. I'm hoping after trying a couple different things including to keep rewarding calmness, SOMETHING will work. Or maybe just time will be our savior, she's almost a year now so I'm hoping this ADD puppy attention span is about to end lol

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Yeah, I try and her puppy-ness goes in overdrive lmao. We're doing LAT in class so I've been trying to work on that with dogs barking in the apartment and the jingling of their tags because even if she hears another dog is in the office she's like "OMG FRIEND FRIEND FRIEND WHERE?!" hahahha. I'm hoping after trying a couple different things including to keep rewarding calmness, SOMETHING will work. Or maybe just time will be our savior, she's almost a year now so I'm hoping this ADD puppy attention span is about to end lol
Could be worse, my old dog was not thinking "friend" when he got worked up about other dogs.

Impulse control exercises and generally rewarding calmness all day long can go further than you think. It's all about encouraging a mindset of thinking before acting and just generally being calmer. It does take time, though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Has she been introduced to the dogs? Maybe she'd be less frustrated if she meets them? The only other thing I can think of is try to find something more rewarding than the other dogs..

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forget she's still young but I will continue to just drop treats as she hangs out on her bed. She' has met the other dogs, she's just SO friendly she can't help herself lol. I've been using cheese and hot dogs and though it's been working a bit better, definitely not something that catches her attention too easily if she's already seen the other dog. She's more likely to take the cheese or real meat but we still have a lot of work ahead of us, most of the "high value" dog treats we use she will just spit out or turn her nose

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.