Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this sort of came up in another thread, but what are some games you play with your dogs to work on impulse control?

Here are a few video's I've found:

I'd be interested at seeing any other games people have come up with too, to practice and make things fun all the time.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I need to get Ion's impulse control trick recorded... I'll do that tomorrow when I have light. ;) This was my bomb proof demonstration for the Therapy Dog class and they LOVED seeing it!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I'll take another one tomorrow with a tennis ball. The cheese looks impressive, but it's really not when you consider how motion sensitive he is. The fact that he will wait while a tennis ball is being thrown across the room....Now that's something!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ok, here we go... Ion is now a registered Therapy Dog, and has been since he was a little over a year. "Leave it" is critical in a place where stray pills could be on the floor or other harmful substances. The first time I did this I demonstrated in the Therapy Dog class where I was a student. Ion was 9 months old, and yes I was explaining to the class how I taught him how to do this while he was sitting there... drooling, but being a good boy. ;) I also demonstrated this trick for the evaluator at the Hospice program I am involved in, she had never seen someone come into the program before with this level of connection. Ion and I have such a deep bond, and we'd been working as a team for year already in nursing homes and such. She likes how it demonstrates understanding and thought... oh yes, he wants those! He is tempted... but nope, mom said 'leave it', alright.
Impulse Control Demonstration: Ion - YouTube

Little mister Presto. Life is all about balls... umm, TENNIS balls! He's bonkers for them, but there is a flip side to these toys. This once car chaser who had no ability to stop his raging adrenalin at the age of 7 months when I first obtained him shows that even though he is intensely, ravenously craving that little rolling sphere he will wait til he hears the command... note, I did continue to talk during his stay. He was listening for that 'ok!' Which will be critical for when he runs agility.
Impulse Control Demonstration: Presto - YouTube

On a side note... too long to type again, but I noted some very serious impulse control over the last two days with Presto here: http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training/prestos-progress-80706/

·
Registered
572 Posts
Manna is still learning impulse control. I can't quite put a steak in front of her or spell her name out in kibble, but I can put grandma lucy's peanutters in front of her now. (big improvement from before)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
For some reason they tend to do one or two steps back for the meatball. First pic is Mia and the second is Mia and Lady together. With regular treats they will get up close and wait, but whenever I use something really enticing, they step back a bit. Maybe it's too tempting! lol

DSCN1495.jpg

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts