Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 year old schnauzer and a new 2 year old cairn terrier.

How long before the older dog stops marking his territory through the house, shaking, being grumpy, wtc?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I would go to a vet and have them neutered/spayed, and the scent gland removed.
Why would you have anal glands removed?

Op, do your dogs have kennels? I've found that each dog having it's own quiet space with 4 walls and a roof - don't need to lock them in - tends to change the dynamics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both are neutered.

I have a crate playpen coming for the 2yr old this week. The older one has a den in front of the fireplace, but yesterday morning the younger one I impedance clean over him into the fireplace and was covered with soot!

But with such a huge added differencell and routine adjustments, how long would it take for them to finally get comfortable with each other?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
When I first met the GF, she had the minpin but brought the husky cross farm dog in from the farm. Dynamics weren't good, the pin had a kennel, the husky didn't although she had a large bed of her own. The moment I brought the kennel in from the garage and set her up with a blanket, everything changed. Just the simple walls and a roof.

They both acted guarded of one another while in the kennel, but that was the time it took for them to work things out.

May be nothing, may be something. If you have a box, tape it up, cut a hole and toss in a blanket for the younger dog. Something to try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why would you have anal glands removed?

Op, do your dogs have kennels? I've found that each dog having it's own quiet space with 4 walls and a roof - don't need to lock them in - tends to change the dynamics.
How else would he get the Alpha male to stop marking his territory in his house?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I first met the GF, she had the minpin but brought the husky cross farm dog in from the farm. Dynamics weren't good, the pin had a kennel, the husky didn't although she had a large bed of her own. The moment I brought the kennel in from the garage and set her up with a blanket, everything changed. Just the simple walls and a roof.

They both acted guarded of one another while in the kennel, but that was the time it took for them to work things out.

May be nothing, may be something. If you have a box, tape it up, cut a hole and toss in a blanket for the younger dog. Something to try.

So it may be possible with this play pen crate that the 2yr old has his own little spot and that should ease tensions?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I agree with @jagger. Putting a 12 year old dog through surgery is kind of insane.

This is tough for a 12 year old dog to have an annoying 2 year old dog around all of a sudden. :p Give them the opportunity to get away from each other, and supervise their interactions. If the two year old is bugging the 2 year old, separate them. They'll adjust.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
So it may be possible with this play pen crate that the 2yr old has his own little spot and that should ease tensions?
It might, it might not but it's in the category of won't hurt to try.

When the two dogs finally had their own kennel, it was kind of cute - they defined their own space in a hurry and each stayed out of the others' spaces. It was like the husky was put out cause she didn't have what the little feller had.

·
Registered
911 Posts
This isn't 'alpha' anything. All dogs will have different reactions and take different amounts of time to adjust. Giving both dogs their own space is a great idea. Don't let the new dog mob your older guy. When I first brought Freyja home Shorty wasn't thrilled and Vegas hid upstairs for about a week. Shorty came around first, now they are always together. Vegas deals with her. I let them meet, but made sure not to over do it.
The marking, make sure you clean it up with a good enzyme cleaner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now the major problem is our older dog is CONSTANTLY marking his territory through the whole house. He gets walked plenty but during the night he gets near the new dogs crate and urinates or poo full force. Any solutions to this?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Now the major problem is our older dog is CONSTANTLY marking his territory through the whole house. He gets walked plenty but during the night he gets near the new dogs crate and urinates or poo full force. Any solutions to this?
Frying pan to the fire. Seems the older dog just doesn't like having another dog around. How were these dogs introduced? What's your typical regimen for exercise and such? Do you walk them together or separate? Any off leash time for either dog?

Maybe just separating them for a bit would help.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You could always get a belly band for the male that is marking. It at least stops them from peeing on things for now. Did he used to mark before you got the new dog? At his age he could possibly be having a problem holding his pee.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Frying pan to the fire. Seems the older dog just doesn't like having another dog around. How were these dogs introduced? What's your typical regimen for exercise and such? Do you walk them together or separate? Any off leash time for either dog?

Maybe just separating them for a bit would help.
They were introduced on neutral turf at a park. Then again to another park, then finally to the yard and in our house. Walks are 3-4 times a day at 20 mins a clip. There is play in the house with bones and chew toys. They each have their own leash so my wife takes one then I take the other. I'm at a loss.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Only other thing I can think of is to walk them separately for a while, give the older dog a break.

Other than that, try restricting water intake in the evening and make sure the old dog gets outside for a pee and poop just before you close down for the night.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.