Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm interested in any personal experience or research about the impact of a puppy being surrogated a week after birth.

A litter of puppies - which I am keen to have one of - was surrogated to several other dogs (all with their own puppies) after a problem with the bitch (she is ok now). They will return to the breeder once they have been weened at 5 weeks old. Some of the puppies have had two surrogates, but all have remained with at least one other litter mate.

I'm cautious as I have no idea whether this would have an impact on their character and behaviour later. Any advice would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
I do not have direct experience, but reason says the puppies should be just fine as they are getting socialization with "peers" and also getting mothering too! I would not hesitate to adopt such a pup.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My beautiful puppy was sent to a surrogate mother - of another breed - when her mum ran out of milk to feed all the puppies.

She was a bouncy gorgeous puppy who interacted with her brother and sisters when she saw them, she never displayed any traits out of the ordinary and was one of the most loving and even tempered dogs.

She had a nurturing personality toward the many foster puppies I have brought home and she was an adorable dog, right until the day she was died.

So much of what a dog becomes is in their owners hands. Love them, and they will reward you with every moment of their being.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.