Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a dog that has this immune issue? Ours was just diagnosed. He has Valley Fever which we're trying to control w/ Fluconazole, but when doing platelet check before neutering, the vet found his platelets were down again and so they couldn't do the operation. He said he most likely have this immune disease and put him on prednisone to see if we can get platelets back up.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Ours has an Immune System disorder, but in her case it manifests neurologically. After many tests, and with a neurologist on-board taking care of her, the diagnosis was 'sterile meningitis'. No bacteria, no virus, just that her immune system was attacking her central nervous system. She was treated with mega doses of prednisone, to attempt to 'mute' her immune system. The side effects were terrible, but we got through the ordeal, and eventually she appeared to be in remission. The neurologist slowly withdrew her from the prednisone, and eventually took her off it entirely. Unfortunately within about 10 days, she relapsed, so was out back on another run of prednisone. This time when she appeared to be under control, her dosage was gradually reduced to a very low every other day dose. which she has been on for about the past two years. She is in full remission, and gets bloodwork every four or five months, to monitor her possible reaction to the medication. So far so good, her Vets, yes she has multiples, are pleased with her current status. With any autoimmune disorder, treatment is very imprecise and varies with each case. About all I can suggest, is follow your Vets advice and resign yourself to the very real possibility that its going to be a long and uncertain road ahead. Keep us posted, and I certainly wish you and your doggy the best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much for your reply. glad your doggy is doing better and glad that is seems that it can eventually be manageable. so frustrating, but I know it could be worse. i'll keep you posted! thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts