Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

our Border Collie Mix (boy, 8 years old) was diagnosed with IMHA (Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia) 5 weeks ago.
It started out of nothing. After noticing he was not running around like crazy on our morning walk, we took him to the vet a couple of hours later. They ran a lot of different tests and put him on Prednisolone and Imuran and Clopidrogel. His hematocrit was 15%.
After a couple of days he got a single blood transfusion and they added Ciclosporine to his meds. After a week, his hematocrit went up to 22 and he felt way better. After another week, he completely lost his appetite, he seemed to have an upset stomach and had diarrhea but is hematocrit was around 30. He was treated with antibiotics and felt better within two days. Since that, he eats and poops normal, his hematocrit is at 33% His prednisolone was reduced to 1mg / kg (he is about 20kgs). So on paper, everything seems to be going okay.
We are really happy with our vet and I´m sure he is doing a great job.

My question is:
He is still very very weak. He has problems getting up, doesn´t want to go outside or do anything. He ist just laying on the floor mostly sleeping. He eats a lot which is great but I can´t see any improvement in his mood. He lost most of his muscles due to the lack of movement and the prednisolone I guess. Can this alone cause his "depressed" behaviour?
Right now he gets another round of antibiotics (doxycycline to ensure there are no tick born infections going on, eventhough all tests were negative at the beginning). He is on day two and no improvement, but I think thats too early to tell.

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would say, first consult with your vet and find out what is recommended in the way of getting some exercise. If it is medically sound for him to walk around, try luring him from one side of the room to the other with treats, and getting him to walk across the room for his meals. You can help him to get up and support him as he walks to keep him safe. This will at least start getting his muscles going again.
Just be sure you don't push him or make him feel you are demanding anything of him. If he resists, don't do it.

Another idea is take him in the car someplace he really liked going when he was well...maybe a park....but not a dog park and no place where there is a lot of noise/people/dogs so he doesn't get overwhelmed. Carry him out and let him be on the grass. If he is in a quiet place with interesting smells, that might perk him up as long as you make sure it's not over stimulating to him. Even if all he does is lie there, it would be a different environment. Maybe take him to visit a friend? Again, quiet, no other dogs. Anything that might interest him or provide good smells might help him not to feel depressed.
But none of these things should be done unless the vet says it is OK. I would also ask the vet about this, and see if he or she has suggestions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts