Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That its the end of the world. Zombies are running around/nuclear winter/insert an apocalypsis of your choice. You are very hungry and so is your dog. You have some luck and find a bag of chips/pack of cheese etc. There is not enough for you two. You give a small piece to your dog maybe and start eating the rest. What will your dog do?

The reason im asking - the other day Ella had very little breakfast (only a small raw bone, we were out of food) and when i got home in the evening i couldnt feed her right away because she gets homecooked food and i had to cook it (she had to wait until it was cooked). Meanwhile her food cooked, i had some salad for dinner. Now i hadnt eaten all day either and was starving... i knew she was hungry but i wasnt going to share (her food was cooking +i was really hungry) :p.

Guess what Ella did? She started barking at me in a very commanding/pestering way and even tried jumping up on the table. I finally had to move to the other room to eat. She usually has excellent table manners and never begs for food (she usually isnt hungry either:p) so this was out of character. It also made me think that if we would face a doomsday together, we would probably end up fighting for food :p

Also please dont call animal control, this was a one time thing and she honestly gets fed :D
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Since Tessa barks at me in said demanding tone every time I make toast (she gets the crust) I'd say she'd either tell me off or smack me for the food lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Rico would do his normal tapping DH on the shoulder to ask for food (seriously, cutest thing ever when he does that so politely!) then he would do his normal OMG I AM STARVING TO DEATH whine he does when DH is 5 minutes late delivering dinner. Roxy would be like eh, whatev and ignore us until we wanted love and then we'd have to bribe her for affection by giving her the food anyway. Ginge would soak us to death with her drool then snag our food!

·
Registered
951 Posts
It depends on what the dog was used to and what ground rules you had established before.

There are many many working dogs in this world who get fed once a day at a set time, and their handlers or caretakers will eat the normal 3 meals a day, including a few meals in front of the dog. The dog will often look wistfully at the food yet get none. If the dog would start to bark, the standard rules for 'barking for no good reason' would be applied.

Think of a sheep herder who feeds his dog once a day first thing in the morning, and that's it. And the sheep herder at around noon breaks out his thermos of coffee and sandwich he packed for lunch and eats it.

Something you may want to start training is for you to set down your dog's food dish, but he can only eat it once you say okay.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Normally I'll share little morsels of my food with him while I'm eating. He just lays down besides me and waits, maybe a nose tap or body shift to remind me that he's there. If I can't/don't share he usually just hangs around and then wanders off somewhere.

Now with my mom it's not so easy. He knows that she'll give in eventually and is a little more determined. He usually pulls the chin rest + puppy dog eyes with her. Seriously, how do they know how to be so adorable?

Here's an example, it's the I wanna go outside chin rest :p

Realistically though, in a zombie apocalypse I don't think we'd survive the initial outbreak. Neither of our survival instincts are that great lol..

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well in the walking dead, dogs were not affected and they fed on the remains of zombies, but did not turn into zombie dogs, so there would be food for the dogs

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It depends on what the dog was used to and what ground rules you had established before.

There are many many working dogs in this world who get fed once a day at a set time, and their handlers or caretakers will eat the normal 3 meals a day, including a few meals in front of the dog. The dog will often look wistfully at the food yet get none. If the dog would start to bark, the standard rules for 'barking for no good reason' would be applied.

Think of a sheep herder who feeds his dog once a day first thing in the morning, and that's it. And the sheep herder at around noon breaks out his thermos of coffee and sandwich he packed for lunch and eats it.

Something you may want to start training is for you to set down your dog's food dish, but he can only eat it once you say okay.
She already does that and is very, very good at it. I made her wait a few minutes that evening too.

She is just very ..loud and has a mind of her own :D Which I honestly dont mind. I like her spark and how she is not overly subordinate to humans. We handle her fine and she usually listens to us but she also has a bit of a wild streak in her which I love.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I think history has shown that when food is short, dogs usually become food.
yeah I thought of that too.. but there is no way I could eat my own dog. Maybe a stray if I was really really starving.

lol I cant believe I wrote that.

But I was really hungry that day and it made me realize that .. Id probably do a lot to not starve.

I have relatives that survived the the Stalingrad blockade (and many that didnt) ... lets just say human mind becomes very resourceful when you are hungry.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I think history has shown that when food is short, dogs usually become food.
actually, just the opposite.

Yes, there are plenty instances of dogs being eaten, but these are basically 'worthless' dogs (at least worthless in the sense of your show poodle isn't going to be helpful to you in a lifeboat lost at sea)

What the overarching history of humankind actually shows is that when food is short dogs become indispensable in helping hunt, harvest, collect, and protect food.

·
Registered
951 Posts
yeah I thought of that too.. but there is no way I could eat my own dog. Maybe a stray if I was really really starving.

lol I cant believe I wrote that.

But I was really hungry that day and it made me realize that .. Id probably do a lot to not starve.

I have relatives that survived the the Stalingrad blockade (and many that didnt) ... lets just say human mind becomes very resourceful when you are hungry.
I am going to butcher this quote but....

The skin of civilization we humans have is only 6 meals deep.

(I don't recall the exact number)

But basically it is saying that it doesn't matter if you have morals against voilence or against eating animals or morals about community and sharing etc etc, you go a few DAYS without eating, a few DAYS watching your children suffer, you'll do ANYTHING to get food, including theft, prostitution, and murder.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
actually, just the opposite.

Yes, there are plenty instances of dogs being eaten, but these are basically 'worthless' dogs (at least worthless in the sense of your show poodle isn't going to be helpful to you in a lifeboat lost at sea)

What the overarching history of humankind actually shows is that when food is short dogs become indispensable in helping hunt, harvest, collect, and protect food.
I didn't mean a general food shortage, rather a local one. Plane crash, shipwreck, lost in the desert/artic

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
First Zody would try his staring, making pitiful noises, technique. When that didn't work he'd give it up and park himself either on my lap or right next to me and settle down to quietly wait for me to finish and share whatever it was that I had. He knows me very well and he knows that at the very least I'd save a couple bites for him.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts