Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my puppy for 4 months now (6 months old). He is a golden retriever. Recently my mom has become frustrated and wants to get rid of him because of one issue. We never really properly potty trained him. We are all happy with him and are able to do everything else but currently the extent of his potty training is to go through a dog door into the back porch and poop on the porch randomly. This is not good. It doesn't take a genius to recognize it as being a terrible idea but we left it like this for 3 months. I would pick up the poop in the bags you are supposed to and throw it away. Only issue is that it leaves stains. My mom had the job of cleaning the stains and it was mostly fine for the past 3 months. Today was bad though. Having to clean the stains left behind by his poop is really difficult because she has to make it as if there was nothing there in the first place. She has to crouch down and clean it. This is killing her back (she has back problems) and probably causing permanent damage. Even if I take this responsibility from her it's just going to take time which I don't have (I'm a highschool senior working on university and scholarship applications/requirements currently). How and where can I train him to poop? What is the best way to potty train your dog? How long will it take to teach him and how much work will it be?

·
Registered
52 Posts
First, I would stop throwing away the poop. I would move his poops to a place in the yard that's okay to poop in. The idea is that he'll smell his feces and poop there instead. Second, go back to square one. Set a strict routine for your puppy, and physically take him first thing in the morning, after breakfast, before lunch, after lunch, before dinner, and after dinner. Any other time he wants to go, go with him and shoo him over to where he's supposed to go. After a few weeks he'll get the hang of it again, and relearn where he's supposed to poop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to start doing this. Where do you think the best spot is for a dog to poop though? Grass, wood, rocks, dirt? His poop is mostly really loose so him doing it on the wood on our porch has been a nightmare.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well if his poop is really loose there must be something messing him up - that's probably why he's been pooping so much. (I included some links that will be helpful with that.) And I prefer my dog to poop where it's easiest to clean up - since I clean up once a night. Whatever is easiest to clean up for you is the "best" place for him to poop! :)

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2015/07/15/assessing-dog-poop.aspx
What Your Dog's Poop Says About His Health
http://pets.thenest.com/can-feed-dog-firm-up-his-stool-4353.html

·
Registered
340 Posts
Since he's used to going to the bathroom at his convenience, I'd block the doggy door to the porch; otherwise, he'll keep doing as he's been taught: going to the bathroom on the porch whenever he wants. The fact that he's used to letting himself out maybe a good thing in that he knows to go to a specific door, so when you see him head to that door, put a leash on him, take him outside but don't let him stop on the porch, and take him to his new designated potty spot. Treat party, praise and happy dance when he goes to the bathroom in the right spot. Let him know in no uncertain terms that he did exactly what you want and he's the best doggie in the world. Take him back inside, re-block access to the doggy door and go back to watching him like a hawk. Repeat. Eventually, he'll get the idea that the porch is no longer the proper bathroom spot and the new spot is.

You'll also want to give the porch a thorough cleaning with an enzyme cleaner, otherwise it'll still smell like a bathroom to him. Each time he's able to have an accident on the porch, it'll set his training back.

If his bowels are often loose, it might be good to get a vet check to make sure there's not a physical problem. If all checks out, you may need to try a different food with a different protein or grain source in case what he's eating is upsetting his stomach.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts