Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally when Sawyer hears our neighbors (it always the same house, I don't think we can hear our other neighbors from were they are) he starts barking and getting stressed. Thankfully its not something that happens often but it also means that I cant exactly CC him to it. So tonight I went to take him out to go to the bathroom and some one had decided to shoot off fireworks. I have absolutely no idea why, its not a holiday and there hasn't been one recently. Fire works are 50% 50% with Sawyer, sometimes they make him bark sometimes not. This time he didn't though, however he did seem a bit freaked out/nerveous from the sound and just wanted to go in. Though he did start barking in the house even though you couldn't hear them.
A few minutes ago I took him out again to go since he didn't before and some one was playing loud music. Which is really unusual around here, its not so loud you can hear it in the house, but you can clearly hear it in the yard. I though for sure it would set Sawyer off since for all intense and purposes it sounds like some one talking. But he didn't make a peep, he was unsure of what the heck it was though. But after a few minutes he felt ok enough to go to the bathroom. So tonight Sawyer went to the bathroom to the tune of Taking Care of Business :eyeroll:.
I will say however that its a interesting song choice for 10:00 at night lol.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
That's funny about the song.

Good that you are finding some pride in Sawyer's progress of not reacting to every sound coming from that direction.

I have an Australian Shepherd mix, Jaya, and she's very fearful of things inside the house, but outside noises don't seem to bother her at all. But then, she spent her first 5 years tied up in a back yard with no shelter other than a tree...so she probably learned to deal with thunder storms, fireworks, and loud neighbors.

I understand your sense of pride though when you get to see some progress in your dog. It's pride, but it's also something like a weight being taken off of one's chest...seeing your dog no longer stressed and made fearful by some little noise or big noise for that matter. It's a good feeling to think that one's dog is getting a chance to live life with less fear, and one can only hope to help the dog to keep going forward in that progress. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but I think who ever did say that...gave up to soon. ;)

Stormy

Reactions: Sabina88
1 - 2 of 2 Posts