Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day people! its been a while since i have posted something.

Just recent positive updates:
-our puppy is no longer scared of the tv anymore! yay! took a couple of weeks for her to get used to it with high value treats (i.e steak) but now she doesnt mind it, she actually watches with us sometimes
-she is now in love with her crate! she goes in for nap times, she goes in at night when we tell her to go to bed, she goes in when she just wants to chill. she goes in there when the place is busy with people. i also moved her crate by the patio as she always wants to look outside when i let her out during the day.
-really good progress in potty training! no accidents this week in the house or in the crate! she only had one accident in the house for two weeks! she's still working on her cues on just staying by the patio door when she needs to go out. although she tends to stay by the door a lot during the day.

anyways, the reason i am posting again is because i need anyone's advice on her recall. I feel kind of hurt whenever i try to call her at home she just comes to me like 2 feet away. When i come closer to pet her she runs away from me like its a game, although i do play that with her sometimes...i chase her, she chases me. when i do call her again, she will do the same thing, when i move away she follows me around the house. i have no idea how to retrain this that its not play time all the time. please help

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well, first of all don't feel hurt. She thinks you're playing, so she is engaging in the game. :)

This is probably a good way to go back to basics with her for this command:

It sounds like she is making great progress - please don't get discouraged!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
She may actually not like being petted.
Many dogs do not like to be touched, except under special circumstances.
It is a huge myth out there that dogs like or should like being pet.

Try waiting for her to come all the way up to you and give her a treat, but do not pet her. Just talk sweetly and gently to her. That may be her preference!

Reactions: Midnight

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
Sounds to me like she thinks it's a game. I'd go about it by working in a backyard and running AWAY from her while you call her to come. When she starts running towards you, you can click-and treat when she catches up and sits in front of you (ie you should slow down for her to do this and use a hand signal for the sit). That way you aren't stationary so she thinks of it less of a game of you catching her, and more of a game of her catching you ;)

When you're working on it you can use a few treats too-once she gets the idea, toss a treat and run away, THEN call 'come'. She'll finish her treat and run towards you, and you can go back and forth so that she's not at your heels the entire time and learns what it means. Plus it makes a fun running around game. The real goal is for her to chase you, not for you to chase her.

You shouldn't feel hurt that she's not fully coming to you-she's trying to engage you in playing! Help teach her the game :)

As Tess said she might not like being pet as well-always make coming to you a GREAT thing. If you stop petting her and she doesn't look back expectantly or lean into you, then maybe skip that for a bit and bring out a toy or treats instead :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
she does come to me closer when i have a treat in hand and make her work for the treat..sit, lie down then sit up. but i do not treat her when she gets really excited about the treat and starts to jump up at me, i wait until she sits in front of me. is that ok? or should i encourage for her to come closer then give the treat?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Depends on how tight of a recall you want.

I taught my dogs to come right up to me settling their front paws between the toes of my feet. I was standing upright, they had to remain there while I bent down to them, fussed over them with praise for a moment, and THEN they got their treat. Thus, they were taught to stay in the area. If they danced away or did a fly by, they didn't get anything. But we did always make it a game. You can also increase the drive of a recall by calling them and running away... this gets them to chase you. :) For dogs who love this they are rewarded... but you have to stop and they need to come to you for a round of praise and treats. The sequence is a whole.

This should always be fun, you must be more exciting than a squirrel or your dog won't bother.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
funny you mentioned squirrels...my puppy is crazy about them.when i am giving her a walk, i let her go a little loose on the leash and she sniffs around. most of the time, she comes and walks by me when i give her the cue to do so. but when there is a squirrel around, she runs forward and then yanks herself and my arm in the process. she also tends to stay behind me then sniffs around and really just stay in one spot and around it to sniff, this is already after she has gone pee and poop...at that point, she does not follow when i call her. so it tends to get annoying when im walking forward to give her the cue to follow my movements then my arm gets yanked behind me. i have no idea how to have her stop this.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Boy, that sounds familiar! My dog did that sort of dodging play constantly til a year, and still occasionally does. It can be SO frustrating. Here are a few things I found helpful:

1. Stopping, at least til she got the hang of full recall, the chase games. She could chase me, but I wouldn't chase her. And feel free to be firm with friends and relatives who want to play, let them know this is important for her training. I found it helpful to substitute with fun that could take place at close quarters, like tugs (also can train drop it), or games that encourage coming back, like fetch.
2. Teaching a come-"touch". Instead of waiting for her to sit, she has to come touch my hand with her nose. I click when the nose touches.
3. After she was good at come-touch, I'd withhold the click til she let me touch her somewhere low (chest worked best for me). At first, I couldn't even get as far as touching, so I'd click as I moved my hand toward her, before she moved. I then started varying how long I had to touch her before the click, and then started moving the touch upwards. Now I can do a collar-grab without trouble, which never would have happened six months ago.
4. Having her do a come-touch during play, especially chase games, when reinstated.
5. Sitting down and using calming signals to tell her I am not playing. Facing away from her has been particularly effective, also yawning. This helps me avoid projecting my frustration/anxiety, too.
6. Clicking her for touching my hand, then throwing the treat away a steadily increasing distance is a fun way to keep the educational experience going. She is always rewarded for coming back.

Last but not least, take several deep breaths and remember she is not acting this way because she fears you or hates you. She associates you with a fun game she loves playing, and she's excited to resume. In the past, her dodging has been rewarded with fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.