Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,913 Posts
I will be going to college soon, so the dog would need to be OK being left alone.....
Will this be your first year of college? If so, I'd strongly advise you to wait about a year. Being a college student is quite different from being a high school student. For one thing, it sounds like you'll be living on your own. You'll also have classes, homework, maybe a part-time job, and a social life to fill your time.

Having a dog is a bit like having a child. You'll need to make sure that you can meet the dog's needs on a regular schedule - feeding, walks, exercise, training, play, etc. You'll lose the flexibility to spontaneously get together with friends and classmates. A dog is a huge responsibility, especially if you are the sole caretaker.

After your first year of college, I think you'll have a much better idea of whether a dog will fit into your lifestyle. In the meantime, you could consider volunteering at a shelter or with a rescue group. Another way to spend time with dogs without the full commitment is to walk dogs. You'll be able to earn some income and enjoy a regular dog fix.

Good luck to you.

· Super Moderator
3,913 Posts
Thanks a lot for all the feedback. You're right- maybe getting a dog now isnt the best idea
Just give it a year. :)

An example from my life: Next week, I'm planning to go out with a friend after work for dinner and to see the Foo Fighters in concert (yay!). Because of the locations of my home, my work, and the concert venue, I will be away from my dog from 8 a.m. to midnight. The ONLY way this is possible is that my son can take care of him for me. If my son couldn't do that, I'd have to enlist the help of a neighbor, take him to a boarding facility, or hire a pet sitter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.