Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed another three credits for next semester and found a course available for you to create your own literary project under the guidance of an adviser. I contacted one of my old professors, presented him with my idea, and today he approved it. :)

My proposal was to write a book on domestic dogs, the environment, and how dogs are impacted by the environmental movement today.

Potential topics:

• fertilizer/pesticides on paws
  • carcinogens in toys and bedding
  • growth hormones and steroids in dog food
  • the current return to raw feeding/live prey model, the science and lack of behind the movement
  • feces and runoff water
  • vaccinations, science of why they're necessary, why the current suggested regime may be overkill
  • parasites, allergens, and diseases in relation to the environment
  • spay and neuter alternatives
  • how studies and changes in mindset have influenced and changed the popular methods of training, and the new emphasis on an actual understanding of animal behavior instead of "quick fixes"
  • dogs' effects on wildlife ecosystems and biodiversity
  • dogs getting more people outside at a greater frequency
  • the potential application of dogs being trained to find invasive species
  • carbon footprint of owning a dog
  • give me more ideas!
If you have any interesting ideas you think I should touch on, or connections you think would be valuable, please feel free to comment or message me. This is a huge project for me, and I doubt I'll complete it by the end of next semester, but at least I'll be getting direct help with the writing process during the coming term.

I would also love criticism and comments from all of you, so if anyone would volunteer to be a beta reader on the subject matter for particular content please get in contact with me. I'll also possibly be looking for anecdotes or quotes. As I've never published anything I highly doubt my first attempt will be anything worth trying to get published, but I was thinking of self-publishing as an ebook on amazon or so. Has anyone on here ever published literature that might have some advice?

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I would love to read about all of those! Maybe you can include a chapter on how dogs behave in the wild (ie NOT in packs but as scavengers)? I'd love to see a summary of some detailed research on that, too.

A section on how dogs interact with humans and have learned to adapt to living with us? How strays in certain countries, like Greece, are treated and how it differs from places like North America?

DIY projects to do to make dog expenses cheaper, and what to NOT cut slack on (ie homemade beds are great, but not for dogs with joint problems). Homemade toys, treat dispensers, the like? Could go under your carcinogens in toys/bedding section as an aside or appendix type of thing.

You may need to revamp and cut/add based off who you want your audience to be and what research you find.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to read about all of those! Maybe you can include a chapter on how dogs behave in the wild (ie NOT in packs but as scavengers)? I'd love to see a summary of some detailed research on that, too.

A section on how dogs interact with humans and have learned to adapt to living with us? How strays in certain countries, like Greece, are treated and how it differs from places like North America?

DIY projects to do to make dog expenses cheaper, and what to NOT cut slack on (ie homemade beds are great, but not for dogs with joint problems). Homemade toys, treat dispensers, the like? Could go under your carcinogens in toys/bedding section as an aside or appendix type of thing.

You may need to revamp and cut/add based off who you want your audience to be and what research you find.
I'm definitely open to minimizing/cutting out some of the potential topics I have now and substituting in others! Pukka's Promise by Kerasote already covers in-depth some things so I was thinking of pushing a lot of that into one chapter and recommending his book for further reading.

I love your ideas, I think a DIY section would be fantastic, as well as how dogs have adapted (and are still adapting) to live with us. Applications such as the invasive species detection could be included in there, and I could touch on how service dogs enable some people to interact more in the environment. I know there was a blind backpacker a few years ago that hiked the Appalachians, stuff like that.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
There's a LOT to say about how dogs interact with their environment!! Lol. I think as long as you stick with one train of thought/audience you should be good. Will it be aimed at the general dog owner as a helpful book, or more informative? You can mix to an extent but I would totally get lost in trying to do everything, and the fact that I can see that happening to me now probably means and outline or five is good. XD You'll probably go through a few outlines but find that writing the book itself is easier for it. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a LOT to say about how dogs interact with their environment!! Lol. I think as long as you stick with one train of thought/audience you should be good. Will it be aimed at the general dog owner as a helpful book, or more informative? You can mix to an extent but I would totally get lost in trying to do everything, and the fact that I can see that happening to me now probably means and outline or five is good. XD You'll probably go through a few outlines but find that writing the book itself is easier for it. :)
I would like it to be more informative... In which case, DIY dog stuff might not fit in as well (though I can always blog about that.) My major is conservation biology, so I would like to stick more to the science and concepts that people already very canine-oriented and knowledgeable would appreciate. Less regurgitation and more unique coverage, or if I am covering a topic already heavily written upon to have it be very concise and factual.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I'd be quite interested in the raw/prey model topic. Don't know much about it but coming from working at a health-food store, I always thought that the logic behind the pale-diet fad was kind of... dumb. And now here we have the paleo-diet... for our dogs! Either there's something to it, or we have too much time on our hands. I mostly suspect the latter. But I love otherwise boring topics, so... you be the judge.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Maybe try squeezing some of it into one chapter? It might speed up the process, but then your readers of the book might get confused as to what the current subject is.

If you get a good grade on it, you might want to even try to get it published.

I'm kind of nerdy, so I like 'boring' topics. Just don't make it too boring otherwise the general audience will be like "I need to sleep now"

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe try squeezing some of it into one chapter? It might speed up the process, but then your readers of the book might get confused as to what the current subject is.

If you get a good grade on it, you might want to even try to get it published.

I'm kind of nerdy, so I like 'boring' topics. Just don't make it too boring otherwise the general audience will be like "I need to sleep now"
I'm confused by what you mean? Heavily affiliated topics will be included together in chapters so long as they aren't lengthy enough to stand on their own. It's not an assignment that I would be getting a grade on, it's a self-made literary course, the entirety of the course is what I'm graded on. I mentioned in my OP that I may look into getting it published.

If by "general audience" you mean the majority of the public, then they would definitely be bored. I am not looking for them to be my primary audience, as I've said I would be looking to write more of the science and market it towards those already heavily involved with dogs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If I were writing a book about dogs, I would write about how I think God made dogs for mankind to love. They possess so many emotions that we have.
Once a dog bonds with you, he will always have unconditional love for you; he will fight another dog as he thinks he has become a human too. He considers himself a human family member.
When he is with you, he knows right from wrong; he has a conscience if he has done wrong.
He is always so glad to see you when you get home.
They feel joy and happiness.
They grieve after a death.
And they never want to be separated from you. For what ever reason you get separated for years, they do not forget who you. The love that they show for your return is so filled with joy and it can be overwhelming.

God says that we have a lot to learn from animals.
Their unconditional love is the greatest thing that I think I could learn from my dog.
They lower the blood pressure for people, and when dogs are taken to nursing homes and children's hospitals, the patients do better.

When life is down, and seems that others walk out, a dog will always stay with you and love you no matter what.

Yes, I think God put dogs on earth for mankind.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Let the dogs be part of the environment

I do a lot of trail running and most government controlled parks ban dogs. How about building a case for opening up more trails and parks for dogs, you could address this set of topics you mentioned.

• feces and runoff water
  • dogs' effects on wildlife ecosystems and biodiversity
  • dogs getting more people outside at a greater frequency
  • the potential application of dogs being trained to find invasive species
  • carbon footprint of owning a dog
I do believe the presence of dogs on the trails have little or no effect on the environment. I already see plenty of canine feces on the trails thanks to coyotes and dog feces if they do end up in the run off they go there with the coyote, rabbit, deer, rattlesnake, bird, horse, cow and bobcat feces. And their effect on ecosystem is that they will help the prey of coyote be more alert as they smell the markings of the dogs along the trails. If a dog can be used in parks to find invasive species that could be great whether its flora or fauna. And carbon footprint, if they get out and run a bit more they can provide a bit of carbon dioxide for the trees.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've decided I'll focus on the dog-wildlife aspect first and put my research towards dogs chasing/killing wild animals, their interactions with wild canids, dogs in natural environments such as national parks and forests, and exchange of viruses/disease/parasites. Included in this will be how dog waste being in the environment might effect other species' behavior, spread of disease, etc.

For the rest of the book, which I don't think I'll get to this semester, topics include:

*Dog food - raw prey diet vs kibble (growth hormones, fillers, pesticides, fertilizers)
*Veterinary practices - parasite prevention, vaccines, and how they tie in to disease geographically with animals (for instance, rabies or leptospirosis)
*Feral dogs
*Carbon footprint of owning a dog
*Pesticides/fertilizers
*Dog's usage in wildlife management/invasive species/livestock guardian dogs - potential topic
*Breed evolution in regards to their local environment - potential topic

I think my original list of topics was too ambitious - much of the content was highly controversial and only loosely linked to the overarching environmental theme. I'm restricting myself to talking about topics only in how they relate to the environment to avoid flipping my boat over instead of just rocking it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts