Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is Juliet and Im new here. I recently adopted a 3 year old pet from the animal shelter in bklyn, ny. Im really concerned about a few things:

1) I know kennel cough is normal, but she seems really severe. She coughed all night last night, she wheezes, and sneezes constantly.

2) Shes sleeping almost all the time...is this part of the cold or could it be something else (like depression, which Im also worried about)?

3) She wont pee. Since wednesday night shes peed about 4 times and 2 of those times were in the house. She seems ok with pooping. Shes eating if I bring her to the food and reward her for eating and she seems to be drinking.I tried rewarding her for her outdoor eliminations, taking her to her own markings (she walks right by them), taking her out every hour or so and bringing her to other dogs markings. No luck.

I have a vet visit this evening but Im sort of sitting around going crazy (and driving everyone else crazy with my worry). ANY feedback would be appreciated. Tx, Juliet

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello, My name is Juliet and Im new here. I recently adopted a 3 year old pet from the animal shelter in bklyn, ny. Im really concerned about a few things:

1) I know kennel cough is normal, but she seems really severe. She coughed all night last night, she wheezes, and sneezes constantly.

2) Shes sleeping almost all the time...is this part of the cold or could it be something else (like depression, which Im also worried about)?

3) She wont pee. Since wednesday night shes peed about 4 times and 2 of those times were in the house. She seems ok with pooping. Shes eating if I bring her to the food and reward her for eating and she seems to be drinking.I tried rewarding her for her outdoor eliminations, taking her to her own markings (she walks right by them), taking her out every hour or so and bringing her to other dogs markings. No luck.

I have a vet visit this evening but Im sort of sitting around going crazy (and driving everyone else crazy with my worry). ANY feedback would be appreciated. Tx, Juliet
I think a vet visit is a great idea. I wouldn't worry about the sleeping by itself. I suspect dogs don't get much rest at a shelter, with all the other dogs barking and the smells and people coming and going all the time. If my dogs go to a boarding kennel over night, they sleep ALL DAY when they come home, barely getting up to eat and go outside. If a dog has been in a shelter situation, I suspect it's even more tiring.

Remember, she's probably nervous and anxious about what's going on. It might be weeks before she is comfortable enough in her new place before she really relaxes. Some dogs take longer to settle in, some dogs take less time.

Kennel cough can sound really bad and not be terribly serious. But, I think the best idea is to listen to the vet. I'm just posting so you can hopefully stop worrying so much until you get to the vet. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I know I need to relax, but I have new mommy syndrome or something. Thank you for your reply, it helped a lot!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
kennel cough should be treated right away by a vet. if gone long enough they can develop pnuemonia and it CAN be deadly. It is VERY treatable though with vet care and antibiotics.

she sounds like she is settling in I agree. but if she doesn't eliminate soon, at your vet visit today, I would definitely ask if your vet has any thoughts.

do you have any pics of your dog? :)

welcome to the forum :)

~MSE

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
welcome to the forum. Definitely bring up any and every concern with the vet as it could be Kennel cough but other things as well. most pets we ever get from shelters and rescues wind up having kennel cough. The not urinating I would tell your vet because it could be that she actually not getting enough water and is becoming dehydrated. Hope she is ok and let us know after the visit what happens :) Oh and pics are necessary here ;)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
you've gotten some great advice already ;) don't worry about the new mommy thing, better safe then sorry, i just wanted to send some good thoughts your way, that your new pup gets better soon! good luck, and keep us posted on how she is doing :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Welcome!

TBH I'd go strait to a vet. Sleeping all the time can be indicative of distemper or parvo. It might be kennel cough but it could even be canine influenza. Even dogs who are immunized, just like humans, may not develop total immunization. It sounds like you've been to the vet-and that's the best thing. I hope you know quickly what's wrong and can figure it out quickly :)

Kennel cough is an optional vaccination here but we did go for it and will continue :) Perhaps after all this is resolved, you might want to ask about immunizing against it as well? We did the DHLPP and rabies and bordetella (kennel cough)-especially for dogs who go where other dogs are (dog parks, pet stores, day care) it's important imho to vaccinate against that. The standard vaccines are DHLPP and rabies but bordetella can be vaccinated against :)

Please keep us posted on how your dog does :) {{{Healing Vibes}}}

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everyone,
So we took Diva to the vet and the vet said its kennel cough and gave us some meds. Shes doing MUCH MUCH better today in terms of coughing and wheezing. Shes been out all day and is napping now. And we finally heard her voice!

Im not so much concerned with all the sleeping anymore, we really have been keeping her active. Shes great outside, really active and playful. When she gets home she sort of hangs out for a while and then is like, ok peace, Im gonna nap now.

However, she hasnt eliminated today. The vet got her to pee yesterday, but today, nothing. She has been eating and drinking, mostly when she comes in the house after being out for a long time. I dont know what to do about this.
Thanks for everyones comments and any further advice on the pee problem would be much appreciated!! (I tried to post a pic...did it work?)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Just som' antedotals here...lol...my Pit doesn't pee often either, maybe twice a day, she also naps ALOT, many pits are so over the top hyper that when you finally are around one that just chills out, it can scare you. But it may just be her personality :)

and yeah, KC sounds awful, they sound like they are dying half the time. Mine have never needed meds for it, but meds def aren't a bad idea :)

for the pic...do you have a photobucket account?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Glad to hear it was just kennel cough.

What did the vet say about the urinating? Did he/she give any ideas of what to watch for or what could be causing it?

No pic posted. Did you use the application at the bottom of the "postreply" page? There is a spot that says manage attachments. Or if you have photos on a photo app like photobucket you can copy and paste the "image" link.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hoping for the best :)

The vet just said to wait it out but if it doesnt correct itself we'll have to go back. So far today she hasnt peed or pooped. Shes eaten and definitely had a bit to drink. If she doesnt go by tomorrow (which is a holiday AND a sunday) I wont know what to do. She doesnt seem dehydrated, Ive done the pinch the neck test.
Ok, Im gonna try for pics again (sorry, Im really technologically challenged).
Juliet

Attachments

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Oh my she is gorgeous! If the vet knows she was not urinating daily he/she should have checked for dehydration, which I hope they did (and am sure) did they run a UA on the urine they got her to do while at the office (I think thats what you said, that they got her to pee).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi and welcome!

Just som' antedotals here...lol...my Pit doesn't pee often either, maybe twice a day, she also naps ALOT, many pits are so over the top hyper that when you finally are around one that just chills out, it can scare you. But it may just be her personality :)

and yeah, KC sounds awful, they sound like they are dying half the time. Mine have never needed meds for it, but meds def aren't a bad idea :)

for the pic...do you have a photobucket account?
Hows your pit with toys? Mine seems to have no interest in toys, rawhides, pig ear...really nothing but treats. She likes a bit of tug of war with her leash outside but thats about it (and even that bores her after a couple of minutes).

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
hahah, not keen on toys...I think I had her many months before she picked up toys (at the shelter she was playing with toys to boot) and shes still not hot on them. I think its just an adjustment thing. She'd rather play with another dog than toys :)

They are actually kind of a softy/sensitive type breed emotionally. They bond to people very quickly, which is good news for you ;) but I think being in a shelter kind hurts their head for a minute if you get what I mean. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the vet tested her urine and said it was fine. she said aside from KC and the fact that diva's a little underweight, shes pretty healthy. but i just took her out again and she still didnt go.
this is driving me crazy!!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I hate to say it...but maybe she was kept indoors a lot and went potty inside and was possibly...well....punished for it, so now in her new home she is nervous to go potty because she may be punished. I would suggest being excited when you take her out, say go potty, and whenever she does tell her yes and give her lots of treats. Maybe give her lots of treats for doing anything good, even being quiet when she hears noises, when she goes outside, etc. Show her you are not the punishable type :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
paws got to it before me!

You may want to purchase a long line, its like a 20ft leash that way she can go around a corner or far away from you to potty. She may be afraid to potty in front of people. :)

taking her around a place where other dogs pee'd might help too.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
ditto on the long line... that can really help if she is afraid of being punished... and like pawz said, try really hard to catch her being good and reward her for it as often as you can, make an active effort to reward her for as many things as you can, including going potty in the appropriate places, oh and is your yard fenced? did i miss that? i actually put a small piece of lattice next to a tree to create sort of private potty place for my dog, something like that may help if you aren't taking her out on a leash, tho the leash thing is good to do anyway....

she is a beautiful dog btw!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts