Dog Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ill update how everything goes with next storm.
Ill put boots on when theres a during the night trying to sleep one馃槂

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hate to pull a "techie" on @JoanneF :LOL: , but a recorder can't record the extended sound frequencies that a thunderstorm produces, or the vibrations.
This is interesting what do you mean by sound frequencies?
I didnt realise there were vibrations, thankyou so much for this.
I could never understand why i could have a huge crackling thunderstorm on tv and hed be relaxed every time. Thats why i assumed it must be the barometric pressure he learnt to be scared of even if hed only start being scared as soon as the noise started.
Its scientificly proven alot of dogs get static electricity shocks during storms but i dont believe jesse does because he wouldve been scared from the start

Registered
This is interesting what do you mean by sound frequencies?
I didnt realise there were vibrations, thankyou so much for this.
I could never understand why i could have a huge crackling thunderstorm on tv and hed be relaxed every time. Thats why i assumed it must be the barometric pressure he learnt to be scared of even if hed only start being scared as soon as the noise started.
Its scientificly proven alot of dogs get static electricity shocks during storms but i dont believe jesse does because he wouldve been scared from the start
Here's a good read from: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifestyle/sounds-only-dogs-can-hear/
I think you will enjoy it so plz read the whole thing.

Just one quote from above:
"Where dogs really shine is with higher-pitched sounds. The average adult human cannot hear sounds above 20,000 Hertz (Hz), although young children can hear higher. (Hertz is a measure of the frequency of a sound, and the higher the frequency, the higher pitched the sound.) Dogs, on the other hand, can hear sounds as high as 47,000 to 65,000 Hz. These are sounds far too high-pitched for us."

Registered
Edit: Most consumer grade recording equipment can only "hear" from 20-20k Hz, so parts of the sounds are not recorded. (attenuated)
As for vibrations..think about the clap of thunder when a bolt hits close by.

Registered
Sorry I went to delete my post.
Just wondering if you could try rewarding for calm behaviour before the storm hits.

But hopefully if he sees you being positive/calm as the pressure builds and it gets darker and all that, and he has a job or something to keep his attention, he will flip back round. And just a thought.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
I said id update next and hear it is.
We had a very prolonged one over and over bout 8ish hrs.
2 me it didnt look like a storm coming but half an hr before any noise jesse started getting scared. I remained upbeat and was talking to him while doing things rnd the house. Even though he was listening to everything i said, he was getting more scared.
So i put him in kitchen with bed and laundry door closed and baby gate across and had his giant bed behind me as back support and had blinds closed and kitchen light off but he kept crying even though i was talking happy to him and patting him through it. He was so scared so i removed gate and honestly it couldn't of gone better. The first lot of storm he flit back and forth between kitchen and clinging 2 me. I kept positive talking to him and even got a few tail wags. He didnt even attempt to punch scratch me. When it eased i sat down and watched desperate housewives and he layed down next to me.
When the second lot started we did it again and same thing except i was getting a bit sleepy and layed back a little bit but everytime i did that he started to scratch me cause he got scared cause i lapsed concentration in comforting him. So i put his socks on and stayed sitting upright. He was wanting more and more physical comfort. When it eased and i sat back down he went to sleep but woke up in fright to the 3rd round. I tried to do some stuff around the house again trying to distract him but he kept guiding me to kitchen. He had become content what we did is his safe space. This time he spent very little time in kitchen and stayed sitting for longer and layed down for longer. When i shut down for tonight even though i couldnt hear anything he was still scared and started clawing me as soon as sat down on lounge so out came the booties. He had a few barks to say get these off but then went to sleep which hes still asleep as i write this. No it wont go as great as this each time but we both are finaly on the right path with this.
I cannot even begin to express my gratitude for everyones help on here and even just for listening馃檹

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Had another storm. I did the same thing again and he whined alot but stayed next to me most the time. He didnt claw at me much as long as i sat upright.
I put his boots when i got up sat on lounge and he went to sleep. He woke up nervous and i got up and did stuff around the house and took him for a toilet break to stretch legs on the street. He was to nervous to go for proper walk. Hes asleep now, im twiddling my thumbs waiting for him to wake up properly to go for walk. Lets hope theres another today so we can get out and about.
All in all im ecstatic how this plan is going馃憤

21 - 31 of 31 Posts