Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not taking anymore of this sh##
As soon as ive got enough funds im buying myself a collapsible crate for me to lie sit in safely during thunderstorms. Jesse can still see me but i wont be physically assaulted anymore and i dont have to have the hrs of sitting there covering my face eith the anxiety anticipating the next beating. He also wont have to be screamed at. Ive had enough and reached breaking point with this. I love my dog but he causes immense physical and psychological stress during storms.
Ps yes ive tried every herbal, drugs, cbd, music, positivity, wraps ect ect ect and NOTHING works.
I went from having a happy confident dog in storms to this after living 1 week at a friends house during a full week of everyday bad summer storms which watched for that week her storm phobic dog going manic. Her damb dog taught my dog to be scared, thats how it all started.

·
Administrator
1,337 Posts
Im not taking anymore of this sh##
As soon as ive got enough funds im buying myself a collapsible crate for me to lie sit in safely during thunderstorms. Jesse can still see me but i wont be physically assaulted anymore and i dont have to have the hrs of sitting there covering my face eith the anxiety anticipating the next beating. He also wont have to be screamed at. Ive had enough and reached breaking point with this. I love my dog but he causes immense physical and psychological stress during storms.
Ps yes ive tried every herbal, drugs, cbd, music, positivity, wraps ect ect ect and NOTHING works.
I went from having a happy confident dog in storms to this after living 1 week at a friends house during a full week of everyday bad summer storms which watched for that week her storm phobic dog going manic. Her damb dog taught my dog to be scared, thats how it all started.
Well, I suppose I am the first to say, "if you wouldn't use it on yourself or your kids, don't use it on your dog", but I'm wondering if there is another way to handle this?

Does Jesse have a safe space at all, somewhere for him to go to when it gets too bad? Or is he crate trained? If so, some nice thick woollen blankets over top and around the sides of the crate to help make it nice and dark in there, and help deaden the sound a bit, a stuffed, frozen kong and the TV/Classical music on loud to help mask the sound might help, too. Has he seen a vet for his anxiety, too? They might be able to give him something stronger than over the counter stuff.

My heart goes out to you. We don't have such a problem with thunderstorms here, but it is the run-up to Bonfire Night here, and the fireworks have already started. They'll go on from now to New Year's Day now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Theres lots of what could be good safe spaces but he dosnt use any. He wont leave my side.
No hes never been in a crate in his life. I think hed be petrified to go in one in a storm. I myself wouldnt have a problem in one since i hide in tiny spaces alot when im having autism meltdown.
Tv and relaxing music dosnt help.
Hes seens sever vets over the yrs. The strongest thing theyve prescribed is valium which did nothing. Id asked them bout stronger meds but theyve refused. Theyve all said because he dosnt have separation anxiety they wont prescribe it.
Hes never battered an eyelid with thunder on tv.
At least with fireworks hes only scared while the pops go off but the second they stop hes back to normal.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crates out the question as looking up an enormous amount of them the measurements just dont work.
Pop up tent is 2 big for my loungeroom.
Pop up tent ensuite dosnt have see through mesh cover.
Playpens are not high enough.
Sooooooo one of my mottos is where theres a will theres a way so im shopping for the right chair to go in kitchen and ill hang there and ill sturdily hook the loose child gate i have along kitchen door frame that wedges between back of oven and fridge. We will be able to both see each other at a safe distance👍👍

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can understand your struggle here, but personally I think your plan only really helps you, and not the dog. If he is this bad during storms that you have to physically separate yourself from him, then I think its time to crate train, even if he's never been in one before. It won't help you right now, but in the long run making a crate his safe space makes life a lot easier for both of you. This way you can coax him in with a high value treat and shut the gate, so he can't hurt you or himself. It would be a good idea to sit next to him while he's in the crate, talk to him, sing a lullaby etc. And I would also cover the crate with a heavy blanket, as already suggested, but leave the side where you are sitting open. I would also put some sweaty clothes of yours in with him too.

Have you ever tried a weighted anxiety vest? You can get them for dogs and I have heard they work wonders. And maybe some booties, so he can't scratch you?

Be careful using anxiety meds that contain sedatives. Certain ones immobilize the dog but he will still be able to comprehend what is going on, and therefore will remember the terror but be unable to escape it, which can make his fear worse.

sitting there covering my face eith the anxiety anticipating the next beating. He also wont have to be screamed at
I can appreciate how stressful this situation must be for you. You want to help your dog, but at the same time he is hurting you. However, I think he may be feeding off your anxiety as well, especially if you raise your voice. I still strongly believe crate training is best, but it may not hurt to learn how to safely restrain a panicking dog, so you don't have to yell at him but can rather act to stop him jumping at you.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Since this is a learned behavior, certainly medication and or yelling at the dog won't help! Try preemptively counter conditioning the dog!

If it were me, I'd get a tape recording of thunderstorm noises that you can play on a low enough volume that your dog is not distressed, then treat and praise calmness. Slowly over time inch up the volume, and continue to treat calmness. Chances are you've heard this whole process before in other contexts, but this is a perfect case for CER to work!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
He never has been scared of recorded thunder noise.
I could have it on full volume all day and he wouldnt batter an eyelid.
In response to my anxiety i coud be calm as a butterfly and the result is still the same. This is not my anziety causing this i know that for a fact.
I have every right to yell ouch.
Yes done the weighted vests dont work. For myself however deep pressure therapy does.
I dont have room to have room to permanently have a crate up it would block the front door if i did.
Ps thankyou for trying to help though.
Im happy with my plan

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Black Textile Rectangle Luggage and bags Grey
Dont even know how i missed this in your replies.
YES!!! I DO HAVE BOOTS. I bought many many yrs ago not used Never even considered putting them on it just never ever occurred to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Absolutely its the barometric pressure that scares him
But he never, according to the owner, had a problem with storms prior to staying with another dog while does. Seems less environmental and more learned to me, based on that.

I just hope, that the owner and dog find a "workable" solution that will alleviate the stress for both of them. But viewing this as an environmental issue, I don't see it...

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hes obviously learnt to associate
But he never, according to the owner, had a problem with storms prior to staying with another dog while does. Seems less environmental and more learned to me, based on that.

I just hope, that the owner and dog find a "workable" solution that will alleviate the stress for both of them. But viewing this as an environmental issue, I don't see it...

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth...
Hes obviously learned to associate the pressure feeling as something to be scared

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm sorry, I got that wrong. So, he was bothered by barometric changes prior to staying with that other dog? I misunderstood then...

Let me clarify, I belong to a few.dog forums, and it can be hard sometimes to keep from confusing usernames. So it is hard sometimes to keep them straight in my head.

If he's always been bothered by storms, that's an entirely different issue than what I understood from your initial post...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sorry, I got that wrong. So, he was bothered by barometric changes prior to staying with that other dog? I misunderstood then...

Let me clarify, I belong to a few.dog forums, and it can be hard sometimes to keep from confusing usernames. So it is hard sometimes to keep them straight in my head.

If he's always been bothered by storms, that's an entirely different issue than what I understood from your initial post...
No i mean he has learnt to associate the pressure as something to be scared of from that week with the dog. Before that he wasnt scared of the pressure

·
Registered
364 Posts
No i mean he has learnt to associate the pressure as something to be scared of from that week with the dog. Before that he wasnt scared of the pressure
I have been living with and working with dogs now for well over 50 yrs, and I can tell you your "buy a crate to climb into" is not a solution to anything but the immediate pain/fear you're feeling in dealing with this problem.

If you were in the US, I could maybe help you find someone to help you here. I really don't have many trainer contacts in the UK.

But is a hiring trainer something you can feasibly do to help? If not, please state your general location and I'd be happy to network on your behalf to help get this resolved for both of you.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thankyou thats kind of you to be willing to do that.
But everything has been tried trainers have suggested. Hes not new to trainers.
I even contacted a pet psychic.

I never even thought of the boots. I completely missed the question from maisegem regarding them until i reread posts again. So now i can safely sit without getting hurt😃

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im genuinely very appreciate for everyones advice and listening to everything🙏

Do you think this woud be a better option to try?
If i coax him in kitchen with chicken which is his absolute favourite food and shut laundry door seen in photo and keep curtain closed and put this gate in place as seen in photo and put his bed against the cupboard. And me get a floor type cushion with back support to sit on floor in front of gate seen in photo. I could still be able to put my hand through touch touch him when he asks for it. He wouldnt be able to see any other window in there.
Would it be better to have kitchen light on or off?
Property Cabinetry Countertop Interior design Wood

Stairs Wood Building Rectangle Line

1 - 20 of 31 Posts