Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,
I've been gone for awhile but my life is still ruled by dogs. Gimli, my pit pointer thing, is on Prozac and doing much better. Pinkman, my deaf border collie, is still an absolute nut and is coming along SO well in her training. My favorite tricks of hers are "speak" and "indoor voice!" which is a command for a very quiet bark.

Annnnnnd...!

I may or may not be taking home a new baby next week. I am still weighing the pros and cons. She is a blind, probably deaf, double red merle purebred Aussie puppy with a great pedigree and would be an excellent therapy prospect.

Anyways, I will post pictures of everyone soon. Glad to be back! :)

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Welcome back! Oh man, thankfully there are people like you who are knowledgeable and willing to take these poor puppies. I'll never understand the rational on double merle breeding. Just not worth the risk.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Welcome back! I can't stand when people breed double merles - there is so much information out there on how bad it is! Good for you for taking them in!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, friends! :) I don't really place much blame on her breeder. She was a genuine accident. Mama is a gorgeous blue merle, Dad is a cryptic red merle that was assumed to be a Red Tri. The breeder felt terrible and is giving me the baby free of charge on the condition that she be spayed and loved unconditionally.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've never actually heard of that happening in an Aussie litter though I know it's theoretically possible. Cryptic and Atypical merles* are comparatively common in Catahoulas, though, so I've heard of it happening there - which is why getting genetic testing done is so advisable with that breed.

*Assuming you're actually talking about the M(c) modification of merle and not just using "cryptic" colloquially to refer to a dog that appeared solid (some M/m dogs can, rarely). The terminology is really evolving.

EDIT: I actually just looked it up and some people think M(c) only occurs in Catahoulas which is a detail I had missed. But I'm not sure why they think that.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Oh what a horrible situation. Did they only have one that was affected?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never actually heard of that happening in an Aussie litter though I know it's theoretically possible. Cryptic and Atypical merles* are comparatively common in Catahoulas, though, so I've heard of it happening there - which is why getting genetic testing done is so advisable with that breed.

*Assuming you're actually talking about the M(c) modification of merle and not just using "cryptic" colloquially to refer to a dog that appeared solid (some M/m dogs can, rarely). The terminology is really evolving.

EDIT: I actually just looked it up and some people think M(c) only occurs in Catahoulas which is a detail I had missed. But I'm not sure why they think that.
I learned that term in regards to merles with non-visible patches of merle; I didn't know there was a masking gene! I don't believe this dog was a true cryptic merle then. I'll start saying "hidden" merle or something like that instead. Thanks! :)

Oh what a horrible situation. Did they only have one that was affected?
3 DM babies out of 10, this baby seems to be the only one with hearing loss and is the only one with vision loss.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Oh man, so she really did get the short end of the stick. Have you decided to keep her? At least with you she will be ending up in someone knowledgeables arms.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh man, so she really did get the short end of the stick. Have you decided to keep her? At least with you she will be ending up in someone knowledgeables arms.
She did, but she doesn't know it. :)
I am still on the fence. On the one hand, I know I love dogs, I'd like to have more dogs, she would be perfect for my family, and she will be put down if I can't take her. On the other hand, I don't like the puppy stage and I am worried that she will upset the balance of my little family. I am so happy with my relationship with Pinkie and I am very worried about throwing that off.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
She did, but she doesn't know it. :)
I am still on the fence. On the one hand, I know I love dogs, I'd like to have more dogs, she would be perfect for my family, and she will be put down if I can't take her. On the other hand, I don't like the puppy stage and I am worried that she will upset the balance of my little family. I am so happy with my relationship with Pinkie and I am very worried about throwing that off.
That's a pretty valid concern. Could you foster her? Or do you know anyone that would be able to take on such a responsibility? It's hard because deaf is hard to place, and blind is hard to place, but deaf and blind is REALLY hard to place.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mean, I think worst case scenario I could find a rescue to take her, and I know lots of people with deaf and blind dogs who might be interested. I also was very worried about adopting Pinkie for the same reasons and she is the absolute love of my life, so I figure I should probably give her a chance. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts