Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys. It's been so long since I've posted! I've checked in here and there, and tried to keep updated on everything. How has 2016 been for everyone?! Give me the deets, haha.

I think the last I posted Echo was only about 4-5 months old? She's 10 months now, and has matured so lovely! She's smaller than I thought she would be- which I'm thankful for. Her dog reactivity has improved TONS. She now lays quietly at my feet during agility classes.

I always did agility and rally, but now I'm training in scent detection and tracking as well. I absolutely adore it! And it really interesting to see how different Nevy and Echo are. Nev really excels at the scent detection. You can see her air scenting, bracketing, and her article alerts are always consistient. Echo on the other hand, LOVES tracking. She has excellent form- nose to ground, weight in harness. She's very motivated!

We also have an addition to the family. Malinger's Abaddon, a dark sable Belgian Malinois. I'm not going to lie- before she came home I'd have my moments of doubt. A Mal... Am I crazy? Honestly though, Abby has fit in with the family perfectly! She has intense handler focus, is super food motivated, toy motivated, and is a total princess. We're doing basic puppy classes and rally, tricks, and tracking at home!

Nevy is still loving agility and rally. Hoping to trial her this summer!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Omg you've been busy! Welcome back. Echo is huge now! The dogs all fit well together congrats!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Oh my gosh - you have been very busy!! First of all, Echo is HUGE! She was just a tiny thing with big ears! Abby is BEAUTIFUL! Malinois are one of my favourites, but I'm afraid to get one!
I'm hoping to trial Levi this year too (although much later) so maybe we will see you around!

Reactions: laceyj19

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Welcome back! You were missed!

And look how big everyone has gotten! Echo is huge! And Abby is adorable!

And congrats on the house! We are also new home owners! It's a ride for sure!

Reactions: laceyj19

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

Yeah, Echo got big, haha. Not as large as I was expecting though! She's only a tiny bit taller than Nev (a lot thicker though). I was worried she was going to be a behemoth. She just seemed to get big so quickly. And her father is quite large. She's closer to her mother's size. I'm hoping she doesn't get much taller or longer and just starts to fill out.

And on the other side of the coin, Abby seems so tiny in comparison! She's dainty and all legs right now. I find it so funny when strangers see her and say things like, "Wow, look at those paws. She's going to be big!" She's a lot smaller than both Nev and Echo were at this age- and Nev is pretty small for her mix (only weighs 46 pounds). Maybe I just got used to Echo the brute.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And congrats on the house @jclark343! How are you liking it? I love having my own fenced in backyard and not having to deal with an apartment building full of people.

However. Furniture shopping stresses me out, haha. I don't have much furniture and trying to pick out what I like is so hard.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@laceyj19 I literally closed yesterday afternoon, so all we have done is change the locks and access what we need to do. Today I called the bug guy (In Florida I always have any new house treated, just in case) and schedule a gutter guy to come out. We still need to paint and we are going to put down new carpet in the bedrooms (they had a dog, I can tell). So honestly all I've done is panic myself about how fast all our money is being spent. Lol.

I don't know if you have one near you, but Ikea is WONDERFUL. I am thinking I am going to get a new kitchen table and 6 chairs from there for under $600. I'm currently stressing paint colors...

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
IKEA is amazing - I love going through there and imagining what furniture I'll have...

Side bar, all those prick ears are killing me, I love them!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Welcome back!

I 3rd Ikea, particularly all the organization and their tv solutions! lol. Plus there is so much on pintrest to hack their stuff to make it your own! I personally am going to grab one of their kitchen tables and make it into a farmhouse table.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello, your dogs are adorable! Abby is absolutely the cutest thing. I'm so glad I have read this forum cause I would go out and get a Mal after seeing your puppy. Haha. I have to say ikea is great. My kids have a lot of sneakers and our puppy loves them so we just bought a great shoe storage armoire type thing.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
@laceyj19 Oh ma GAAAAAD!!!

Seriously though... a GSD and a Mal? Adopt me too?

I was actually talking to Jen about getting one of her dogs for SAR a while back, but it looks like we're taking Lucy for a year though and I can't handle her AND a Mal while trying to love Remy too. Who are Abby's parents? I think I might have an idea with those colours :)

Congratulations on your house! And you too @jclark343. It's so nice owning a home!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the closest IKEA is 2 hours away- but that might be a fun day trip! I also love looking at all the great ideas people have for repurposing some of their stuff.
@Shandula maybe I will see you around! Are you doing AAC stuff this year? And I always joke that it's a theme now- if I get another dog it's gotta have upright ears. ;)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@zoorun Come over anytime! Bring your crazy dogs too. ;)

Armani x Make Me Blush! And who is Lucy?! I feel like I've missed something major!

And I can't say enough about the Malinger dogs. I was lucky Abby became available. She's what a well bred Malinois is to me- drive for days but STABLE. I think sometimes people sacrifice stability for work ethic. There are several reactive puppies in our puppy class and she doesn't even bat an eye. And Jenn was great- I told her I wanted one of her lower drive puppies as a first time Mal owner. So Abby is around the higher end of medium. Perfect amount for me! Could change a little as she develops.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, I consider her at the higher end of medium where drive is concerned. My friends and family say they couldn't imagine owning a dog like her.

But when I think high drive I think military and police k9s. So maybe I'm way off base, haha.
@ColliesRock Haha, yeah, life got crazy! Tried to come on once and awhile to lurk. Mainly creep the pictures board!

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
@laceyj19 Hehe, on my way! My whole family actually lives in Ontario, but I haven't been back since early 2012. Yikes, how has it been that long?

I knew it as soon as I saw her colour! Her dogs seem so great. I have only met one, but my old trainer has a SAR Dutchie and knows a few of her dogs. I still want a Mal so bad, but I have a feeling I'll end up with another rescue after Remy. It really depends where life is, things have changed a lot in the last year or two!

Lucy is my Dad's dog, but... my dog too haha. She's half (badly) sport bred BC and half Husky/BC/Blue Heeler/Lab. She's absolutely a nutso little love bug! We're taking her for a few months this spring and then my Dad is doing a teaching exchange in Australia in 2017 after I get married.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LUCY IS ADORABLE. Oh my gosh.

Yeah, she's got quite a few in SAR homes. A couple in detection homes as well (bed bugs, landmines). Very cool though- I wish SAR was easier to get into in Ontario. RCMP basically has a monopoly on it. You can train all you want but I guess you rarely get called. :( Too bad. I'd love to do human remains detection. Or disaster response stuff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts