Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this is going to be long so sorry. As most of you know, where I live we only have 1 vet who comes into town once a month. The old building he rented until he bought a large piece of land and built a new facility. He has his own somewhere outside of anchorage Alaska. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy he even comes once a month, but he could at least show he is the best. He compromises the dogs in our town who have to have surgery.

The new building he built from scratch only has two rooms. A main room where he does everything from exams, to nail clippings to shaving and surgeries. In the other room is where he houses the pets. He also made an apartment rental behind the office so the land was big enough to have at least three to four rooms.

I'm studying to be a vet assistant and from what I've been reading and seeing with our vet is many regulations being broken.

Kumas breath stinks like something is infected. We took him to our vet and he said he just needs his teeth cleaned and many raw bones to chew. So we made the appointment and Kuma went to get his teeth cleaned. He charged us 500 dollars. He did not say Kuma has a lose tooth that needs to be pulled or that he might have an infected teeth. He said bring him back in 6 to 8 month for another cleaning and over time his breath will get better.

We are on vacation and we decided since Kuma is with us we'd get another advice from another vet from a different company.

Guess what this vet said. Kuma has a lose tooth that needs to be pulled. She thinks it's because the teeth were too crowded and the other teeth were pounding into the lose tooth. Our vet said nothing and I asked what was wrong and all he said is his teeth needs to be cleaned.

She also said that she thinks Kuma may have an infected tooth, but wasn't sure until she got Kuma under anesthetic and have a more better look. So we said let's make the appointment.

Our vet does not have us sign a contract for doing things to our dog. He does all surgeries in the same room as he does check ups and what not compromising other pets including Kumas health.

All surgeries need to be done in a sterile room where there is very little air movement. What the hell is wrong with our vet. Kumas surgery is going to cost us as estimate of 500 dollars. The same amount our vet charged us for only cleaning his teeth. I'm sorry that is wrong in my opinion.
So that being said, if Kuma needs any surgery for what ever reason I will be sending Kuma into anchorage and only go to our vet for clipping nails, check up some and vaccines nothing else.

I'm done thanks for letting me rant.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
507 Posts
Oh, my gosh.

Can you report him? I mean, I guess that might not be the best option, since then it's possible your area would be without a vet, but... if the situation is really that unsanitary, something needs to be done. :(

Good job pushing to find out about Kuma's health, though. I hope you're able to get the tooth problem sorted as easily as possible.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, my gosh.

Can you report him? I mean, I guess that might not be the best option, since then it's possible your area would be without a vet, but... if the situation is really that unsanitary, something needs to be done. :(

Good job pushing to find out about Kuma's health, though. I hope you're able to get the tooth problem sorted as easily as possible.
True. I don't know what he was thinking when he made this new facility. It was all built form the foundation up so he should have added in the extra room. The place is clean, but he is putting a lot of dogs who have to go through surgery at risk by doiing it in the same room. Surgery weather human or animal needs to be as sanitary as possible.

Yeah, that's the bad part. If I do report him, we might be without a vet and be off worse.

If anyone asks me about how our vet is, I will tell them the trueth and that I will only go to him for annual check ups and vaccinations, but will send my dog into Anchorage for more serious stuff such as surgeries. I can't wait to get out of that town and into a town where there are so many possibilities to pick and choose a vet clinic who does follow the rules and regulations.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Sorry you have to go thru this with you pup. I'm appalled at the $$ charged. As you said, use that vet for minor things, and Anchorage for more serious concerns. Where are you in Alaska? Might be charging stiff fees for his transportation costs. What ever, I feel your frustration.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry you have to go thru this with you pup. I'm appalled at the $$ charged. As you said, use that vet for minor things, and Anchorage for more serious concerns. Where are you in Alaska? Might be charging stiff fees for his transportation costs. What ever, I feel your frustration.

Well, I guess I shouldn't be complaining other then putting my dog's health at risk during surgery. It is expensive to live here. But he gets a full appointment every month. Especially since our rescue group started as they are really pushing for people to get their dogs spayed/neutered/vaccinated.

Not to mention he has another facility and I can't really talk for that facility because I've never been there, but it seems to be a small facility. (In the bush part he doesn't even have a vet tech.)

On, on my relative who bought the malamute puppy, he is doing very well. He wanted to get his pup neutered, but I suggested he waited until he's at least 1 years old. (My preference.) Since he asked me and I told him my opinion, but it was his choice because the dog is HIS. In the end, before we left, he had his pup neutered at 8 months old. (I think he is 8 months give or take a few months.) So, I am proud of him doing his part.

Anyways, we are going to stick with this vet. They even called us to do a follow up which I was hoping to get. (Our vet doesn't do that, not even the secretary/assistant person doesn't do follow up calls.) This was evident when we took Kuma to him to check his teeth and had his cleaning and after we got him back, we got no follow up phone call to make sure Kuma was ok. And when Kryesor died, I informed them that he was no longer with me and for two years I got a post card from them informing me that he was due for a yearly vaccine and I called and told them again he was no longer with us and I still got the card the year after that. I called up again and was very upset with them. After that, I did not get another card, but two years?! I think, these guys has lost their morals and now are just greedy or don't really care as much as they used to. I think they need to retire and hire more updated people who DO care. Anyways, I will just inform others who ask me how the vet here is and tell them my experience.

In all, it's better we have a vet then not go without a vet, so I will only rant and complain, but wont' report anything. IDK, I'm done now. Thanks.

Reactions: harleyboysmom
1 - 8 of 8 Posts