Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, first a bit of context:

For the last year or so i have been going to a small park at night with my dog Benny, this park is close to home and there are other dogs there for my dog to play with, and their owners, which are really friendly. Usually its always the same 4 dogs there.

Benny is mixed breed, one and a half years old, very submissive and quiet.

The other dogs are friendly, and in the beginning they were friendly to my dog as well, but lately (few months now), my dogs seems to be scared of them, and they don't seem to be including my dog in the pack, my dog always plays alone, when i throw a ball for them to catch, if he sees another dog going to the ball he immediately stops, when the other dogs are playing chasing one another he just lies down and looks at them, just little signs that show that my dog doesn't ant to be involved with them...

Now the tricky part:

One of the other dogs, Tip, is very jealous, and when hes owner pets Benny he barks and tries to lunge at him, and hes owner instantly shuts him down. I think the relationship between Tip and Benny has seen better days because of this.

Another one of the dogs is Flop, he and Tip have been together since they were born they have the same age, around 3 years old, the owners are friends since that time, so the dogs are very close to one another, if one of them gets angry with another dog, the other one follows.

The last two dogs are a female, Kika, and a male, Jordan, they are very protective of one another, because they live together.

The last time i was there, there was only Jordan and Kika, and my dog tried to mount Kika, i dont know if she's in heat or not, probably she is, Kika growled at him to stay back, and Jordan lunged at Benny and bit him the neck, Benny yelped a lot, until Jordan's owner grabed him and pulled him away, Benny came running to my side and we left, gladly Benny wasnt hurt.

Jordan's owner said that this only happened because the other dogs weren't there, because when in a pack, they behave differently, and now Jordan is aggressive towards Benny.

im worried because my dog seems separate from the other dogs in the park, im afraid that when they are all together there again, if Jordan lunges at my dog to defend the female, Tip may also lunge at him, because they don get along so well, and if Tip lunges, Flop might lunge too.

Maybe im overreacting, maybe not, i dont know if i should keep taking my dog to the park and see what happens when they are all together, or if i should just go walk him somewhere else just to be safe.

I hope you can help me, if u have any question or doubts just post it and i will answer, sorry for the bad english its not my first language, and thank you for listening :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Why did your dog mount the other? Is your dog desexed? Most dogs do not enjoy the act of being mounted, if she was in heat she should not be down the park. The male dog IS protecting the female from your dog because he tried to mount the female .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think Benny mounted her because she was in heat, and i know that Jordan is being protective, thats why he attacked Benny, what i fear is that when they are all together, they will attack Benny if he tries to mount her again :S

and yes, she shouldnt be out in the park when shes in heat, but i guess her woners dont really care :/

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Ok, I think the idea of someone bringing a bitch in heat to a dog park is beyond dangerous. Like, I would tell the police or park rangers about this if it happened in mine because dogs and/or people can be killed over uncut males who fight over her. This whole group sounds like a bad idea. Dogs who are in heat, or who are possessive over their owners or packmates should NOT be brought to a dog park. It's a recipe for fights. Also, if your dog mounted Kika because he isn't neutered, you should get him neutered. Even if Benny was not afraid of these other dogs I would say you should not bring him back to this park, or to socialize with these dogs in any other setting either. They don't sound like good doggy friends and he's obviously not having fun. Also, like any foreign person on an English speaking board, your English is just fine!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Do you know she was in heat? Or are you assuming? Most people don't bring their dogs to the park when they're in heat ...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I'd recommend you find another place to take your dog. Every bad experience will be banked in your dog's memory. Regardless of why the other dogs aren't playing with him, he's been attacked and there's no reason to continue going to this park.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you so much for your opinion, i'll start walking him somewhere else then, and yes, i am going to neuter my dog sometime soon :)

thanks a lot for your insight, really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It does not sound like your dog is enjoying being there so I would take him for walks somewhere else before something bad happens.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Dog's mount for a variety of reasons, over stimulated, bad dog manners, overly excited, etc, and they'll do so even if they are neutered. Regardless of the reason, unless the mounted dog is a receptive female in heat, it's bad dog manners and can start a fight. If Kika is not in heat it's likely that Jordan was just reinforcing Kika's reaction to your dog.

It sounds like your dog finds a group of dogs overwhelming and you'd probably do better to stop going to that part and to try and find one or two other dogs that your dog might be interested in playing with. Your dog may be one that simply does not like playing with other dogs, I've got one like that, if that's the case it's perfectly fine dog's don't need to play with other dogs to live happy lives. Just work on having your dog be comfortable around other dogs, and play with him yourself.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I second (third?) the advice to find other things to do with your dog. My dog, as a puppy, loved the dog park and played happily with many dogs. But as he matured, he began spending less time with the dogs and more time on his own, just as your dog is doing. Then he began getting attitude when some dogs entered the park, and while nothing really bad ever happened, it seemed he'd outgrown the dog park and it was time to move on to other things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.