Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have to vent somewhere, and I can't on Facebook due to working in a pet industry.

Anyway, our local shelter is the kind where if they have an available dog, and you have $160 burning in your wallet, you can walk out a dog owner - the paper work to fill out is minimal, basically only your address, phone number, and ok from a landlord if you rent. They do holds on dogs as well, even if the dogs are waiting to be claimed. So the dog will go to the first person, not necessarily the best person, unfixed, and unvaccinated.

Well, recently 2 puppies came in, they waited the customary 5 days and proceeded, during those 5 days, to take names of people who wanted to 'adopt' them. Because the response was "so overwhelming" and the pups are up for adoption tomorrow, the shelter is holding a lottery. That's right my local shelter is holding a draw for these puppies. Both are large breed dogs. One appears to be a husky mix, the other a LGD mix (like a pyr or akbash). These dogs are going to require a certain owner who knows what they are getting into. So do you think the shelter is going to interview the drawees? nope. Anyone can put their name in the ring. Anyone.

Why do I feel this is the stupidest, irresponsible, most ridiculous idea ever? And feel as though these puppies are going to be returned in 6 months when they grow out of their cute fluffiness? I mean I hate that they have no background checks regardless, but to raffle off a dog is so freaking stupid. It's not a car!

We're a small city - less than 100,000 - and our stray population is nearly non-existent. This is not a busy shelter, runs on gov't money and donations, and is no kill. They have no reason to not require an application and at least an interview, that at least would whittle the interested parties down a little.

So peeved. :mad:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Have you spoken to the shelter with your concerns? Frankly I'm shocked, especially with the dog rings that keep popping up.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Wow, that's a really foolish practice. I never understand shelters that do stupid things like this (save for things that are expensive), because they are creating more work for themselves. I mean if the "overwhelming response" was from all people who would be a good fit, I could see a lottery being reasonable. But...really the best family should be chosen for the dogs if they have such a choice. Yeesh. Maybe you could talk to the people who run the shelter? Would they be up for someone who wants to help improve the lives of the shelter dogs and prevent "Return guests"?

·
Registered
625 Posts
The county shelter I used to volunteer at practiced this same type of lottery. No interviews, no screening. It was not uncommon for potential adopters to bring in several friends on lottery day to increase the chance that they would get the dog. If the friend "won", they paid the fee, then handed the dog to the person who really wanted the dog the minute they walked out the door. The shelter was aware of it, and claimed there was nothing they could do to stop it. Typical of the "let's get them adopted" attitude without regards to the home being the right fit. Sometimes they got lucky, others, not so much.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Kay, could you please let me know which shelter this is, either here or in pm?

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
That's frustrating.

From their standpoint: They make a ton to help other dogs, though. And if the dogs come back they just make more to help other dogs, since they don't have any severe issues (hopefully). ><

It's still frustrating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.