Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, when I get stressed out I like to daydream about winning the lottery (I'd have to buy a ticket first though!). If you guys won the lottery, what sort of dog related stuff would you do/buy?

Would you finally start the breeding program you've dreamed of? Open your very own rescue/shelter? Just spoil your current dogs silly?

I'd buy myself a nice little farm (30 acres), have a couple of horses and a super nice canine training facility. Indoor building with shock absorbent flooring for winter agility practice, an agility field or two for the nicer months, a little conditioning gym complete with underwater treadmill, a lure coursing field... It'd be awesome to host UKC events at the facility too. A lot of the trials are quite a drive. Would be super cool to promote dog sports in my local area.

Oh, and once my girls were older I'd get myself a beautiful Dutch Shepherd. :p Guess I'd have all the time in the world if I quit my job! :D :D :D

Let's hear yours!

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Hmmmm. I often dream about it, just think of how stress free you'd live.

We always drive by all these farms, and I would love to get myself some land. Have some fabulous woods for hikes with the pooches and some mountain bike trails.

I would love to also have a training facility, a nice spot we could run agility and flyball. Oooh and a really fantastic dog park (pool, tunnels, digging section).

And last but certainly not least, with two herding breeds now, I would LOVE to get some sheep and get into herding, potentially even to do trials.

Siiiiigh. A girl can dream.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I would build a room in my new home that would have a temperature-controlled floor. Around the walls, there would be kitty habitrails and climbing areas. There would be an exit out onto a custom sunroom for wildlife watching. There'd also be a washing and grooming station with a built-in shower stall and special enclave for a litter box.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Oh gosh I love threads like this eeeee!

I would but myself a large farm with tonnes of land, plenty of space for Buster and all of my clients to run and play. I'd build them a pool for sure, I'd also have a barn for agility, a specially built dog room with a shower, specially built beds and crates as well as a separate doggy play room. Probably try and make room for a training facility in there aswell.

I'd love a highland cow aswell, they are the cutest! I'd love a big fancy farm kitchen, I love to cook. I'd also need a ridiculous movie room, I'm an absolute movie freak.

Probably after I settled in I would get a GSP or a GSMD and just be happy as Larry

Reactions: laceyj19

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would... not personally get a lot more dogs and work on rehabbing them.

I would however throw a heck of a lot of money at the local shelters and rescues that are already doing that, with well experienced trainers already on hand, allowing them to expand what they're doing instead of forcing dogs to go through my bumbling well-intentioned stupidity. They do fantastic work, and as a municipal pound one of them has over 95% success in rehoming their dogs AND cats. If I give them more money to work with they could expand their facilities at the least!

And then I'd get a keeshond from the best breeders I could find. Lots of research has led me to believe they will be the fluffy dogbutt for me.

And possibly a few more cats. We've only got the one now..

.... and then one of those really big expensive RVs so I can drive around the country with all my pets, sightseeing while they still have the security of home. Just me and my menagerie, taking up 12 parking spaces at walmart.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Poodles. So many poodles.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would buy out my neighbours houses, demolish them and just have grassy land for my two , never have to go to a dog park again!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I would have a grooming room. Have a bath with a walk up ramp, so I wouldn't have to lift the dog, nor bend over to wash them. It would have an overhead sprayer and great big drain so it drained quickly and my dog wouldn't be standing in dirty water, due to a slow drain.

The room would have easy to squeegee walls and floors for that after bath shake the dogs do...and it's own laundry set for washing the towels. There would even be a shower hose/head on one wall with a drain in the floor for quick clean up of feet and stuff so the dog wouldn't have to go all the way up into the bath.

And of course, it would have a work table that the dog would walk onto, then hydraulically lift to the height I wanted in order to brush or clip their coats when needed.

The other thing I would have would be an a few acres of totally fenced in yard for them to run around in....with shady trees and a small, shallow but swift running brook for them to wade into on warmer days. The yard would have a chute that leads up to the house where they could get in and out of the house through a doggy door.

My cats, I would have a 'cat yard'. Basically like a 50 foot x 100 foot cage with 14 foot high chain link 'walls'. Nothing could swoop down to kill them (like a hawk or owl) and nothing could get to them by burrowing into it either as there would be a cement border the bottom of the fencing wire would be in. Inside the cat yard would be some fake trees they could climb, some various sized tunnels they could crawl in and out of, areas of tall grass, and short grass they can prowl through and a little bird bath sized pool of water with a gentle stream of water coming from a spout, that they could sip out of the basin, or like my one cat likes to do...dip her paw in and play with the water or wack at the water stream and try to lick it as it comes out of the faucet. There would also be a large sand box set within a 3 wall room and solid roof to keep the weather at bay. The ground's keeper would be in charge of buying kitty litter by the bulk and in raking said...sand box....lol.

There would also be a cat door from the cage area that leads into a climate controlled room where they will have more indoor kitty condos, beds, and toys, and shelving they can get to via ramps, with another cat door that leads from there into the house itself.

To reward myself for setting up such a nice place for my pets, I would have a smallish swimming pool sized jet tub off from my master bedroom. It would have it's own dedicated hot water tank that was super fast at heating water.

I would also set up and fund a foundation so people could come in and get free neuter and spaying certificates for the vet of their choice and come in and get emergency funds to try to save their animals if an accident happened and they couldn't afford to pay for the vet care. Those with low incomes would also be allowed vouchers to help pay for better quality pet food and annual visits and immunization shots for their pets.

Ok, so that took care of ? $20 million - now, how to go about spending the other $100 million. :D

Stormy

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I would definitely give a lot to specific shelters I know of. The shelter I work for, the shelter I volunteered for for years, the crappy inner-city shelter Tyrion came from, and the shelter a friend runs in GA. And I would give a lot to CAPS and other puppy mill rescue/awareness groups. I would also try to give money to political campaigns to make puppy stores/internet sales illegal, and put up anti-puppy mill/pet store billboards near puppy stores.

I would also want to buy a big house with several acres that is in a semi-rural area. I'd definitely want to have a "dog room" that had lots of crates, a dog bath, and other dog supplies. Space for a whelping room for foster dogs and all would be great too. I'd want to start my own rescue and I've even got a name idea for it!

I might also want to start some programs for low-income people to help them keep pets, and prevent young boys from getting involved in dog fighting by promoting responsible pet ownership and safe dog sports they could participate in instead.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I'd build a farmhouse on my own farmland and start getting some livestock like sheep, goats, and alpaca. Then, chickens, horses, and bees.

I'd donate to local shelters. I think I'd like to build an area for unwanted cats and give them a good place to be. I may also start fostering senior dogs, hopefully to adopt out but if not they'd have a place to live out their last days.

I'd get some sort of part-time receptionist job just to get me out of the house, and volunteer with as many causes as I could.

Then, I'd buy my mother a brand new car of her choice :)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I'd buy a lot of land with fields, forest, and a water source, a house, a barn, solar panels, greenhouses, and a large fence surrounding the area. I'd be completely self sustainable with goats and chickens. Probably a few horses as well. Maybe I'd have a street of houses or condos and just have my own commune where my friends and family would be welcome.

I'd travel the world with my band performing and recording music.

I would build a super nice luxury dog boarding kennel with a fitness center and pool, grooming salon, play groups, training programs, and hiking. It would be cool to offer training classes, physical therapy, and a dog "fat camp."

Would probably get into breeding and/or rescue at some point because those are both things I would be interested in if I had the time and money.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My first thought? If the payoff from the lottery was big enough to cover it, the first thing I'd do is quit my job. It's not that I dislike what I do, but the bureaucrats who are now controlling the work environment make it difficult to do what I do well, and I don't enjoy that. I'd also really fancy telling those running the place that if they want me to invest in the operation that certain things would have to change...

I'm with those who would prefer to donate to shelters/rescues/organizations that are doing a great job already as opposed to starting my own too, as I'm not sure that I'd be the best person to run such a thing. Take that back: I know I wouldn't be. I'd be happy to volunteer and be active, but I don't want to run the business aspect of it at all. If I'm already quitting my job to reduce the stress of the work environment, why would I want to take on all that stress again?

I'd also up the hours on my therapy dog work because I'd have the time to do it, and I'd like to see what else my dog and I could do as well, not so much for competitive purposes but just to see if we could do something like rally. Beyond that, I wouldn't mind doing things like volunteering at the local pavilion for the arts, simply because I enjoy their art galleries, concerts, and plays.

I might consider a different home--love the idea posted upthread of a big whirlpool/jacuzzi type spa in my home (particularly with the way my back and shoulders are feeling today) and neither of my current bathrooms would accommodate it--but I don't have any particular dreams about exactly what that home would look like. If I had unlimited funds, so that travel didn't involve having to fly coach with three and four hour layovers, I might travel some but probably domestic at first, as I'm afraid a really long flight would throw my shoulder out something fierce. I'd love for that travel to involve my dog too, but I refuse to have him travel like luggage, so I'm thinking that domestic travel that could be done by car might work better. Has anyone been to one of those doggie summer camps? I always thought they sounded like fun. Oh, and on a non-dog related note, I would so love to go to some major figure skating competitions, which are beyond my ability to afford in real life.

And I know this is so small it sounds silly, but at least one facial and pedicure every month would be so nice (understand, my dog is professionally groomed once a month already, so guess whose needs typically come first).

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
My first thought? If the payoff from the lottery was big enough to cover it, the first thing I'd do is quit my job. .....

I'd be happy to volunteer and be active,.............

I might consider a different home--love the idea posted upthread of a big whirlpool/jacuzzi type spa in my home..........

If I had unlimited funds........... so that travel didn't involve having to fly coach with three and four hour layovers..........
.... my dog ...I refuse to have him travel like luggage, so I'm thinking that domestic travel that could be done by car might work better.

And I know this is so small it sounds silly, but at least one facial and pedicure every month would be so nice (understand, my dog is professionally groomed once a month already, so guess whose needs typically come first).
I had to smile while reading your post.
You really need to think 'BIG' and think *MEGA RICH* when dreaming about the lotto. :D

~ Yes... quit your job!...let some poor unemployed person have a shot at earning a living by taking your place in the workforce.

~Yes! volunteer to keep socially active and work at something you love to do, and can be there when ever you wish to be there for as long as you want to be there.

~That was my post about the huge (sunk in) tub/jacuzzi that would be in a bath off of my masterbed room - which would also have a door that opened up into an indoor swimming pool. Remember - think *big* lol. I wouldn't have so much a 'huge home' but I would have extremely exquisite details in my home. : )

~Travel... Forget commerical flights!
Private JET! :thumbsup:
That way your doggy travels with you, and you a have your own full sized bed in the plane for long flights and your own flight personal to set up the dining table and clear the dishes afterwards. Ditto with overland travel, your custom motor home or limo with driver.

If a motor home, tow a car that you can use to go investigate a city or area while the motor home is being set up for the night. The driver can then take the motorcycle that was hooked to the back of the motor home and go get a motel room. so you can have the motor home to yourself.

Or if in a limo, you just stay at the best motel room in town for you and your limo driver and use your limo for all the around town site seeing.

Oh and the pedicure/manicure...hire your own private stylist/makeup/hair and nail care people. You will be seeing these folks more than several times a month, if you care about looking great and/or keeping up with the lastest fashions ....lol. Also, private masseuse - getting a back rub once a week...would be heavenly... I've had back surgery and also have two other disks that can't be operated on, so I would love to have a masseuse on hand or should I say, hands on. : )

If you are going to fantasize about hitting the lotto...remember first rule of thumb... Think outrageously rich and put those $millions$ to work in making your world great!. :cool: ...LOL.

Stormy :rockon:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I've day dreamed about this often and when I dream it I foresee winning, like, 20-50 million lol.

Anyway I'd keep my house, and probably buy a few more houses too, renovate it and rent it out to people who have dogs (big dogs in particular) because there is no rentals in my city that allow them and that's just sad - I had a woman today call the clinic crying because she had no where to live after being told her rental was sold, couldn't find a place that would take her and her dogs and had to decide to either euthanize her elderly boxers or release them to rescue. To me that's unthinkable, no one should have to make that choice so I'd be the change I want to see.

For myself, I'd buy me some prime Albertan acreage, though not too much. Close to either Lethbridge or Calgary for convenience sake, although I've thought about moving nearer to Banff - gorgeous land there. I'd build my dream house, not too big not too small, put in a pool for Tessa, get another couple of pooches and maybe a cat, get some horses, chickens and goats, and maybe open a dog kennel on the side for a business. I'd also buy myself a ginormous RV, a truck to go along with my jeep, and purchase a summer home on a lake somewhere.

Yeah when I dream I dream BIG.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Oh man, Banff is fantastic! What a clever idea!

Reactions: KayWilson

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
@laceyj19 I would do the exact same thing! Indoor and outdoor for agility, an outdoor arena for the horses. Hopefully close to a bunch of trails for the ponies. A decent sized house (not huge, I certainly won't have time to clean anything too large), and maybe eventually down the road another dog. I'd be up for putting on trials but really I would love to have a few trainers teach at my place. Of course I would attend all the classes!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.