Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm kind of confused as to what you mean? Do you mean a problem my dog creates or a problem created by owning a dog?

If I could magically poof away his wariness and growl/barking at strangers then I would in a heartbeat. Owners who wants a "protective dog" - be careful what you wish for. This is a trait I am working really hard on getting rid of.

If I could change a problem created by having a dog, I would want all stores and shops to change their dog policy and allow dogs that aren't problematic and are on leash into stores or at least have areas designated to keep your dogs while you're shopping that are air conditioned so I don't have to worry about working around a schedule that involves my dog and grocery shopping on a hot day. (Dreaming big here!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi COS,

A problem your dog creates or a problem created by owning a dog, both are fine :)

I like your idea of having air conditioned areas for your dogs while shopping. It'll take a very long time for every store to do this, but I believe it's possible.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I wish a local mall or all of them had indoor kennels for customers' dogs. They don't have to be big, only the size of a large crate, but the door should be able to be locked and access to water would be a perk. In the summer it would protect customers' dogs from overheating and in the winter from freezing. It would also make stealing or harassing the dogs less easy. Some shopping places have locked crates but they are outside.

I'd like to eat more ethically but dogs are carnivores and I feel quilty for that along the fact that I still have not implemented much changes in my own diet either. I don't want to give up life with dogs because that would kill me. A paradox I cannot solve.

·
Registered
579 Posts
This might sound like kind of a pretentious maybe even wankyanswer but here goes:

I wish that dog people could be more forgiving of other dog people. What I mean by that is ...well less cliquey and more accepting. We all have our opinions of how dogs should be treated, acquired, raised, trained, fed, ect. However I have noticed that a lot of dog people aren't particularly accepting of other peoples ideas. It seems if you don't do things "their way" then everything you do is wrong wrong wrong!

People cannot seem to accept that there is "No one true way".

Also on aside note: I am getting kind of sick of the "adopt! don't shop!" message getting shoved down peoples throats so it would be nice if those people could be a bit more accepting that not everyone wants to adopt a rescue and that is okay!

Reactions: Sha and Liminal

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Zody's wariness of people and large dogs would be fixed.

There would be more dog friendly housing, especially large dog friendly.

The prejudice against pit bull mixes would be gone.

It would hurt less when a beloved dog passed away.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Other stuff I'd like to change:

- legal places to let my dog to be off-leash that are not those tiny fenced boring sandboxes called dog parks. A 5 km (3 mile) long off-leash path would be so nice. I have nothing against having a longer route or a network of them. Though then we had to fight those who bring aggressive dogs there.
- no for puppy mills and smuggled puppies, no for people buying them.
- a local "celebrity" should rehome her dogs and never buy another. The only breed suitable for her is the cotton-stuffed sort. Though alternatively giving up unhealthy friends and alcohol would also help her dogs tremendously.
- having less illnesses and temperamental problems in dogs

·
Registered
45 Posts
- For the breeds I like, I now wish I had a yard. Or at least a large room even indoors for us to train and run. This is a problem. I have no yard. hahah <__<

- I wish I could take away all fear-related issues, inappropriate aggression issues, and anxiety in dogs who have it, whether it's towards cars, other dogs, other people, thunder, high-traffic, new places in general, etc. I wish all dogs are happy, stable, confident, and bounce back perfectly from traumatic experiences.

*turns into a wish post*

·
Registered
531 Posts
This might sound like kind of a pretentious maybe even wankyanswer but here goes:

I wish that dog people could be more forgiving of other dog people. What I mean by that is ...well less cliquey and more accepting. We all have our opinions of how dogs should be treated, acquired, raised, trained, fed, ect. However I have noticed that a lot of dog people aren't particularly accepting of other peoples ideas. It seems if you don't do things "their way" then everything you do is wrong wrong wrong!

People cannot seem to accept that there is "No one true way".
A lot of this. But then, on the other hand, I think there are still things too well-accepted in pockets of the dog community so maybe I'm too judgmental myself.

The one big thing I've been irritated with lately that covers both sides there are working dog people who are so irrationally opposed to dogs from working lines or breeds going to well-vetted, active pet homes that they'd rather see any dog they don't want for their program or can't sell to work destroyed than speutered and carefully placed. Not saying there are no valid reasons for lethal culling or that all working bred dogs that don't make the cut can be placed in alternative homes responsibly, but enough can that instant euthanasia for any little disqualification is not rational or ethical these days imo. Especially when you're doing it commonly.

And the dogs? They're dogs. As long as their physical and mental needs are met they don't give a crap whether you consider how they spend their time "work" or not. :eyeroll:

It is kind of a problem for me as a future potential dog buyer - and I do work my current dog, if somewhat lightly, and will work any future dog.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
being able to swim together with my dog in the same lake.
either it is allowed to let the dog swim in it, but humans are not allowed or the other way around.
it was not that hard to find a swimming lake 10 years ago, with teo, :I

I also wish I'd have been more knowledgable with teo back then...Teo was awesome, but i tihnk a big part of it was not because of me and my dad being great in training dogs. :(

Reactions: Liminal

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'd get rid of Tessa's reactivity in a heartbeat. She's good once she meets calm dogs, but it gets exhausting to tell people to keep their dogs away.

I also wish there were more places I could take my dog. Every park in my area doesn't allow dogs in it, every lake doesn't allow dogs, etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,351 Posts
I agree with @Grabby. The only thing wrong with owning dogs is that they don't live very long.

The other bummer for me is other dog owners being irresponsible. If we could figure out how to solve these two things, we'd be golden.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts