Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a peekapoo and plan to train and become a certified therapy dog team. I want her to look very adorable for her first time at the nursing home (where I work) with me. However, since a peekapoo is (as I've been told by other haters a mutt.) mixed breed. I am unsure what she should look like. I do not like the peekingese style simply because it is soo long thick and hard to manage for my lifestyle. Not to mention the horrid humid weather we have in Mississippi. It's just not good for a flat face pooch to be too hot.

I would like to keep the top knot or some pig tails but I wonder if this will look okay? What do you do for your mixed breeds?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Proud mommy of a mutt here :) a lot of ppl don't like the fancy names because they are used by back yard breeders who don't care about the health or well being but just $$$. So it is sad.

Anyways I'd wait until you have her. My girl is chihuahua/poodle mix & while I've seen a ton that end up with a more poodle fluffyness, she has the chi hair. I'd go to a groomer & just ask what they think. They can probably give the best advice for what will work just for her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
In general, poodle crosses seem to inherit the poodle coat- single coated wavy or curly hair. My favorite clip for that is the puppy cut, or some variation of it. It's cute and it's manageable.

My dog's a poodle mix (cockapoo) and we just clip her short every couple of months. Nothing special.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
You should go with the style best for your dog, and have it look however you like. And I agree, a bow would be cute!

Side note, mutt is only a derogatory term if you let it be ;) My dog's tags say Buddy the Mutt on them, as well as it being the title of his blog.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Don't let the mutt thing get to you! Honestly, I have never owned a pure bred dog until I got my chi's and the only reason I got them was because I knew the breeder very well.

Now, on to the hair-do....I think you are going to have to wait to see how her coat grows in. She may be more poodly so need to be groomed that way to keep her curls neat and tidy. She may also be more pekingese and need to have her coat cut more in line with that breed. I would make sure you have a good relationship with a groomer either way because either way she is going to need a hair cut every 6-8 weeks. BUT....definitely pig tails!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It really depends on your puppy's coat....at first just keeping her clean and getting her used to being brushed everyday is really important! My girl is a poodle mutt, but looks more poodle and I love keeping her looking like a foufou dog (she's really a tomboy) but it requires a lot of grooming..........every day! And if you are aiming for her to be a therapy dog, they require real cleanliness! As she gets older you will know weather or not you can keep up with long hair or opt for a shorter clip! There are lots of grooming sites to google, and maybe find the clip that will fit both your lifestyle and her coat! Have fun!

This is my Molly after a grooming session!

Attachments

Reactions: Chasethemutt

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't let the mutt thing get to you! Honestly, I have never owned a pure bred dog until I got my chi's and the only reason I got them was because I knew the breeder very well.

Now, on to the hair-do....I think you are going to have to wait to see how her coat grows in. She may be more poodly so need to be groomed that way to keep her curls neat and tidy. She may also be more pekingese and need to have her coat cut more in line with that breed. I would make sure you have a good relationship with a groomer either way because either way she is going to need a hair cut every 6-8 weeks. BUT....definitely pig tails!
I like pig tails too!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It really depends on your puppy's coat....at first just keeping her clean and getting her used to being brushed everyday is really important! My girl is a poodle mutt, but looks more poodle and I love keeping her looking like a foufou dog (she's really a tomboy) but it requires a lot of grooming..........every day! And if you are aiming for her to be a therapy dog, they require real cleanliness! As she gets older you will know weather or not you can keep up with long hair or opt for a shorter clip! There are lots of grooming sites to google, and maybe find the clip that will fit both your lifestyle and her coat! Have fun!

This is my Molly after a grooming session!
I already know I want it short.it is easier to clean and manage between grooming especially for therapy work...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I'm getting a peekapoo and plan to train and become a certified therapy dog team. I want her to look very adorable for her first time at the nursing home (where I work) with me. However, since a peekapoo is (as I've been told by other haters a mutt.) mixed breed. I am unsure what she should look like. I do not like the peekingese style simply because it is soo long thick and hard to manage for my lifestyle. Not to mention the horrid humid weather we have in Mississippi. It's just not good for a flat face pooch to be too hot.

I would like to keep the top knot or some pig tails but I wonder if this will look okay? What do you do for your mixed breeds?
First, just want to say that many people don't have issues with mixed breed dogs themselves...
Rather it's that they find the vast majority of breeders producing mixed breed/"designer breeds" unethical as they typically are not showing/competing, doing genetic/health testing (def visit:Canine Health Information Center: CHIC Breeds to get an idea of the different tests that should be done by breed), and often do not really take temperament into consideration. It's not uncommon for people to disagree with the purchase of such dogs, but do support adopting through shelters and rescue groups. But enough about that!:p ;)

As for style, honestly it's going to depend on coat type. If your puppy has a poodle type coat then you'll be able to try out all sorts of different clips. If your dog ends up with a peke type coat, your going to want to leave it natural (only trimming would be between foot pads and perhaps a minimal sanitary trim). Clipping/shaving would likely destroy such a coat and you would have even more trouble during hot months! you may want to take a look at this thread just so you can be better prepared!:)
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-grooming/why-its-not-good-shave-double-106058/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts