Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! New here. I’m interested in soon adopting a puppy. Can anyone identify the attached breed?
FC72FE80-4DA0-497C-B5E1-15850641773D.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
Looks like a crossbreed - have you seen the puppy, or do you just like the look of it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just really like the size of him. And I prefer mixed breeds actually. So you think a golden doodle? He’s not really that large.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I just really like the size of him. And I prefer mixed breeds actually. So you think a golden doodle? He’s not really that large.
That was just a guess..I am not great at guessing breeds; in fact I usually guess completely wrong! :LOL:
There are large and smaller goldendoodles depending on their parents, and which genes are dominant.

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
He might be a cavapoo or a cockapoo.

You do need to be careful with mixed breeds, partly because you are far less likely to find ethical breeders who carry out important health tests (particularly if it is a cavapoo, I would be very, very wary) and partly because their popularity makes them honey pots for puppy mills.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He might be a cavapoo or a cockapoo.

You do need to be careful with mixed breeds, partly because you are far less likely to find ethical breeders who carry out important health tests (particularly if it is a cavapoo, I would be very, very wary) and partly because their popularity makes them honey pots for puppy mills.
Thanks! Honestly, I’m good with a shelter dog too! I just liked the way he looked and the size.

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
There is no doubt these crosses are cute. But, like I said, it's very, very hard to source one from a responsible breeder. If the look appeals to you, you could get a pedigree poodle more safely, and have it left in a shaggy clip.

That said, there is far more to think about than looks. You need to think about what exercise you can offer, your skill and willingness regarding training, grooming, what hours you work and what provision you make for the dog then.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks! Honestly, I’m good with a shelter dog too! I just liked the way he looked and the size.
That one looks like a cocker mix to me, but I agree with the above - you don't want to buy a puppy that is a deliberate cross breed like that.
First, think about what you are going to offer the dog in the way of time and exercise, training, play, attention, and so on, and then give some thought to going to a rescue organization for your dog. A good rescue will take all of your information on where and how you live, what you have to offer a dog and what you want to do with your dog, and they will match you to the right one. don't get hung up on getting a puppy -- your perfect dog might be an adult.

Best of luck........and let us know how it goes, or if you have other questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts