Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had these 2 brothers from the same mother since Dec 2000. Born in the Mountains of Georgia. I know their mom was a 85 lb Rottie but I am not sure what their dad was. I do know she was around a male white German Shepard for a while though. Cancer took Harley from me in Aug 14,2014. Old age took his brother Rommel from me in Sept 11,2015. I miss them so much. I hope to Identify the breed type as close as possible, it is the intelligence,loyalty,protectiveness and basic nature I would like to find again. I know I can not find exact copies of my 2 best friends but I would like to get 2 brothers from the same mother with as close to the same personalities as I can get. They weighed 95-98 lbs, had double dew claws and one of them had a black spot on his tongue.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rob C
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Loads of people come onto this site--and this board specifically with a question very much like this. But the thing is, just because you find a do with a similar breed, that doesn't mean they will be like the dogs you had. I had two Doxies fathered from the same sire and they were like night and day.

To answer your original question I can most definitely see the Rottie in them, but I would say they have some retriever too, likely Lab or maybe Golden. However most mixed breed dogs are not 50/50, but mix of many different things. But really, I think you'd both be making it very difficult for yourself trying to find the exact same mixes or copies of your dog and ultimately be disappointed. Not only that, but the fact they are littermates may also prove disappointing, as the parents or mother of the new dogs you get, might not have the disposition you desire. Not only that but very often getting two littermates can cause problems, as some may begin to fight as they hit maturity. I believe it worked wonderfully for you previously but there's no telling what will happen next time.

I think your best move would be to contact a dog rescue, perhaps even one that specializes in Rottweilers (as most of the qualities you listed are Rottie ones) and see if you can find anything. If you are willing to take two dogs, it might be a good idea to find a bonded pair, as it's VERY difficult to find homes for large breed bonded pairs. That way you know the dogs get along beforehand, and won't have to deal with any big conflicts down the road. You will most definitely be able to find a dog with some Rottie and/or retriever mixes in them, as they are some of the most common breeds.

All in all, I wish you the best of luck in finding your new friend, and hope you keep in mind that you need to evaluate the new dog(s) as they are and from the qualities you want, not from a standard made by your previous dogs.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
which Georgia? the one with the red cross on white ground flag?
those look like a mix out of some kind of molosser and Labrador to me.
but if you're from Georgia there could perhaps also be some kind of Lifestock guard dog in the mix to... you've got kaukasian Ovtcharkas in Georgia and they also can come with shorter hair, but the tail doesn't look like one to me.

·
Registered
713 Posts
My first guess would be Lab with some sort of mastiff, but since you said their mom was a Rottie that would explain the mastiff that I see. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like one of your boys had his forleg amputated, was it from cancer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first guess would be Lab with some sort of mastiff, but since you said their mom was a Rottie that would explain the mastiff that I see. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like one of your boys had his forleg amputated, was it from cancer?
Yes it was cancer. Colorado State Veterinary hospital identified it as Histiocytic sarcoma. It was located above his foot, the DVM recommended an aggressive amputation of the limb and informed me that due to the nature of this type of cancer it would come back. They guessed 18 months he made another 30 months. It came back two more times, slowed it down with IV Chemo x 5 treatments. He was a great spirit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts