Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some ideas of what preliminary things I can check or watch for before I speak with the vet. Needless to say, I'm limiting his exercise for now.

4 year old Black Lab
highly active
66 lbs

Day before yesterday:
While walking across the house, he suddenly yelps in pain. Lifts up his left front leg. I inspect, flex, massage, but find nothing obvious. Limping heavily, but the limp rapidly subsides, and withing about 3 minutes, it's completely gone. No other signs.

He's not licking it or paying it any attention for the rest of the day.

Yesterday:
We went out for a nearly two hour hike. No issues, no limping, no pain and he didn't lick or pay it any mind after the exercise. We went hiking early in the morning and he was normal for the rest of the day.

Today:
Walking easy on flat surface, he suddenly stops, sits and is holding is left front paw (same paw) in the air. He looks in obvious pain. I inspect, massage and flex again. I can't see anything apparent.

Same scenario as day before yesterday. Right after I examined him best I could, he limps heavily but the limp subsides very quickly. Within 3 minutes or so he's walking and running as usual. No limp, nothing visible.

We got home and he's not licking it or favoring it. Not paying it any mind at all.

Is there anything I can monitor or check for this phantom limp and pain? I'm a bit out of ideas on what could cause an acute, but rapidly decreasing pain.

Side note: he's exhibited similar symptoms before in his life. Maybe once a year, there would be one day and one instance where he'd get the same phantom pain and limp that would go away within minutes to not return for a year or so. I attributed it to random pains that we, humans, have at times. Like, for example you move a weird way and you get stabbing pain in the knee, but can't replicate it and it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I found the source. It's his dew claw.

The day before yesterday when he yelped in pain, it was when he actually stepped on his toy - I remember it now.

I checked it, but don't see any swelling or anything like that. Last time something similar happened he actually broke off his dew claw, but it doesn't seem to be the case now.

Can they sprain their drew digit?

I'll keep monitoring.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I think I found the source. It's his dew claw.

The day before yesterday when he yelped in pain, it was when he actually stepped on his toy - I remember it now.

I checked it, but don't see any swelling or anything like that. Last time something similar happened he actually broke off his dew claw, but it doesn't seem to be the case now.

Can they sprain their drew digit?

I'll keep monitoring.
Are you sure there is not a crack anywhere on the nail. My hound has done this before and the crack is on the back where you can't see it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look closer but haven't seen a crack in the nail.

Will monitor over the next few days to see where this goes. He still isn't paying it any attention by licking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts