Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Kekoa came down with kennel cough and we caught it early. The vet prescribed him antibiotics just in case. Does anyone have ideas on how to get him to take it?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Is it pills? just disguise it in things like peanute butter, pate, cheese ect. anything dog friendly.

When our old dog got an ear infection we put it in pate and gave him at certain times of the day as instructed. He being a very clever dog he figured out that routine and was rather sad and confused when he stopped getting his regular treat when the course was over :D

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Some dogs don't like peanut butter...most of my dogs didn't like it. Plus since it's all sticky, I would think it would make swallowing a pill kind of difficult to do?

I've always used a small bit of cheese, or a bit of meat, mold it around the pill so the dog can swallow it without chewing it too much. Also, they make a dog treat called pill pockets or something like that...it has a hollow space in the center of a soft treat that can be molded shut around the pill inside. In my itty bitty town, it's hit or miss as to whether or not the stores stock it.

If you are giving a liquid, usually I just use to take the dropper, stand a little behind the dog, gently hold their head under the chin, and wedge the dropper into the corner of the dogs mouth and squeeze. The dog then licks it and swallows it. I think some of those liquid antibiotics have a banana taste to them, so most dogs don't mind the taste. Some will even willingly lick it off the dropper.

Stormy

Reactions: 3dogday517

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
I use hotdogs or pill pockets, and if my dog starts to eat around the pill (I had one start that) I do what TiggerBounce described.

If you have a real food hound you may be able to stick the pill in a spoonful of canned food and have him take it like that.

Reactions: StormyPeak

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i use peanut butter/wet food for my dogs usually. they don't seem to have any trouble with it BUT i was giving clover a larger pill once and it kinda stuck and he was reluctant for a bit after that.

this solved that issue:
I usually wrap pills in cheese. Toss one piece of cheese with no pill. Toss the piece with the pill. Now toss one more piece of cheese with no pill.
To keep a dog from getting pill smart...

Get a hot dog, cut into 4-5 pieces. Put pill in one. Start tossing dog random pieces of hot dog for your dog to catch. It won't know when the pill is coming and won't care because it just thinks it's catching and eating hot dog.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had a week of meds to give to my dog. I took about a 1" pinch of bologna, stuck the pill flat in the meat, tossed her on bite without the pill (she swallowed it in one gulp), tossed the one with the pill in it & "gulp" it was down! It works, everytime, for me! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
if all else fails I would crush the pill and mix it into soft food
I wouldn't do that unless the vet said it was ok.

Some pills have buffers to prevent them from breaking down until they get to a certain point, in the digestive track, so as to not cause an upset tummy, and other pills are timed released for other reasons.

If you crush or break a pill it could mess up with the way the medicine is released. But sometimes too, the pill can give you a clue. A lot of pills have a 'break ridge' in them...where they are meant to be snapped in two if a lower dosage is required. But, I would still be careful about crushing even those unless the vet told me it was ok.

And, yeah, that feeding non loaded bits of treats along with the one that has the pill in it, is a good way to keep the dog from noticing you just slipped him a mickey. LOL

Stormy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all so much! It is pills, doxycicline. I've tried the peanut butter and he's such a smart boy he didn't go for it. Lol We're trying honey on one of his treats sometimes it works sometimes not. I will try the hot dogs or pill pockets since we have a few more days to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
****Update****

I tried the bologna and it worked like a charm! It even him to sit, which I'm teaching him in another language. Thank you all again!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts