Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am just trying to sort out the ideal schedule for my two dogs :)
By walking I mean for exercise not potty.

I'd like to do two walks a day. The first walk would be right away in the morning. When it is still nice and cool and before they eat.

Is it ok to feed them as soon as we get home or should I wait a while/how long? The walk is not long 1-2 miles. They both act starved after every walk no matter when lol

The second walk is where I am kindof struggling with the timing.

With this summer weather it really is not comfortable to walk before 8pm here most days. That is when I would prefer to walk them.

But I don't think I should wait to feed them until after that because its pretty late. They go to bed at 10pm.

But they often do not eat dinner until 5-6pm. Is that early enough before a walk?

Though it would mean for sure they would potty on the walk which ugh I kindof hate that lol

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I think your morning schedule is fine. As for dinner time, I always try to wait at least an hour after they eat before doing heavy exercise. With my guys since they only get a small amount (I feed twice daily too) for their meals and they aren't prone to bloat and don't have a barell chest, sometimes I only wait half an hour, but always at least between half an hour and a hour. Since by the time your guys eat to the time its even cool enough to walk, that's at a minimum 2 hours which I think should be fine.
I get what you mean with the heat though, summer weather sucks sometimes.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't have a schedule and neither does my dog...which I am fan of because it make things easier when the scheduled needs to change. Other than no hard exercise 45 min after eating we mix things up every day.

In winter time we go play before it gets dark THEN he eats...summer he eats a bit earlier then we play later. 6pm dinner and 8pm walk is totally fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't have also schedule on walking of my dogs. Sometimes we usually do in the morning before the sunrise, sometime also we do walking in the afternoon before the sunset. And I don't get any problem with it :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.