Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6YO dog had diarrhea lasting two months over one year ago. After numerous treatments and tests were done he was diagnosed with protein loosing enteropathy. The vet said he had Inflamatory Bowel Disease. He was prescribed Prednisone and the diarrhea stopped almost immediately. He was weaned off the Pred. The diarrhea has never returned. Shortly after discontinuing the Pred he lost his appetite regularly. I have been aggressive about changing his diet to maintain his appetite, which he has responded to. At the vet for his annual shots lately, the vet told me not to change his diet anymore. I am struggling with this as malnutrition is a cause of protein loosing enteropathy. I do not want a relapse. He has skipped 5 meals in 9 days. I would like to transition him to another dog food. Please offer some feedback. Thanks for your input. Kevin

·
Registered
745 Posts
Vets do say that because too many changes of food 'can' cause diarrhea. I'd like to point out its 'can cause', not does cause. Some dogs are fine with it. My dog has always the same biscuits altho she has 3 types per day & she has a different protein each day, she is fine, no poop probs. Some dogs need the same thing everday. The main things I keep aware of is that she not having too many treats, not too much fat or salt & that she's eating good quality meat. That includes fish. She has the same meat I eat but I'l put some aside for her if what I'm adding to it is too rich or spicy. I also dont give her onions, garlic chilli or ginger so if I'm making meatballs or pattys which she loves, I leave them out of her ones. I also am very careful of her sugar intake. Fresh water daily, 2 bowls in case 1 runs out. I do give her minimum dairy products like cheese but its a low fat cheese & too much will give her runny poop. Because of her size she can have about a babys handful.

·
Super Moderator
10,772 Posts
I would think it's the IBD that's causing the appetite loss. I know that some dogs will learn to connect the food to their stomach hurting and refuse to eat the food. Have you tried something like The Honest Kitchen meal base which will allow you to control protein that's in the food while maintaining the core ingredients? You could also try a food like Fromm which allows you to switch between proteins while keeping the base ingredients the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input diamondemuzik and Rain. I am thinking for the time-being I will follow my vets advice. At 30 days I will check Alden's weight. If he's lost 5lbs I will want to see some bloodwork done. A definitive diagnosis of IBD requires a biopsy with intestine samples surgically removed. The reliability of a diagnosis depends on the quality of the samples. For now though, I would be interested in trying a supplement to minimize any possible inflammation in the gut. I will continue to try and reduce the fat, salt, and preservatives in his diet.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Prednisone will increase their appetite, sometimes dramatically. Weaning them off prednisone will often create kind of an appetite downward bounce, sometimes even losing interest in food for a period of time. My guess is, over time his appetite will improve, and yes your Vet is correct to avoid constantly changing his diet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts