Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a doggy mom of a 6yo Chihuahua. He is our pampered pooch, our first dog and we will have made mistakes in raising him being new at this. I had the longing for a second dog. A companion for our dog because I felt sad he had nobody except us to play with and he is overweight after castration and a playmate would bring more exercise. In the period before the castration he developed some aggression towards us. Warning us to stay away from him or even lashing out. We discovered he suffered from enlarged prostate and was castrated. He returned to our more calm, kind and cuddly doggy. Pain and high testosterone levels were probably the cause. So 1 ½ year on I thought it is now or never, he is 6 otherwise he will be too old to introduce a puppy. So after careful consideration I brought a little girl into our family. First day was careful exploration and on his side “what the hell”. Second day, she being very playful in the limited time she was out of the puppy pen he started correcting her. Okay as it should be. But as she was from a small home kennel a pack of 6 and her sister, she was used to frolicking with all the dogs. So she was al little insistent even when I corrected her. By day 3 our 6yo was hiding on the sofa the only place where could sort of be away from her, but even then her playing alone annoyed him. She had to spend lots of time in the puppy pen or crate. Playing and cuddling her was not easy with our older dog withdrawing even more and getting depressed.
All the literature and other dog owners of course said, be patient it takes a while. But I got more anxious with the situation. Did I underestimate our shy, nervous dog in his interaction with other dogs? Introducing one in his home was another matter. I saw him withdrawing more and more and the aggression returning and the little girl with big eyes in the puppy pen craving attention too. That my stress levels where spiking too did not help of course,I had the equivalent of the baby blues on day 3.
When the 5th morning I turned my back 5 seconds and heard a growl and snap I was sure he had bitten her, luckily he had not. That’s when I realized this is not going to work, stress out 2 dogs? Our oldest clearly was most happy in his life situation, was I going to make al lovely, bright beautiful puppy unhappy and him also? I called de breeder and explained the situation and asked if she would take our girl in her pack again and find her a new home.
I had become that person I never wanted to be. I committed to that girl for life and now after 5 days I already estimated the situation impossible. She agreed that it might be the best solution. So I took her back. She was so brave in the 2 hour drive for the second time in her stay with us. In her crate even so relaxed she napped and the other time looking at me with those big eyes. We arrived at the kennel, I was a bit upset with the breeder who instead of letting her calmly come out of her crate tried to take her out immediately causing her to yelp and even growl. “Wow she never did that before”, as if I brought back a traumatized pup when I did my best for 5 days to avoid that. But how would you feel being grabbed out of a crate. But I guess her haste was also out of concern?
When she let her come out in the puppy pen, slowly recognizing her sister again and the other dogs she was soon to playing again. The only thing was, there was a visiting chihuaha pup she did not let near her, growling. She even never did that to our dog, but I think she is going to be quite a character too.
I hate myself for failing her, I hope my decision to end this so soon is going to help her go on having a new home where she gets the happy puppy time she deserves like our oldest had. That she will soon forget that awkward short sleepover where she got cuddles and tickled, could run around in the grass, chased birds, annoyed a chubby red Chihuahua and got used to driving around in a car. I already loved you little girl, but sometimes love is not enough.
When I came home finding my oldest on the sofa, not daring to get of he would do normally, looking for the puppy I think I did the right thing. He spent the evening on the floor. Leaving his treats for hours, now he could do that again. He could be in his basket at the window again.
He is fully back to normal, the little girl is back to normal in her pack, with chance on happy home.
Me I have to deal with my failure, there will be tears for long time to come.
My mom said, love is also letting go…

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am a doggy mom of a 6yo Chihuahua. He is our pampered pooch, our first dog and we will have made mistakes in raising him being new at this. I had the longing for a second dog. A companion for our dog because I felt sad he had nobody except us to play with and he is overweight after castration and a playmate would bring more exercise. In the period before the castration he developed some aggression towards us. Warning us to stay away from him or even lashing out. We discovered he suffered from enlarged prostate and was castrated. He returned to our more calm, kind and cuddly doggy. Pain and high testosterone levels were probably the cause. So 1 ½ year on I thought it is now or never, he is 6 otherwise he will be too old to introduce a puppy. So after careful consideration I brought a little girl into our family. First day was careful exploration and on his side “what the hell”. Second day, she being very playful in the limited time she was out of the puppy pen he started correcting her. Okay as it should be. But as she was from a small home kennel a pack of 6 and her sister, she was used to frolicking with all the dogs. So she was al little insistent even when I corrected her. By day 3 our 6yo was hiding on the sofa the only place where could sort of be away from her, but even then her playing alone annoyed him. She had to spend lots of time in the puppy pen or crate. Playing and cuddling her was not easy with our older dog withdrawing even more and getting depressed.
All the literature and other dog owners of course said, be patient it takes a while. But I got more anxious with the situation. Did I underestimate our shy, nervous dog in his interaction with other dogs? Introducing one in his home was another matter. I saw him withdrawing more and more and the aggression returning and the little girl with big eyes in the puppy pen craving attention too. That my stress levels where spiking too did not help of course,I had the equivalent of the baby blues on day 3.
When the 5th morning I turned my back 5 seconds and heard a growl and snap I was sure he had bitten her, luckily he had not. That’s when I realized this is not going to work, stress out 2 dogs? Our oldest clearly was most happy in his life situation, was I going to make al lovely, bright beautiful puppy unhappy and him also? I called de breeder and explained the situation and asked if she would take our girl in her pack again and find her a new home.
I had become that person I never wanted to be. I committed to that girl for life and now after 5 days I already estimated the situation impossible. She agreed that it might be the best solution. So I took her back. She was so brave in the 2 hour drive for the second time in her stay with us. In her crate even so relaxed she napped and the other time looking at me with those big eyes. We arrived at the kennel, I was a bit upset with the breeder who instead of letting her calmly come out of her crate tried to take her out immediately causing her to yelp and even growl. “Wow she never did that before”, as if I brought back a traumatized pup when I did my best for 5 days to avoid that. But how would you feel being grabbed out of a crate. But I guess her haste was also out of concern?
When she let her come out in the puppy pen, slowly recognizing her sister again and the other dogs she was soon to playing again. The only thing was, there was a visiting chihuaha pup she did not let near her, growling. She even never did that to our dog, but I think she is going to be quite a character too.
I hate myself for failing her, I hope my decision to end this so soon is going to help her go on having a new home where she gets the happy puppy time she deserves like our oldest had. That she will soon forget that awkward short sleepover where she got cuddles and tickled, could run around in the grass, chased birds, annoyed a chubby red Chihuahua and got used to driving around in a car. I already loved you little girl, but sometimes love is not enough.
When I came home finding my oldest on the sofa, not daring to get of he would do normally, looking for the puppy I think I did the right thing. He spent the evening on the floor. Leaving his treats for hours, now he could do that again. He could be in his basket at the window again.
He is fully back to normal, the little girl is back to normal in her pack, with chance on happy home.
Me I have to deal with my failure, there will be tears for long time to come.
My mom said, love is also letting go…
Oh sadmommy, I feel for you, but you know in your heart that you did the right thing for both of them, don't you? You tried to make them both happy, it didn't work, but that's no fault of yours. Your mom's right, sometimes letting go is the only good thing you can do for them.

Don't cry yourself to sleep over this, she is back with her pack, she'll be fine. Getting it wrong for the right reasons is far better than not caring or trying.

Chin up, kid

Lynsey

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can understand you. It's so sad to bring back a pet. But sometimes we have to decide what is best for them and not for us.
I always said I would never give away a pet too. But a years ago when I had my first dog, I had also a cat. They both loved each other. One day my dog became very sick and within three days I had to put him down. Somehow my cat never forgave me. She didn't take food or even milk from me, she hid when she heard me and looked at me very angry. Her fur became rough and stump, she became slim, brought no more mice... And when my new dog came it got even worse. He couldn't even look at her and she got very angry. Now (more than 6 years ago) she lives with my parents and still don't want to see me. I would love to get her back but I'm sure she would run away and never come back.

Sometimes it is difficult to bring home a new pet. Some dogs love it to be the king in the house and have everything for their own. For them every other dog is just an opponent. Other are happy about each companion. Sadly it's difficult to say before what will happen.

In about 2-3 years I also want to have a second dog. My Akita is very good socialized and has such a good behaviour. I think a puppy could learn a lot from him. But what will happen when I bring another male Akita puppy home...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts