Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I think I'm not stupid when I posted this question.

I was bitten by coffee on my right arm inside my elbow. (please just imagine what part that is. I'm not good when describing :p)

It was when she's so hyper cause she saw me coming home from work.
Her teeth didn't go through my flesh because she just ripped off I think the first layer of my skin. It bleed because the skin was ripped. It was very small like a pencil lead.

For me, It was nothing actually. Why? because I think coffee is not a rabid dog. I didn't allow her to socialize with other dogs or with stray dogs as of the moment as per out vet recommendation. It was just my mom and boyfriend who were so much worried that I got rabies from her.

It's been 17 hours now since I got this bite. I can feel pain from the wound because it's still fresh. But the wound already closed. They want me to get vaccine against rabies. Should I?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
You're puppy is only 11 or 12 weeks old if I remember right. The chance that she has rabies is slim to none. In the time you've owned her has she shown any signs of being rabid?

"An animal infected with rabies may exhibit changes in behavior initially, appearing more friendly, aggressive or anxious than usual. As the condition worsens, animals may become extremely sensitive to light and sound. They may have seizures or become savage. They can lose coordination, bump into things, snap randomly at moving objects, other animals or humans. Sometimes they lick and bite excessively at the place where they were bitten. They may begin eating strange things and hiding in dark places. During the final stage, they may run a fever and suffer paralysis of the nerves in their head and throat. Eventually, the infected animals go into respiratory failure and die."

If she hasn't and no strange animal has bitten her in the time you've had her then I"d not be worried. She's now old enough to receive her rabies vaccine and I'd take her to go get it so that you and your family can stop worrying about her having rabies.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Is your dog vaccinated for rabies? If your dog is vaccinated, I personally wouldn't bother with the shots but I do not, however, know about how common it is in the Philippines or what the situation is there. I can see that your profile says the Philippines. It'd be best for you to research how common it is in the Philippines and get a second opinion from another doctor if you're unsure about the advice you were given. Rabies is extremely rare in the USA because most dogs and cats are vaccinated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're puppy is only 11 or 12 weeks old if I remember right. The chance that she has rabies is slim to none. In the time you've owned her has she shown any signs of being rabid?

"An animal infected with rabies may exhibit changes in behavior initially, appearing more friendly, aggressive or anxious than usual. As the condition worsens, animals may become extremely sensitive to light and sound. They may have seizures or become savage. They can lose coordination, bump into things, snap randomly at moving objects, other animals or humans. Sometimes they lick and bite excessively at the place where they were bitten. They may begin eating strange things and hiding in dark places. During the final stage, they may run a fever and suffer paralysis of the nerves in their head and throat. Eventually, the infected animals go into respiratory failure and die."

If she hasn't and no strange animal has bitten her in the time you've had her then I"d not be worried. She's now old enough to receive her rabies vaccine and I'd take her to go get it so that you and your family can stop worrying about her having rabies.

I can say that she's very friendly. I mean she goes with anyone who call her... But as I can see, she's not that aggressive. She barks most of the time but I think that's because she's inside her crate and just longing for cuddle with us.

Since her schedule for her anti rabies vaccine is scheduled on last week of march, is it possible to ask our vert to give her the anti rabies vaccine first instead of getting her 3 vaccine for 6 in 1?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your dog vaccinated for rabies? If your dog is vaccinated, I personally wouldn't bother with the shots but I do not, however, know about how common it is in the Philippines or what the situation is there. I can see that your profile says the Philippines. It'd be best for you to research how common it is in the Philippines and get a second opinion from another doctor if you're unsure about the advice you were given. Rabies is extremely rare in the USA because most dogs and cats are vaccinated.

She's not yet vaccinated for anti rabies. only 5 in 1 twice.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I can say that she's very friendly. I mean she goes with anyone who call her... But as I can see, she's not that aggressive. She barks most of the time but I think that's because she's inside her crate and just longing for cuddle with us.

Since her schedule for her anti rabies vaccine is scheduled on last week of march, is it possible to ask our vert to give her the anti rabies vaccine first instead of getting her 3 vaccine for 6 in 1?

Sounds like a perfectly normal puppy to me:thumbsup: What they mean is that the dog would be more friendly then they usually are. Rabies effects the brain and can cause personality change.

Reactions: marygrace

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a perfectly normal puppy to me:thumbsup: What they mean is that the dog would be more friendly then they usually are. Rabies effects the brain and can cause personality change.
I'm happy to see that you think she's normal. I read articles about rabies. It was fatal I know that. I just can't decide if I have to go to my doctor to get vaccinated or not.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Rabies can be fatal but explain to your parents this isn't like some random dog on the street that bit you. It's your dog and you would notice if she was ill or anything like that. I remember you said you're in the Philippines so it might be hard for them to see the different between a pet dog and street dog if that's what they're used to. But just make sure to clean the wound well and work on her with not using her mouth when playing!

Reactions: ColliesRock

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rabies can be fatal but explain to your parents this isn't like some random dog on the street that bit you. It's your dog and you would notice if she was ill or anything like that. I remember you said you're in the Philippines so it might be hard for them to see the different between a pet dog and street dog if that's what they're used to. But just make sure to clean the wound well and work on her with not using her mouth when playing!

yes I will. I'm still working on her nipping and mouthing. She's really super duper active and hyper and all. I'll focus on calming her..

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The best way to calm her is to exercise her with games, training and walking and other things so she's tired. There's also some fun toys you can buy online like kongs that you can put peanut butter or kong filling in. That can occupy her and make her feel like she's doing something so she won't be bored.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The best way to calm her is to exercise her with games, training and walking and other things so she's tired. There's also some fun toys you can buy online like kongs that you can put peanut butter or kong filling in. That can occupy her and make her feel like she's doing something so she won't be bored.
kongs? hmm. it's my first time to hear it. But I searched it already. I think it's rare here in the Philippines but I'll look everywhere to find and buy it if that will help me a lot. thank you for your wonderful Idea! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

BTW @ traciek88 - do you have any idea on how to make homemade kongs? I mean any alternative? because it's expensive if I buy kongs..

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I would be more concerned about getting a tetanus shot....at least in my area...in fact, anyone who gets bit by a dog here, has to get one. Rabies is a concern, but thankfully, most dogs here are vaccinated. However, people are really bad in keeping up on their tetanus shots.

Stormy

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Get a petrified marrow bone from a butcher. You can fill that with stuffing and they're almost indestructible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@seashoreduck & @StormyPeak - I went to my doctor earlier and he gave me tetnus booster. So I think I'm safe now.

traciek88 - I'll look for a bone marrow. That's more affordable.

I rushed her earlier to her vet cause when I arrived from work, they said that she's vomiting and has a diarrhea and not eating. I panicked. hahaha. Vet said she had fever. She's under medication now.

Thanks a lot guys! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts