Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I have no idea where to start!

My dog is a 10 week old Labrador x Rottweiller, currently on wagg puppy food. I would love to start feeding him a raw diet but I have no idea where I'd start. I ahve found a great website for ordering food off but I'm not sure how much to give each day or WHAT to give really.

Can anyone help out by maybe making me an example feeding plan for 3 days with approximate weights etc? I'm not sure of Ludo's weight at the moment.

I know I'm supposed to feed vegetables but how often do I feed them? Do I feed them on their own?

If anyone can please help me with these I'd be really grateful! I'll probably have more questions as time goes on :)

Peace
Akai-Chan

·
Registered
10 Posts
go to Amazon and order The Barf Diet by Dr. Ian Billinghurst. It will explain the diet and provide answers to all of your questions. A young pup will adapt very easily to the raw diet but you need to make sure you are meeting all of his nutritional needs. Go buy the book!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Make sure you do a LOT of research on any diet before feeding it. Feeding a home made diet (whether cooked, raw/barf etc) is open for nutritional deficiencies-so you really want to make sure you know what to feed!! It will depend on your dog's size, breed and activity level too.

Unfortunately most vets cannot recommend the raw diets as they are liable if they do-cite- (Homemade diets: attributes, pitfalls and a call for action, Dr. Rebecca L. Remmilard PhD, DVM, DACVN; Topics in Companion Animal Medicine Vol 23, Issue 3 Aug 2008) <----This is actually a wonderful article to read ;)

Here is a vet recommended supplement (the only one the avma recommends for home made diets) and its complete so there is no need for more supplements. You do have to speak to your vet to get dosing for it as it does not come with a dosing chart for the very reason that they want this followed up with a vet.
Welcome to the Balance IT® Web Site

There are a lot of members on here who do barf and raw diets so they can certainly give you more info then I can :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts