Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, about 4-5 months ago I adopted a border collie mix from a shelter. He had a broken leg and parvo. He is now about a year old and he is completely healed from all of his sicknesses. I really would like him to become a frisbee dog but I don't know how/ where to start.

He has trouble catching frisbees but I just really need some help.

Please help and give me some tips!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
"1000% of all frisbees dogs will always [let a disc drop] at the beginning. If they're not doing it. You don't have a dog"
This just in, Prowl, Streak and pretty much their entire litter are not dogs.

Start by teaching yourself to throw properly without your dog. That way you can learn what you need to do without worrying about what your dog is doing and you will have less risk of your dog hurting themself chasing a bad throw.

I highly recommend watching
- it basically teaches you how to throw a backhand by backchaining it. Originally it's from disc golf, but it translates really well to disc dog and a lot of the top competitors use it.

Also, have you tried rollers? They are a really good place to start and are like candy to dogs. Plus they teach your pup how to grab a spinning rim and are easier to track.

Takes are good to teach where to grab in air. A note on when to mark - you want to mark when the dog removes the frisbee from your hand, not when the teeth first hit the disc. Also, I'd use two discs (one in each hand) and swap back and forth. Keep one behind your back and entice away from the dog with the other, and when they grab and remove it from your hand, mark, and drop the other disc and entice away (and pick up the dropped disc)

Also, get a dog safe disc - you want one specifically made for dogs like the fastbacks, chompers, hero discs, or hyperflites. Discs you get in the dollar store are more brittle and will break into shards. You can also go for toy discs like the kong flyer (if they don't have holes in them) but they don't fly anywhere near as well. Also, the fastbacks are generally cheaper than the toy discs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts