Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just adopted my friend's 3 year old pit. Havent had a chance to get any dog food but I had a lot of raw chicken and hershey's chocolate bars in my fridge. Been giving her the raw chicken for dinner, talked to a vet about the chocolate, he said as long as its not Dove chocolate it should be ok. So i've been giving her the hershey's for dessert. She has had diarrhea all over my house ever since. Did the vet mean to say that ONLY DOVE CHOCOLATE is ok? Or is the raw chicken upsetting her stomach? should i have cooked it first?

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I wouldn't feed ANY chocolate. Most vets don't know dog nutrition that well, but no chocolate of any kind is pretty basic. Personally, I would be cooking the meat unless you've researched BARF & know what you're doing. For now, I would not feed for 12 hours to let the dog's stomach settle & try to get her to drink water. Tomorrow you can cook the chicken & feed that to her for a few days until the diarrhea clears. If she gets listless, take her to the vet. Once the diarrhea clears, get her on a high quality kibble (meat as first ingredient) & stay away from dessert from now on.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Here is a list of toxic foods you should not feed your dog (chocolate is one of them): ASPCA | People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets

FWIW, cooked chicken (with some rice if you prefer) is sort of the catch-all food to give a dog with an upset tummy (vomiting or diarrhea), but you wouldn't want to feed it for longer than a week since the dog isn't getting the right nutrients with that diet - and if they're sick longer than that, a vet visit is probably in order. This is also the reason you wouldn't want to feed raw (BARF) w/o researching it first because you do have to feed a mix of various raw organs, bones, fruits, and veg, as well as supplement vitamins (from what I understand).

A good quality dog kibble is much easier.

ETA: I also assumed the diarrhea was just today? How long have you been giving the chocolate, how much, and what is her weight? I would be very concerned if she gets worse.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was kidding about the chocolate haha i thought it was common knowledge that chocolate can kill dogs.. but i did really just adopt my friends 3 yr old pit and one of my other friends (dog owner) said raw chicken is good for them bc their bodies were made to digest raw meat.. i will stop feeding her this until i research more and switch to some dog food. thanks for the quick replies.

·
Registered
491 Posts
mm yes sees is very good. I love it around easter time when they have those huge eggs.. so delicious...

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
:rofl: The dog entry was pretty good. I didn't even see that. I like Lindor Truffles.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Whats sad is this same exact post has been done before. Many times. They seem to have two stories.

Fighting dogs.

Feeding them Chocolate.

You'd think with the wild bounty that is the internet. There would be a much more original try..

Always the one trick pony. Shame.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
491 Posts
coincidence? I think not....

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
mine seem to be food...

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Sooo creepy. I hate that. When I'm logged in to gmail + Facebook the whole interwebs advert system knows me better than anyone. I think I still get wedding ads the most. :p
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I love my dogs but wouldnt' share chocolate with them if they could have it...Ghiradelli's chocolate is amazing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts