Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
She has been doing this since she was age 1. She is now almost 9, and has had to be separated from the other animals in the house. She (Posh) is a black Lab mix.

The first incident occurred when she was 1, and I was holding my sister's Jackhuahua (Baby). Baby had previously been snapping at her and showing aggression, and I guess my Lab had enough. Baby growled at Posh while I was holding her, and Posh attacked. She grabbed her around the neck and started slinging her around. We finally got her to let go. The 2nd incident happened when Posh was 2 or 3. She saw Baby down the street, on a leash being walked by my sister. She attacked at random. But she let go rather quickly. The 3rd incident was horrible. My sister was in my room, and Baby got her toenail caught in her collar. Baby started yelping, which somehow triggered Posh to come running, and then she attacked her. She grabbed her around the neck and would not let go. She put many holes into Baby. Baby needed stitches.

A few months ago, Posh attacked my cat. Before, Posh had never had problems with my cat at all. She would even lay on the couch near him. Prior to this attack, Posh had been boarded because we went out of town. When we got back home, Posh hid under the bed. She usually only does this when she is scared or stressed. So I'm guessing she was stressed from being boarded. Well, I brought her into the kitchen with me and started giving her Fruit Loops as a treat. The cat heard the food hitting the floor, so he came running in there. He sniffed the cereal, and Posh attacked. She broke his lower jaw. I assumed a part of this was that she was stressed from being at the vet, and the other part was her not wanting to share her treat.

The most recent event happened when we were at a dog festival on Saturday. She attacked my other chihuahua horribly. She needed a ton of stitches and 2 drains coming out of her back. The chihuahua provoked it by snapping at Posh while close to me. Posh attacked within 1-2 seconds. Her grip on her was strong. We finally got her loose when someone pulled Posh's back legs.

What's so odd is that, Posh barely shows any signs of aggression before this happens. She doesn't growl, bark, or show teeth. She can be sniffing, freezes up for 1 second, and then attacks. And when she's attacking, it's like she is emotionless. She is not growling while attacking. People keep telling me to watch for the signs before she attacks, but I never see any. She attacks so quickly, without giving anyone enough time to see any possible warnings. I've been doing my best by keeping all my animals separated from Posh. But it makes me so sad to do this. Posh gets along fine with bigger dogs. But so far, she has only attacked small ones. She has never attacked or shown any aggression towards people. She loves people and is very submissive to them.

Any advice? :(

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Cat aside, it rather seems the chihuahua's you mention were the ones resource guarding.

Don't know if this is your case or not, but I find most small dogs get treated differently from larger dogs - and it holds especially true with the defensive Chi's. They typically are a one person dog and will defend its' owner. Mind you, they are small and can't inflict a whole lot of damage like a large dog can.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That really doesn't sound like resource guarding (the incident with the cat may have been), but it's hard to know exactly what's going on. I'd very strongly recommend you keep Posh separated from other animals and consult with a vet behaviorist or behavior consultant: Finding a Trainer, Behavior Consultant, or Behaviorist
Well, most of the incidences happened when the smaller dogs were around me and my sister. Or maybe it could be jealousy? She's being treated like a black sheep by the rest of my family, and it is very upsetted; especially since the Chi's instigated everything. Thank you for the link. I have to do something because this whole thing is getting out of hand.
Cat aside, it rather seems the chihuahua's you mention were the ones resource guarding.

Don't know if this is your case or not, but I find most small dogs get treated differently from larger dogs - and it holds especially true with the defensive Chi's. They typically are a one person dog and will defend its' owner. Mind you, they are small and can't inflict a whole lot of damage like a large dog can.
That sounds about right. My Chi's aren't being punished at all. But since Posh did the most damage, she's being treated like a criminal by the rest of my family. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts