Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1-year old Aussie/Lab mix named Gladys. Most of the time she is a very sweet and silly pup. However, her relationship with my 5-year and 3-year old kitties (whom we’ve had before we got Gladdie) is a little strained. She definitely seems to love them and is excited to see them when they come in from outside. However, if either one comes into our family room, she absolutely freaks out. She doesn’t seem particularly aggressive, but she definitely chases them out of the room. She doesn’t bite at them, bark or growl, but her running at the kitties is more than enough for them to run away. It’s worth noting that this family room is the room she primarily sleeps in. She also doesn’t seem to have a problem with them being in any other room.

I’m wondering if this behavior constitutes possessiveness or jealousy of some sort. If so, could someone kindly give some advice or tips to help curb this behavior?

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
It could be a form of resource guarding, with the room or perhaps a particular spot in it being the resource.

We have some advice on resource guarding here, I hope something in there might be helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be a form of resource guarding, with the room or perhaps a particular spot in it being the resource.

We have some advice on resource guarding here, I hope something in there might be helpful.

Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts