Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread, but I need some advice from multi-dog owners.
First of all, I am a huge animal lover, and I always have been. I got my first dog, Alphonse (first ever owned by me, I've had family dogs throughout childhood) a little less than a year ago when my now fiance, Brian, got him for me when he proposed to me, yes it was magical haha! This dog has absolutely become the love of my life. He is my best friend. We got him when he was 4 months old, but you can tell he's an old soul. He never chewed up a single thing, maybe had two accidents in the house, and is the kindest, sweetest dog I have ever met. Of course I'm biased, but to me he is also the cutest dog in the world.
In the past year I've had some huge life changes (getting engaged, graduating college, buying first home) and Alphonse has been through all of that with me. I can't state it enough, I love this dog. But because I care so much for him I'm also very over protective. Since we got our new home he's been lonely since we aren't living with my parents and their dog. He's started chewing on his nails and sleeping a lot while we are at work. Even though I take him for walks in the morning and every evening and play with him every day I know that he's not mentally stimulated enough anymore. So after talking about it for a couple weeks my fiance and I decided to get another dog (Alphonse loves other dogs).
The new dog is Lambeau (named after Lambeau field as we are avid packer fans living in Wisconsin) he is 5 month old dachshund mix that is also really sweet and nice. Normally I adore all dogs, but when we brought Lambeau home something didn't feel right. Lambeau and Alphonse play constantly with each other if they are in the same room and don't ever get aggressive, but it's hard to tell if Alphonse is really enjoying it. Plus he is a little jealous. I guess I am too, I'm used to having Alphonse all to myself and this dog keeps him occupied non stop when they are together. Lambeau also has a problem with mounting Alphonse because he isn't neutered yet. Alphonse will push him off, but it bothers me for some strange reason.
Brian seems to really love Lambeau, he's kind of a little tank and not scared of anything, where as Alphonse is pretty delicate, probably because I baby him too much. But I don't know if I can really love Lambeau, I feel like it will take away from my love for Alphonse and that breaks my heart to even think of. It's only been two days so I know it's too soon to have bonded with a new dog, but I still have this sick feeling in my stomach that somethings not right.
I'm really torn because I already miss how it used to be with just me my fiance and Alphonse, but I love animals and know that it's cruel to introduce a dog to a new home for a short time only to rehome them again. Ultimately, I just don't want to take anything away from my relationship with Alphonse, and I'm scared having a new dog will. Mostly, I want what's best for Alphonse, if having another dog will be really good for him then I will just have to deal with the fact that our relationship might change.
I'm hoping for some advice from you guys, did anyone else feel this way when they brought a new dog into their home? What are some ways to fight these feelings? Did having a second dog really improve your first dog's life?

I also realize this seems really insensitive towards Lambeau, he is a really sweet pup, and had I known I would have these feelings I never would have adopted him, I just need help navigating these feelings. Thanks.

The attached picture isn't the best but Lambeau is on the left and Alphonse is on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Getting a second dog can be a big change especially when your so used to it just being you and your dog. I had similar feelings when we first started looking for a second dog. Before I got the second dog I have now we tried two other dogs that didn't work out. In both cases I got really overwhelmed and I just felt that they and my current dog weren't getting along, I will admit I should have waited it out a little longer but comparing brining my current second dog home verses the other two I think I made the right choice. Anyways, even with my current second dog it took me a good 2 weeks or more to really feel comfortable having her and to really feel like she was my dog, now I couldn't imagine not having her.
Don't worry its not uncommon to feel a little out of place/order when bring home a new dog, no matter if its your first, second or sixth. Try giving it a couple of weeks, since your fiancé really likes him it might help to have him take over a handful of Lambeau's care. Take some time and just go out with Alphonse and spend some time with together, and do some stuff with just Lambeau. I suppose the best way to think about it is this is new for every one involved.
Just on the note of humping, he could be just overstimulated with being a new house with new people and a new dog. Try rederecting him when he does it.
Also there both adorable :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts