Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you ever do a panel to find out what he is?

Two years ago I adopted a similar looking dog from a shelter in Florida, and I'm pretty sure he's a chihuahua/basenji mix. He's got the rust coloring and tight curly tail, and same stature as the basenji, just smaller (15lbs at 3years old) and with a chi face. He doesn't bark, but boy can he whine/cry/howl. I've been stopped on the street three times by strangers asking me if he's full basenji.

I know basenjis aren't as common as labs, but I have 3 different friends with basenjis, so I think they're becoming more popular than people realize.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I have had the pleasure of knowing the Basenji. They are awesome, and I enjoyed him very much. I loved his voice, which was really strange, but intriguing.
I would say you have that in this pup, but what makes me wonder, not many Basenjis out there. Mystery to me.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
This thread is from 2011, and the OP hasn't been on in quite a while. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't believe there's anything wrong with asking a question on an older thread. The OP has been active this month, within the past couple weeks, so I don't think it's a stretch to think they're still around to answer the question.

I've never taken the time to do much research into my dog's genealogy, as I knew he was a mix breed and as a shelter dog I knew I'd never find concrete answers.

But this weekend yet another person stopped to ask me if he was a basenji, so I started google searching tonight and found this old thread, with a dog that looks similar to my Ralphie.

As I mentioned, I have several different friends with basenjis and am very familiar with the breed. The biggest clue to me is that my dog doesn't bark, but instead almost yodels when he gets excited (usually when he sees the neighbor's dog across the fence).

I was just curious to hear someone else's story about a possible chi/basenji mix.

OP, I would definitely love to hear if you got the panel done. Are basenjis even a breed they test for? (And your dog is adorable!)

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I don't believe there's anything wrong with asking a question on an older thread. The OP has been active this month, within the past couple weeks, so I don't think it's a stretch to think they're still around to answer the question.

I've never taken the time to do much research into my dog's genealogy, as I knew he was a mix breed and as a shelter dog I knew I'd never find concrete answers.

But this weekend yet another person stopped to ask me if he was a basenji, so I started google searching tonight and found this old thread, with a dog that looks similar to my Ralphie.

As I mentioned, I have several different friends with basenjis and am very familiar with the breed. The biggest clue to me is that my dog doesn't bark, but instead almost yodels when he gets excited (usually when he sees the neighbor's dog across the fence).

I was just curious to hear someone else's story about a possible chi/basenji mix.

OP, I would definitely love to hear if you got the panel done. Are basenjis even a breed they test for? (And your dog is adorable!)
Then feel free to PM them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Thanks AmandaNola, didn't see the date.
I guess I need new glasses and pay more attention to the dates of the threads.
Gosh, hate getting old.:(
Not a problem, HBM!:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am a new member, and not allowed to PM.

Please be considerate and don't hijack this post. I realize it may have annoyed you, but that was not the intention. I ask that you recognize that I have a genuine interest in this topic, and leave it at that. Thanks for your understanding.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts

Please be considerate and don't hijack this post. I realize it may have annoyed you, but that was not the intention. I ask that you recognize that I have a genuine interest in this topic, and leave it at that. Thanks for your understanding.
Just an FYI, I'm a Mod here. ;) Have a good night. :)

·
Banned
7,625 Posts

You might want to reconsider sniping at a Mod. Especially one who's trying to be helpfull by pointing out that the thread's REALLY old, which is really common curtesty since most people don't notice the dates.

And since when did they change it so new members can't PM? I swear it didn't used to be like that?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Wisdom panel results!

Got the results this morning! One parent is full blown Chihuahua! The other is full blown ketchup (heinz57)!

For possible breeds on the mixed ancestry we have (rounded %'s): Airedale Terrier 16%, English Springer Spaniel 13%, Rottweiler 8%, Miniature Bull Terrier 5%, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel 2%.

(Although it's still fun to say he's a miniature Basenji, especially when people who have had them insist he must be mixed with one :D )

·
Registered
9 Posts
He was found wandering around renton, wa. We scanned for a microchip--he had one, registered in Ca. They rehomed him to someone up here.
Chi-Basenji is my guess. I know it would be unlikely as Basenjis are not a common breed. So give me a guess as to how he got that corkscrew tail!
He hardly ever barks, if he does it's usually a single odd sounding bark. He makes funny noises, esp when he yawns or needs to go out. he likes to burrow under the covers.:D
He's about 12#
My recent adopted dog I believe is a basenji/chihuahua perhaps min pin mix breed. He looks a lot like your dog except he has a decked tail.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 40 Posts