Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He was found wandering around renton, wa. We scanned for a microchip--he had one, registered in Ca. They rehomed him to someone up here.
Chi-Basenji is my guess. I know it would be unlikely as Basenjis are not a common breed. So give me a guess as to how he got that corkscrew tail!
He hardly ever barks, if he does it's usually a single odd sounding bark. He makes funny noises, esp when he yawns or needs to go out. he likes to burrow under the covers.:D
He's about 12#

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah but he's not brachycephalic and I think Akita would make him larger:confused:
basenji would get the right ears, size, coat type, and tail.
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
It's so unlikely that he's crossed with a Basenji. It's like me saying 'Well, I found this purse on the floor, it doesn't have a label. It kind of looks like a Louis Vitton...so it probably is.'

Chi/Toy terrier mix is my guess. If he's chipped to someone in CA, FIND THEM! They're probably missing their baby.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Honestly he does look like a chi/basenji mix, he has the coat colouring, ears and the curled tail (though some chis have that too).

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I agree with Dawnben, as usually Minpins are docked, maybe when they aren't they would have a curly tail.

At the same time, even though Basenji are not common, there is nothing to say that there was not one bred with a Chihuahua.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
There must be a far greater amount of Basenjis running around knocking up bitches in US than the UK then. Here they're a rare breed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the ideas! I'm actually considering doing a Wisdom Panel to find out, you know, just for kicks.
Basenji's aren't that rare over here. They're not too common either, just not rare enough to rule it out.
And they guy he's chipped to gave him away, and that person does not want him at all.:(
But he's a great dog and I'm glad to have him!;)

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Have you tried to find the person that owned him after the person that chipped him?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you tried to find the person that owned him after the person that chipped him?
We (clinic I work at) found the person and called to tell him to come get his dog, he never did! we held him a week or so, calling this person every day! He just never came to get him. He never said he didn't want his dog, which would have made it much easier for us. Instead we held him and called and called and called:eyeroll:

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
not sure what you guys are seeing, but he looks like a typical byb california chihuahua to me I've see 100000 times.

Chili and Radar have curled tails, as do most chi's (as does the other chi I'm dogsitting this weekend), its a natural thing that occurs in the dog genome. When show breeders are no longer selecting for straight tails, this happens. Its a mutation thats a side effect of domestication, its not breed specific...

also basenji do not come in liver, and this dog has a red nose. Liver is recessive, meaning both parents needed to carry it.

if its mixed, I thing Dawnben is spot on, min pin carries that color and would be more likely to have the deformed tail (curled tail is a spinal malformity) The muscling is present in both breeds

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts