Dog Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, that's right. I should have listened to my friends on DF when they told me to toss out the rawhide, that the rawhide was probably contributing to his gas and possibly his issues with loose stool.

I thought: There's no way I'm tossing out the rawhide, Merlin loves those things. They're the only thing he reliably chews on.

Meanwhile his gas was terrible and his stool fluctuated from being well-formed and being loose. My friends, when they came over, did not enjoy the gas and I certainly didn't enjoy being dutch-ovened by my dog at night. I tried a number of supplements I could think of and was coming close to considering changing his food.

Finally, as a last-ditch effort to fix things before trying a food change, I gave in and tossed out all the rawhide I had. Merlin hasn't had any in about 48 hours. Surprise, surprise. He hasn't had terrible-smelling farts since. He has had some gas, but it was mild and (as far as I can tell) barely smelled, and it's infrequent now.

So, you were right DF. I should have tossed out the rawhide long ago. I should have listened when members here told me not to give Merlin rawhide! I'm sorry for my stubbornness. Hopefully my friends will be willing to start coming over again...

My advice to anyone else dealing with GI issues with their dog: start by tossing out the rawhide.

(The part about my friends is hyperbolic, they do still come over. Unfortunately the part about Merlin's rawhide farts is, unfortunately, not hyperbolic... they were terrible.)

·
Registered
904 Posts
My BF's dog has the most godawful farts, I have to leave the room. If we keep her off low-quality kibble, feed raw/fresh food and no rawhide or other 'junk' food, she's much much better. So I feel ya! :)

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Yes, that's right. I should have listened to my friends on DF when they told me to toss out the rawhide, that the rawhide was probably contributing to his gas and possibly his issues with loose stool.

I thought: There's no way I'm tossing out the rawhide, Merlin loves those things. They're the only thing he reliably chews on.

Meanwhile his gas was terrible and his stool fluctuated from being well-formed and being loose. My friends, when they came over, did not enjoy the gas and I certainly didn't enjoy being dutch-ovened by my dog at night. I tried a number of supplements I could think of and was coming close to considering changing his food.

Finally, as a last-ditch effort to fix things before trying a food change, I gave in and tossed out all the rawhide I had. Merlin hasn't had any in about 48 hours. Surprise, surprise. He hasn't had terrible-smelling farts since. He has had some gas, but it was mild and (as far as I can tell) barely smelled, and it's infrequent now.

So, you were right DF. I should have tossed out the rawhide long ago. I should have listened when members here told me not to give Merlin rawhide! I'm sorry for my stubbornness. Hopefully my friends will be willing to start coming over again...

My advice to anyone else dealing with GI issues with their dog: start by tossing out the rawhide.

(The part about my friends is hyperbolic, they do still come over. Unfortunately the part about Merlin's rawhide farts is, unfortunately, not hyperbolic... they were terrible.)

Sounds like me and The Honest Kitchen, I strongly suspect that it's what's causing at least some of Zody's gas and butt scooting, but for the past month, since I've starting suspecting it, I've been resisting buying him Fromm kibble and instead fighting with gas, and butt scooting. I didn't want it to be true because I really like THK. Yesterday did it though, I had gotten him to stop the butt scooting, and his gas was very minimal so for the past two days I added in a bit of THK to the turkey and rice I've been feeding him, only to have the butt scooting come back with yesterday being worse after I slightly upped the amount of THK. Today I broke down and ordered him some Fromm, and I'm gonna cry when I toss out a practically unused box of THK next week.

Have you tried cows hooves, bully sticks, or pigs ears?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like me and The Honest Kitchen, I strongly suspect that it's what's causing at least some of Zody's gas and butt scooting, but for the past month, since I've starting suspecting it, I've been resisting buying him Fromm kibble and instead fighting with gas, and butt scooting. I didn't want it to be true because I really like THK. Yesterday did it though, I had gotten him to stop the butt scooting, and his gas was very minimal so for the past two days I added in a bit of THK to the turkey and rice I've been feeding him, only to have the butt scooting come back with yesterday being worse after I slightly upped the amount of THK. Today I broke down and ordered him some Fromm, and I'm gonna cry when I toss out a practically unused box of THK next week.

Have you tried cows hooves, bully sticks, or pigs ears?
That's frustrating, but I'm glad you figured out the cause of it. =/
I haven't. I've tried to steer clear of hooves because I haven't heard good things about them, but maybe I should consider them?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
That's frustrating, but I'm glad you figured out the cause of it. =/
I haven't. I've tried to steer clear of hooves because I haven't heard good things about them, but maybe I should consider them?

They haven't hurt Zody's teeth but he's a gnawer and doesn't bite down hard on them.

Reactions: CadenceDiscordia

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
@Rain, Have you tried contacting the company and seeing if you can get your money back before you just chuck it?

It might be worth a chance, not sure if it'd work though since I've had the box for well over 2 months.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
@Rain, can you donate the THK to a shelter or rescue rather than tossing it out?
It's a base mix so I'm not sure if either would be able to use it since they'd have to buy meat to add to it. I think what I may do is post it on the Dog Forum flea market and see if anyone wants it. I really hate to just throw it out.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Isn't the honest kitchen also a member on here? Maybe ask them what they would recommend!

Reactions: CadenceDiscordia
1 - 14 of 14 Posts