Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Two weeks ago, today, I made the choice to adopt a dog from a non-profit rescue that pulls dogs that are scheduled to be euthanized in the overcrowded shelters here. I originally was going to foster her for the also overcrowded rescue, but chose to adopt because I did not have it in my heart to move her around anymore. She is about 1, and was trapped as a stray. Malnourished with little to no human contact, but no aggression shown in her eval., just very very fearful. They believe she is a whippet mixed with pit and who knows what else. Picked up at 18 pounds, now 24. :thumbsup: She went from being in the shelter for a few weeks, to a foster for 2 days, spayed at the vets and there for 2 days, and then to me 2 weeks ago. Poor lil one.

She will crate well, and is "house training" well ... because she will never come off of my bed. I put house training in quotes because I am not sure that, given the option, she would not just pee/poop inside if she wasn't so scared to move. I need to pick her up to take her downstairs to eat/potty. She just, as of yesterday, started walking out the door on her own to go to the bathroom, but I still need to carry her in. She will lock down all legs and not budge. She sleeps in her crate but for the past 3 nights she has cried around 2 or 3 am and I have let her out and carried her back in where she sleeps next to me quite happily for the rest of the night. When she is done eating, she will run back up the stairs and get on my bed and stay until I move her again. She shakes violently when someone she does not know comes in (men, particularly) and has just stopped all shaking with me and my two children. Progress. She seems to WANT to be near us, as she is at ease when we sit with her on my bed, and becoming quite playful outdoors with some tail wagging finally shown (only outside) If I bring her downstairs and sit her next to myself on the couch she will be at ease there too, often falling asleep to the point of snoring. But she is no where near acting like she will come down on her own, walk in the house leashed on her own or initiate contact on her own. I don't want to not carry her down to go to the bathroom because I literally think she will hold it to the point of being very uncomfortable, and I don't want to not carry her down for food and water as she is putting on much needed weight.

Any advice would be great - from what kind of dog she is, to helping her transition to my home. My home = me, my 8 and 6 year old who are very calm with her, and 2 cats who like her because she is so passive and shows them no interest. She LOVES other dogs. Her entire personality changes when around other dogs. (No I cannot have another dog) :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apologies: here is is. She has the face of a pit bull, and the body of a whippet. She looks exactly like a whippet, aside from her head. Breed advice is also appreciated on either.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please take a look at this site. Fearfuldogs.com

Debbie Jacobs also has a FB group of the same name. This is by far the place to start learning how to help your dog.
Thank you!! I really needed direction like that. I am all sorts of excited because this morning after her walk she ran upstairs like she normally does, but when she heard me put food in her bowl, she came back downstairs on her own to eat. A first!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't carry her let her go by her own and give her a treat You will get exhausted and she will get used to you doing it .
God emily78 you have no idea how much i appreciate people like you. I rescue my stray pit mix too Have her for 4.5 years and love her to death She is our second child .
At first when we got her we had to use to each other She didn't know what we want We didn't know what she want It was frustrating but it didn't take too long to understand each other OMG Love her to death and want another one. My husband never want one but now loves her My son want a small breed but now we all love her to death.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Congrats on your new pup , she is adorable .. I am glad she is feeling more comfortable . It is a big adjustment so it will just take some time . I am glad she has found a great home ..

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I adopted a dog that was born in the dump and had no human touch until she was about 9 weeks old. I put a slip leash on her and left it on during the day so I could direct her out doors and back in. This is my little cutey she is now 8 years old and a love bug.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you so much for rescuing !!! Appreciate people who does it I hate breeders I am volunteering at the local shelter and guess what we have pure breed puppies of boxers 5 of them confiscated for a breeder because they were not in a good conditions We have 150 dogs at the shelter and my friend works at the other shelter NYACC where dogs put down daily

·
Registered
35 Posts
Btw if anyone know who looking for a dog i can recommend good place to rescue almost in any state I have a few friends in California , S AND N Carolina who rescue death row I have friend in Georgia who has her own shelter and has 100 + dogs and 22 cats She needs volunteers . I know good rescue in other states So if anyone need help can e mail me [email protected] Also if anyone knows who can volunteer and help my friend in Georgia she can use some help

·
Registered
563 Posts
I am so glad that she found a good home! I feel terrible for abused and neglected dogs.

I recently adopted a fearful dog too, although she wasn't as fearful as yours. She resisted going through doorways and gates, she avoided eye contact and lowered her head when approached, and she basically just shut down when anyone was around. She laid down and slept constantly for about two days after I got her. My family thought that she was sick, but I was pretty sure that she was just too stressed to act like a normal dog. Sure enough, about 3 days after I got her, she began to act excited when I came home, and she gradually came out of her shell. After just 3 weeks, she's walking well on a leash, making good eye contact, jumping out of the car by herself, going through doors with only a tiny bit of hesitation, and coming to me for affection. She still has hesitation going into cars, and she is a little fearful of strangers, but she has made sooooo much progress. In terms of her relationship with me, she is pretty much like a "normal" dog now.

The only advice I can give you is to have patience, take baby steps, and practice with her a lot. I don't think it's necessarily bad to pick her up, especially if that's the only way to get her to another location. I picked up Layla a lot, and I still do sometimes when I need to get her in the car. However, it is best if you can try to get her to do it on her own. I had it a little easier with Layla because she became attached to me fairly quickly, so she naturally wanted to follow me. I was able to get her to learn how to walk through doorways and inside cars by simply going first and waiting for her to gather up the courage to follow. My other piece of advice is to expose her to a lot of new situations. You obviously don't want to traumatize her, but I believe that the more situations that she is exposed to with you by her side, the more she'll begin to realize that she finally has a new family and a new home. When I first took Layla new places (pet store, trails, parents' house), she was quite fearful. But I believe that the more times that I took her back home after a fearful experience, the more she began to realize that we always end up back at the same place, safe and sound, and I think that helped her to feel more secure.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good for you! I feel you on having a really fearful dog. When I was pet sitting there was one family who had Irish Wolfhounds. One was from a rescue situation. They have had him for over a year now. He wouldn't leave the bedroom unless you were literally dragging him. Now he'll go out into the living room and hang out in one of the dog beds. He's still really scared of everything, though. Poor guy. He was one of my favorites.

@Mourningsun - It's really unfair to say that you hate breeders. Owners are the reason for dogs in shelters; whether they were simply bad pet owners, weren't prepared for the dog they got, etc. A good breeder will almost always take back a dog they have sold if the owner cannot keep it for whatever reason; many even have that as a clause in their purchase contract. Poor breeders do contribute to the problem because they don't do anything right in the first place. But to say that breeders as a whole are bad is terrible. You cannot fault a good breeder who would take a dog back with open arms when the person who purchased the dog decides not to call them and just dump the dog somewhere. That's not the breeder's fault.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, all.

She is taking it day by day. Yesterday I decided to take her to my son's soccer game - many small children and people. She was SCARED. Like, literally trying to get away by using all of her might against the harness and walking on her back legs. I took her away from all the action and walked her around the park and she calmed a bit. Then she saw another dog and like it happens with her, her whole attitude changes. Tail came out, ears went up, and she was so so excited. After the dog left she was a little more relaxed. Not much. I sat with her on my lap as my son played and she shook. :( But, by the end of the hour she was much calmer and nearly stopped shaking. When we got back to my house, she seemed happy. If by happy it means she ran up to my room and got on the bed (her safe spot along with her crate) BUT when I walked up to check on her she was thumping her tail a bit. :D Then later in the evening, she fell asleep on her SIDE as opposed to a tiny ball. It was like she KNEW that because she was taken from there, and brought back to the same place after the game that she was at her home. At least, that is what I would like to think ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Skippersmom - You're right. I took her to my son's soccer game on Sunday and she was TERRIFIED. Her first public outing. When we got home and I let her in the house she ran to her normal spot, but it was also the first night that she started wagging her tail when I would walk into the room. It's like she understood that I was there for her and she was coming back to the same house now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good for you! I feel you on having a really fearful dog. When I was pet sitting there was one family who had Irish Wolfhounds. One was from a rescue situation. They have had him for over a year now. He wouldn't leave the bedroom unless you were literally dragging him. Now he'll go out into the living room and hang out in one of the dog beds. He's still really scared of everything, though. Poor guy. He was one of my favorites.

@Mourningsun - It's really unfair to say that you hate breeders. Owners are the reason for dogs in shelters; whether they were simply bad pet owners, weren't prepared for the dog they got, etc. A good breeder will almost always take back a dog they have sold if the owner cannot keep it for whatever reason; many even have that as a clause in their purchase contract. Poor breeders do contribute to the problem because they don't do anything right in the first place. But to say that breeders as a whole are bad is terrible. You cannot fault a good breeder who would take a dog back with open arms when the person who purchased the dog decides not to call them and just dump the dog somewhere. That's not the breeder's fault.
Larkspur i apologize if we think differently I am advocating dogs on facebook for 3 years . I saw so many beaten , tortured, left on a backyard not fed dogs and puppies that i will never change my opinion . There are million dogs put down every day. The way they say euthanized them ''humanly'' is not true I was volunteering with the shelter that put down daily 20 -40 dogs All dog are s scared and feel that something going to happened to them next 10 min they are petrified .
We have right now at the shelter pure breed boxers pups from the breeder who was neglecting them, i have coworker at work she is about 60 y old She was breeding before Then now years latter she took a dog for herself from the breeder Then she didn't want to crate it because the pup was crying and finally she came to me and told me she is tired and want to take the dog to the pond Now since i am volunteering at the shelter we just recently got Mama dog with 3 pups that someone found on someones yard all bones and skin So forgive me but i will never support any breeder because so many dogs dying every day and there is not enough people to help And i was yesterday on line until 3 am trying to find place for the beautiful dog that was put down today i will never understand why someone will pay a breeder when you can pay a rescue who safe dogs from death There are a few rescue who transport dogs form Afganistan , Greece , Thailand all over the world to safe them . There is Soi Dog foundation that need support they rescue dogs from meat trade Why would i buy from breeder. The dogs that Soi dog foundation helps are all tortured This site will banned me if i will post you a video what Thiland, Korea and china doing to dog They put them on fire while they alive They beat them on head, they boil them alive I did saw video of it They also clean the stomach before they kill them And all those dogs could be safe if people would rescue them And a lot of organizations will transport those to you but a lot people too busy buying dog from the breeder Sorry i will never understand or support I wish i can show you video and i wish you will stand there where i was standing when they put 45 dogs down at the shelter And guess what people who put them down not always nice because they want done job fast They very mean to those dogs And you know what i will not understand you even more if you still support breeding Your dog is pure breed but also can be found at the rescue because there are dogs like your breed some times end up at the shelter or rescue PLEASE DON'T BUY -ADOPT SAVE LIFE

·
Registered
290 Posts
@Mourningsun - You assume you know me. Most of my dogs have come from rescues, including my heart dog who was tragically killed (with his litter mate who we also adopted) at 2 years of age. I've only had one dog from a breeder and that was way back in '95 and he can from a very responsible and reputable breeder (who I believe is no longer in the business for reasons I do not know). So I am an advocate of breeding, yes, but reputable breeding only as well as adopting depending on your needs. For example, if you are in need of a serious herding dog with a perfect off switch you may be hard-pressed finding it at a shelter (depending on your location). You might end up with the perfect dog the first time, but if no you have to make a decision whether to keep it and try again or return it and keep looking. Most people, unfortunately, would return the dog. In a situation like that, you would have to try to find a breed-specific shelter or end up going to a breeder.

When you stop to think about it, the problem is NOT reputable breeders. These are people making sure their dogs are healthy inside and out, breeding maybe 1-2 litters a year (3 is pushing it for me), and with contracts that usually have clauses for spaying/neutering and returning the animal if for whatever reason it doesn't work out. There ARE bad breeders, BYBs, puppy mills... all of which should be completely illegal and banned IMO. I believe there should be a system in place to regulate breeders and license them. A good breeder almost always breaks even, if that, when their puppies sell (meaning what they spend on health testing, prenatal vetting, etc. they don't even make back or just do; they almost never profit). The REAL problem is the bad breeders along with (not necessarily bad) owners. Bad breeders usually won't take a dog back. People who dump dogs do it for various reasons - maybe they really are just horrible people, maybe they bit off more than they could chew and refuse to work with the dog (training it, fixing whatever the problem is), maybe they don't want to call the breeder and admit they can't keep the dog, maybe the dog is old or they're moving and they don't want to deal with it. None of that is the fault of a breeder. Honestly, the whole "adopt, don't shop" argument is incredibly flawed and biased. You can't lump good breeders in with all the craigslist and street people...

In essence:
BYBs and mills shouldn't exist.
People should think before getting a dog.

·
Registered
880 Posts
@emily78 Don't try to rush the public outing. You want her to fully heal, and feel comfortable. Trucker is very much like your baby, on the fear scale of 1(relaxed) to 10(TERRIFIED) he is on average a 15 in public situations except around other dogs. He is probably down to a 3 in my home and if he is within line of sight of me he is at a 1 and has been since I met him (so grateful he chose me). I have found that his thundershirt helps with the shaking he does when he is SUPER SCARED, but he is still tail tucked, eyes darting, and siting like he might bolt or locked up. But not shaking is an improvement. Yesterday we went to Petsmart for our behavior Modification Training and it was the first time he didn't lock up while in a public place (2 months after his adoption).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts