Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out awhile ago there is one breeder of karelian bear dogs in australia. The only one in australia. I contacted them 3 times months ago which no reply and today i contacted again asking 3 questions.
Are the parents hip scored?
How much are pups or older dogs?
Do you only give to show dog homes?
I got a reply today saying join my facebook page and i dont breed often next litter will be next yr or 2022. I replied in not on facebook, it seems to be impossible to get an answer to the questions. He replied back the same.
Seems to me like a terrible breeder if they cant answer the questions. I dont find them unreasonable to ask.
Its my dream breed and i would love one after my dog jesse passes which hopefuly is an incredibly long way off. Due to the rarity of the breed i would assume it would be over $10,000ish considering a crossbreed oodle is standard $5000 ish.
I would have to slowy save up over a lot of yrs but it may cost alot more than that i dont know. They are show judges and i think breed other dogs. So i dont know if they only want someone who will show them.
Im not wasting my time with them anymore. If they cant answer 3 simple qusestions they should not be breeding them or any other dogs and to me is a HUGE warning flag to stay away from them. So ill listen to my gut and not continue in the hope for a kbd after jesse.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I know what you mean when we decided to get a puppy I looked at Dutch breeds and someone I knew has a smoushound which are just cute as a button and not too large but to get one you have to agree to be part of the breeding/show program because they are even rarer than Murphys breed ..
I didnt even bother contacting the breeders I know showing and breeding is not in my list of desires.. Great dogs though

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you mean when we decided to get a puppy I looked at Dutch breeds and someone I knew has a smoushound which are just cute as a button and not too large but to get one you have to agree to be part of the breeding/show program because they are even rarer than Murphys breed ..
I didnt even bother contacting the breeders I know showing and breeding is not in my list of desires.. Great dogs though View attachment 247146
Very cute never heard of them. Im personaly against showing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I’m not a fan of showing so that’d mark it out for me. I also can’t stand the breeders when they’re “short” about questions. It just instantly kills them as a prospect for me.
the rare breed I’ve always wanted to at least see is the Tibetan mastiff. I love huge breeds so I’d really like to at least meet one in person at some point. Even though I’m tiny and it’d probably tower over me! 😂

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stunning dog you wouldnt want to mess with the owner. Ive seen 2 from a distance. They say they originaly bred with tibetan wolves which makes them suitable for high altitudes.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Do they only show the dogs? No hunting? Doesn’t sound like a good breeder for that breed then.

Was your plan to use the dog for hunting?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do they only show the dogs? No hunting? Doesn’t sound like a good breeder for that breed then.

Was your plan to use the dog for hunting?
There website is all about showing. The same with jesse i wouldve done alot of offlead bush walks and wouldve let it hunt rabbits, rats ect. They have a high prey drive. Wouldve had a great life but oh well there loss.

·
Registered
510 Posts
There website is all about showing. The same with jesse i wouldve done alot of offlead bush walks and wouldve let it hunt rabbits, rats ect. They have a high prey drive. Wouldve had a great life but oh well there loss.
I don’t know if I’m misunderstanding. You do mean real organized hunting of rabbits? And not just letting the dog chase wild animals they find on walks?

Are the kbd really good for that? I thought they were bred for big-game hunting and to bay.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don’t know if I’m misunderstanding. You do mean real organized hunting of rabbits? And not just letting the dog chase wild animals they find on walks?

Are the kbd really good for that? I thought they were bred for big-game hunting and to bay.
I mean chasing the animal himself. Yes what you said is what they were they were bred for. The school next door loves us we help control the bunny population.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts