Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'll confess, I need some help. I am seriously struggling with Heidi's potty training. Now, I have to take that with a grain of salt because I've only had her two weeks now.

Levi was EASY, he basically trained himself. He also was reliable once I had him on a schedule. 15 minutes after he ate/drank he was out, and would have a poop and pee. We had very minimal accidents in the house, and it was quick to get him going outside with a cry or a bark.

She is everything he isn't. I can't seem to get her schedule down. Sometimes she pees two minutes after she eats/drinks, sometimes she doesn't do anything until thirty minutes afterwards. Sometimes we wait outside on leash for 15 minutes and nothing, we come inside aaaaaand huge pee. I don't give her unlimited access to water because she seriously drinks a ton if I let her do that. I generally let her have a cup of water with each meal, and a cup for any vigorous exercise.

So a couple questions:

1. Is there anything I can do to stimulate the urge to go potty quicker? I try to take her to the spot where she has the most poops, but she is very interested in everything: sticks, rocks, grass, bugs, her harness, the leash etc etc.
2. Her poops are quite soft. Almost like soft-serve ice-cream, but a little bit firmer (as gross as that is). She gets Taste of the Wild puppy. Would adding a little bit of pumpkin help?
3. Not super potty-training related, but I've been reading Sophia Yin's "Perfect Puppy in 7 Days" . I'm enjoying her "Learn to Earn" philosophy, and look forward to implementing it (Heidi is already a pretty good sitter). BUT the tethering her to me is not good. She has zero interest in walking with me. She lays down and the only way she will move is to be lured with a treat, is that going to get better with time?

Thank everyone! :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I believe there is a section of Yin's book that talks about trouble housebreaking. Can't remember exactly but was something like the pup goes out on a 2 hour schedule, goes potty, reward some play time then back in the crate for another 2 hours then repeat. It was either in Yin's book or 'Puppy start right' by Kenneth Martin. If you can't find it I can try and locate it when I get home from work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts