Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Β·
Registered
Scotty, Standard Schnauzer, Age: 15-16 years old
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new to this Forum! I honestly had NO clue that there was forums like this! Thank goodness I found this!
Anyways,
My Husband and I have a Standard Schnauzer, he is about 15-16 years old I've had him since he was about a year old... & He's a bit overweight as well unfortunately 😬
Well I just need some advice or what not cause I am just not sure what's going on with my Son!
The past 3 days now he has just NOT been acting like himself & it's really starting to scare me....πŸ˜”πŸ€” First thing we noticed was whenever he'd get up from bed or go into the other room & comes back OR when he goes outside and comes back he'll just come in the room & just stand in there staring at the ground for like 10 minutes sometimes it feels longer but maybe I'm exaggerating exactly how long but it seems like that.....
The second problem we've noticed is well when we get his food he's ALWAYS chased us up and down the hallway into the kitchen as we're getting the food ready and all that just watching us of course and he's ALWAYS been the type to jump on it as soon as it was put down and started gobbling it all up & normally by the time we come back in the room (a minute or sometimes less) he'll ALREADY be done eating licking the bowl clean and everything! BUT NOW the past 3 days he doesn't chase us anymore doesn't bother even getting up to get ready for his food anymore, when he does finally get up after the food has been sitting there anywhere from up to 10 minutes to 1 hour he'll FINALLY get up, when he does he'll just stand infront of it staring at it for a good few minutes and SLOWLY eats I mean SLOWLY & he DOESN'T finish his food at all! He's done that a few times before, not finishing it BUT he'd ALWAYS come back to it the same day! & Now he doesn't even do that!
& OH! ANOTHER THING he's started doing 3 days ago, our boy LOVES food, treats especially! Well starting 3 days ago we handed him a treat & he started to slowly grab it but once like his tongue started touching it he let go really quick & did this like gagging thing, but I still have my hand out just incase he was just being picky or something but still does want it you know he ended up grabbing it from me, dropping it & then slowly slowly slowly eats it... But the thing is he's NEVER denied a treat EVER NOR has he EVER gagged like that? It was just so weird and everyday we try giving him a snack and he does the same thing each time...πŸ˜”πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

So far I'm trying to get ahold of a clinic my In laws go to, to take their dogs too, so I can take him there hopefully this week IF there's any openings if not I'm PRAYING for next week the LATEST otherwise I'll just have to take him somewhere else!πŸ˜¬πŸ˜”
We'll see what happens I'm waiting for a call or email back today, if I hear nothing from them I'll be calling a different clinic to see if I can take him too!πŸ₯Ί

I'm just worried about him....

Does ANYONE have ANY IDEA what it might POSSIBLY be?

I don't know what I would do if it IS something serious, it would just literally kill me inside!

Thank you to everyone who took the time out of their day to read this & to whomever replies as well! We REALLY appreciate it more than you'll EVER know!
I hope you ALL have a great day!😏
STAY SAFE AND STAY STRONG!😷
GOD BLESS YOU ALL!πŸ™πŸΌ

Β·
Super Moderator
4,187 Posts
Hi. He is an old man, so a thorough check over is a good idea, including teeth and gums since his habits around food seem to have changed.

just stand in there staring at the ground for like 10 minutes
It is possible this is a sign of canine cognitive dysfunction, doggy dementia. There are medications that can help so definitely ask the vet.

I hope you get some answers, please let us know.

Β·
Registered
Scotty, Standard Schnauzer, Age: 15-16 years old
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. He is an old man, so a thorough check over is a good idea, including teeth and gums since his habits around food seem to have changed.

It is possible this is a sign of canine cognitive dysfunction, doggy dementia. There are medications that can help so definitely ask the vet.

I hope you get some answers, please let us know.
Thank you VERY much for that! I didn't even consider it could possibly be dementia πŸ˜” Poor guy! I will definitely keep y'all updated!
Thank you again!πŸ™πŸΌ

Β·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi I can't guess over the net, but make sure the vet you go to takes a blood and pee sample. My knee jerk reaction is it's something with his mouth (maybe sore gums/teeth) seeing he's like that with every food, but it could also be something affecting his appetite. If you find it early, there are steps you can take to make it better.

How's his tum? No vomitting? Gurgling? Has his water intake increased? If it has, make sure he has access to lots of fresh water and if you can, take him out often to eliminate.

Β·
Registered
597 Posts
Just to add, when you do get a vet app, bring in a sample of his pee in a sterile container (no soap or any other residue) so you have it there if they ask. Actually my advice is to have it analysed whether they suggest it or not.

My girl was 14.5 years old at her last annual exam and the vet didn't take a blood sample or even mention that they didn't (thought it would be protocol for an old dog, but apparently I had to ask specifically) 😒

1 - 5 of 5 Posts